OT: Venting

In case anyone is wondering, the Microsoft LifeCam HD-6000 is a major piece of shit.

I don't lose my cool very often, but I just ripped that fu^king thing off my monitor and threw it in the trash. The installer is slow, but completes without incident. Reboot. No worky. Try again. No luck.

And of course, the usual "danger signs" along the way:

1) Kills Skype during install. 2) Wants to shell out to Microsoft to load tons of unwanted (and probably unnecessary) codebloat user applications, like photo album bullshit I do not need, or want. 3) Wants a reboot after install. For what? Really? For a fu&king webcam? You got to be kidding. 4) Wants me to do the "Shoots and Ladders" troubleshooting routine 5) Which itself causes a crash (of sorts), resulting in a dialog box asking me if I would like to report the problem to Microsoft.

Umm, no. Not really.

It was a gift, or I'd return it. (Not like I really "needed" it in the first place..) I swear, in my next lifetime, I am going to spend ZERO HOURS debugging Microsoft's crap. My time is worth more than that, even if my sanity isn't.

/Rant Off. (Thanks for listening. I feel better now.)

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Martin Riddle

I bought a Logitech cam at Best Buy, figuring that the Microcrap stuff would be the usual nightmare. It works with no software installed at all: I plugged it in, opened "My Computer", and there it was. Double-clicked, and saw realtime video. Then I got YAWCAM, free, 4 megabytes, and it nabs pics automatically and posts them to my FTP site.

I was shocked. Everything worked.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/CABIN.JPG

John

Your Christmas lights are still on, John.

Reply to
John - KD5YI

Probably on a timer. I get a completely black image. John should install a near IR lamp so we can see racoons making out on his BBQ during the night :-)

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I need a better cam, now that I have everything working. Better distance focus and better night vision would be great. I could do some IR illumination under the deck, too.

The big problem isn't racoons, it's bears!

John

Hmmm...

Pingable but not reachable..

PING jjlarkin.lmi.net (66.117.156.8) 56(84) bytes of data.

64 bytes from jjlarkin.lmi.net (66.117.156.8): icmp_seq=1 ttl=246 time=256 ms 64 bytes from jjlarkin.lmi.net (66.117.156.8): icmp_seq=2 ttl=246 time=261 ms 64 bytes from jjlarkin.lmi.net (66.117.156.8): icmp_seq=3 ttl=246 time=257 ms

Connected to jjlarkin.lmi.net.

421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.
Reply to
Risto Sainio

Risto Sainio Inscribed thus:

Works for me ! Whats that thing that looks like a gnome with its arms outstretched ?

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

The brownish thing, middle-top-center? That's a neighbor's bear box. We have to put all our trash in bear boxes. His is wood, which they'll open if they are in the mood. Hell, they'll open cars if they're in the mood.

John

Some fraction of the people here, 5% maybe, can't see files on my FTP site. I don't know why.

I just open these pics with Firefox.

John

Didn't work for me, with Firefox. If I stick the URL into Exploder it opens WSFTP and then the file. Works with Safari. I installed the FireFTP add-in and now it works in Firefox.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Works for me with FireFox and AFAIK I don't have FireFTP plugged-in.

Reply to
krw

Try cut-and-paste into Firefox rather than clicking on the link.

John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

Er, copy-and-paste.

Reply to
John - KD5YI

John Larkin Inscribed thus:

Sounds a bit scary ! The worst thing we have is the odd fox. But they have learnt how to get into the trash bin. Thanks:

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

I just click on the link in Thunderbird. It automatically starts Firefox, and goes to your .jpg and shows it. The date: 20011-01-09,

15:52:03 is about one and a half minutes slow. Using Linux PCLOS.
--
Virg Wall
Reply to

...like ME??

Reply to
Robert Baer

VWWall Inscribed thus:

Same here ! I use Knode. Clicking on the link opens the default browser, in my case "Chrome". Running "OpenSuSE 11.1, KDE3.5.10"

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

I use FireFTP to put the files up, but the regular browser thing shows them fine.

John

No, he means the big hairy, snarling bears. Oh, NEVERMIND! ;-)

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell