"6000 count" display?

Some DMM manufacturers state that the display of a meter is "6000 count" capacity.

With all those 4 digits, the display could show 9999.

Why is it called "6000 count"?

Thank you.

Reply to
Gloria West

The link didn't work for me. Anyway, the DMM is probably programmed to read up to 5999. The majority of DMMs can display up to 1999 and are called 3 1/2 digit types. Those reading up to

3999 are often called 3 3/4 digit types. Those going up to 19999 are called 4 1/2-digit models, and so on.
Reply to
pimpom

I've been used to seeing that nomenclature: 3 1/2, 4 1/2... Had not seen the spec called "Display Count" as 6000, etc.

Reply to
Gloria West

"Gloria West"

** Cos that IS in fact the largest reading possible on the particular meter.

There are 2000, 3200, 4000, 6000 etc count meters on the market that all use 4 digits.

The really important difference is in the accuracy built into each model - there is really no point in having more than 2000 counts shown if the basic accuracy is only 1%.

Generally, 2000 count meters have 0.5 % DC accuracy, 3200 count meters

0.3%, 4000 count 0.25% and 6000 count 0.15%.

The principle being that in the worst case situation, where only 10% of the available count is visible - the meter's inherent * inaccuracy * affects only a single count.

The worst case is when the reading is just a tad over what the next lower range will accommodate - like 201 mV on a 2000 count meter.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

This is where a so-called 3 3/4 DMM (up to 3999) comes in useful for me as the standard mains voltage here (India) is 230V.

Reply to
pimpom

--
See page 2 of:

http://www.intersil.com/data/an/an017.pdf
Reply to
John Fields

David Jones does a nice job explaining counts in his EEVblog.

See:

or, if the line wrap in the above causes trouble:

then look at EEVblog #26 - Multimeter Counts, Accuracy, Resolution & Calibration

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr