OT: "unsalted" butter

Seems everyone is a liar; "unsalted" butter runs from a low of 2% to 10%. And I really like non-existent whipped butter.

About as bad as "unsalted", "low salt", and "no salt" crackers; each category having a rather specific and tight range of salt.

So you may be forced to "DIY" if your doctor tells you eating foods with salt may severely shorten your life.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Baer is Off with the Fairies. ===============================

** Total Garbage !!

Even "salted butter" never exceeds 2%.

10% would choke a brown dog.

Where does he drag this crazy crap up ?

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On a sunny day (Wed, 15 Sep 2021 00:13:48 -0700) it happened Robert Baer snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com wrote in <16a4ed70383b631e$1$1696463$ snipped-for-privacy@news.thecubenet.com>:

Maybe take what your doctor says with a grain of salt? I use lots of salt in everything I cook. The table salt you buy here contains iodine.. helps against radiation sickness. And I always buy salted butter.

OTOH if you had some blood test that shows you should not take salt things may be different. But that is nit the normal. Endless media crap -to much sugar (and then they die earlier from the surrogate) No this no that,..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The doctor preached low salt to my wife. That put her in the hospital for about a week due to low sodium. She now takes a salt pill or part of one most days to keep the sodium level up.

While it may be something about radiation, iodine has been added to salt for many years because your body needs some to prevent other things that makes the thyroid gland function correctly.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I dug (google) it up a bit. 1 table spoon of butter has 2mg. You would need to eat 500 spoons a day for 2400mg DV. I think we should worry more about sugar than salt.

Reply to
Ed Lee

1200 spoons
Reply to
Ed Lee

That might not be right. It should be around 50 to 100 spoons, or 1% to 2% DV. Still, sugar is more a problem than salt.

Reply to
Ed Lee

I don't worry about sugar or salt. I think that all the hype about sugar is to get people to buy into the sugar subistutes. Some of them are really bad for you. I just do not eat that many sweet things. My blood sodium is in the normal range,so I do not worry about salt.

I remember the 'study' done on sacrin a number of years ago. Caused bad problems in mice. Bump it up to human size and it was more than a gallon a day every day. I doubt that anyone would ever use that much sacrin even in one week. Almost anyting in excess can cause problems.

Just looked on ebay for a lawn mower part. A metal and plastic part for the pull starter. Note on it says it can cause cancer and other bad things in the state of California. What do they think people are going to do with it, eat it or breath it in ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I only take natural sugar. I drink lots of orange juice to get rid of my sore throat, but 2 to 3 cups would use up my DV allowance. I also OD on ice-cream occasionally.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Easy fix... don't use it in California.

If you live in California, *everything* causes cancer.

Reply to
John S

"Unsalted Butter has no added salt"

If the nutritional analysis lists sodium then it must be naturally occurring in the milk.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

"Unsalted" means they didn't add salt to what the cows donated. That's not the same as "salt-free."

Best to not eat butter if you are endangered by salt.

The soft Kerrygold butter is great for buttering bagels. It's all cow stuff; some soft butters are full of weird greases.

One of the ingredients in Unscented Right Guard is "fragrance."

Salt is necessary to survival. The cows would die on a no-salt diet.

There has to be some legal limit to "low salt" or "reduced sodium" because we could detect parts per billion.

Reply to
jlarkin

I thought so:

Fred Bloggs

I was suffering from excess sodium in my diet. This caused high blood pressure and water retention.

I found a solution: switch to a salt free product. It substitutes potassium (which we need anyway in our diet) for sodium, and it tastes exactly the same as ordinary sodium salt. It's a bit more expensive but you use so little it doesn't matter.

It is made by Windsor. Highly recommended.

Steve Wilson

A healthy body knows what it wants and excretes any excess.

Reply to
jlarkin

Yes; see "Derbyshire neck" or goitre.

The reason potassium iodide is used for radiation poisoning is to reduce caesium's ability to "settle" in the thyroid.

Potassium-40 is, of course, radioactive itself.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yes, it is, I forgot about the radiation safety course I had to take every year for work. A man giving the talk had a bottle of the salt subistute and held it to a giger counter and showed how it had natural radiation in it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

onsdag den 15. september 2021 kl. 09.13.57 UTC+2 skrev Robert Baer:

nonsense, unsalted is ~0%, salted is ~1%

2-10% would be inedible
Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I think he may have not understood her *complete* diet.

It is easy to hit your RDA of sodium. Many people salt their veggies, meat, etc.

Lots of other items have sodium in them. Look at a slice of bread. Or, a cracker -- even "unsalted" ones. Cheeses, deli meats, milk, etc.

Or, baked goods (even if no NaCl, there will often be other leavening agents that contain sodium).

[I have to be particularly careful when baking for friends with true "salt issues" -- like congestive heart failure]

Water softeners add sodium to your drinking water (depending on hardness; here, it's common to see 100+mg in every quart of drinking water. If you assume you drink at least three quarts daily (tea, coffee, etc.) then that's another 300-500mg of "hidden" salt.

And don't even think of salt on your popcorn! :>

So, if he had considered her a "normal" eater, he likely assumed she was getting more than enough "hidden" sodium and just wanted her to avoid *adding* salt to foods.

That may have been a bad assumption.

Reply to
Don Y

Yes, my initial result from google seems incorrect. 1% to 2% salt is more reasonable. We avoid butter more because of the fat than salt.

Reply to
Ed Lee