OT: The land is sinking

9 meters subsidence between 1925 and 1977 in the San Jocquin Valley, CA for instance:

This aquifer depletion related subsidence is permanent, there will be no recovery of aquifer capacity regardless of future precipitation. With snowfall in the Sierra Nevada mountains at 5 to 6% of normal, usually 30% of California's water supply, there will be no surface water available to many farmers for the second year in a row, and well drillers are booked solid for the next two years, partly replacing wells that have gone dry and partially attempting to make up for the lack of surface water, so the rate of subsidence is increasing, reportedly at centimeters per week in places.

Skiing at Sugar Bowl must have really sucked this year :-).

Reply to
Glen Walpert

The Central Valley was, not so long ago, and inland sea. It was drained, and some of the subsidance may be ongoing from that. We should restore it!

It wasn't bad. It was cold, so they made snow. Up high, on Mt Lincoln at 8300 feet, the natural snow was fine. A little grass and rocks here and there just make things more interesting. Hardly any lift lines!

Pics from December:

I quit taking statins, and I felt like my skis had turned to wings.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Hard to have sympathy. When I lived in Dublin CA, I walked to work. One of my complaints was that I had to walk in the street because they would turn the sprinklers on and water the sidewalk every morning. They had to keep th is 2 foot wide section of grass between the street and the sidewalk green. I was of the opinion that Californians hate California. I liked hiking thro ugh all that brown grassland watching the raptors. Californians on the othe r hand were watering everything and planting palm trees. "We have a Mediter ranean climate!" Commercials about happy cows in green pastures. Where are these green pastures? Californians need to learn to love brown, tan and bei ge or leave.

Reply to
Wanderer

Oh, hell no! No one else wants them.

Reply to
krw

MtLincolnDropoff.jpg

That does look like good skiing, although I gather the December snows were about the last you got this season. The snow was very good at Killington VT this year, with even the steep slopes with no snowmaking having good natural snow coverage for a change, and little to no lift lines mid-week when I ski, as usual. I tried Sugar Bowl once while visiting a sister in Auburn; nice area but a bit tame for my taste.

Thanks for the warning about statins!

Glen

Reply to
Glen Walpert

Here in the East the rivers are slow and the mountains are flat. Vermont's only count as mountains east of the Mississippi.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs (From British Columbia, where there are actual mountains.) ;)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Compared to the slopes in New Jersey and Georgia, the Vermont slopes are simply huge. ...and they have snow (Vermont is a good place for it) ;-)

Reply to
krw

no

30%

the

of my complaints was that I had to walk in the street because they would tu rn the sprinklers on and water the sidewalk every morning. They had to keep this 2 foot wide section of grass between the street and the sidewalk gree n. I was of the opinion that Californians hate California. I liked hiking t hrough all that brown grassland watching the raptors. Californians on the o ther hand were watering everything and planting palm trees. "We have a Medi terranean climate!" Commercials about happy cows in green pastures. Where a re these green pastures? Californians need to learn to love brown, tan and beige or leave.

Compare krw and John Larkin as potential immigrants. Can't think versus doe sn't think ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

We got a little more a couple times, enough to make it OK. In 2011, SB got 80 feet up top.

The snow was very good at

There's some serious, too serious for me, steep stuff at Sugar Bowl.

Note that people SKI that mess! Those are volcanic rocks, about as friendly as broken glass.

SB has a new chair this year too, Crows Peak, pretty good stuff. SB is still a friendly, locals-mostly area. Squaw, Alpine, and Northstar have gotten too glitzy, fur and jewelry stores and Ritz Carltons, and over $100 lift tickets. Barely a hot dog to be found. Full of rich foreign tourists. I'm afraid that Truckee may be the new Aspen. My senior unrestricted pass at SB is $399, with 4 days at Squaw thrown in... that's worth over $400!

I thought I was getting too old to ski hard. Off statins, I was screaming down the bowls, 1500' vertical at once, laughing all the way to the bottom.

Auburn's a really nice town. Too bad Mary Belles has closed.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Dublin is just a flat burb full of ranch style houses with pools and lawns and Volvos and Priuses. Dilbert lives in Dublin. Really.

The coast and the Sierras are great. The middle is driveover territory with the occasional In-n-Out Burger.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

0%

he

f my complaints was that I had to walk in the street because they would tur n the sprinklers on and water the sidewalk every morning. They had to keep this 2 foot wide section of grass between the street and the sidewalk green . I was of the opinion that Californians hate California. I liked hiking th rough all that brown grassland watching the raptors. Californians on the ot her hand were watering everything and planting palm trees. "We have a Medit erranean climate!" Commercials about happy cows in green pastures. Where ar e these green pastures? Californians need to learn to love brown, tan and b eige or leave.

Dublin is in denial:

"Right now, Dublin's water restrictions forbid the filling of any empty swi mming pools. The city is hoping the weather will change by the time they op en their new water park in two years."

What a dreary cesspool that place is...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

No more Mary Belle's? That is too bad. Great place. BTW how are the ribs?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yeah, great people and great food. The owner had health problems.

My ribs? 11 are fine, one is getting better.

If you mean BBQ ribs, we're still searching for something good.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Dublin's not bad, but it's just a standard burb with a small downtown. It's a gem compared to lots of places in the US.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

CA

e no

th

y 30%

le to

ked

dry

o the

in

e of my complaints was that I had to walk in the street because they would turn the sprinklers on and water the sidewalk every morning. They had to ke ep this 2 foot wide section of grass between the street and the sidewalk gr een. I was of the opinion that Californians hate California. I liked hiking through all that brown grassland watching the raptors. Californians on the other hand were watering everything and planting palm trees. "We have a Me diterranean climate!" Commercials about happy cows in green pastures. Where are these green pastures? Californians need to learn to love brown, tan an d beige or leave.

swimming pools. The city is hoping the weather will change by the time they open their new water park in two years."

Looks REAL bad, almost as bad as that Plano, Texas hellhole:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

CA

e no

th

y 30%

le to

ked

dry

o the

in

e of my complaints was that I had to walk in the street because they would turn the sprinklers on and water the sidewalk every morning. They had to ke ep this 2 foot wide section of grass between the street and the sidewalk gr een. I was of the opinion that Californians hate California. I liked hiking through all that brown grassland watching the raptors. Californians on the other hand were watering everything and planting palm trees. "We have a Me diterranean climate!" Commercials about happy cows in green pastures. Where are these green pastures? Californians need to learn to love brown, tan an d beige or leave.

swimming pools. The city is hoping the weather will change by the time they open their new water park in two years."

I haven't been in Dublin in over 10 years, but I lived in an apartment. I w alked to work, to the supermarket, to the Walmart, and to the BART station. I could hike the Iron Horse Trail everyday. I would not want to live in th at overpriced traffic nightmare between San Francisco and San Jose. My comp laint about Dublin was that they watered the sidewalks.

Reply to
Wanderer

Subsidence may be occurring at the surface, but the bulk of the landmass is actually rising there:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Looks pretty good to me, nice clear section to the right of the lift. Unfortunately not open while I was there, and I spent most of the day giving my brother's kids lessons on the bunny slopes near the lodge. SB is a great place for learning, very kid friendly.

If you wipe out and hit your head on a rock it doesn't much matter what kind of rock. One of my friends died that way. A helmet might have saved him - I always wear one now. I avoid very rocky areas like the left of the lift in your picture these days too, old geezers like me don't bounce as well as we used to, and fast cruising on easier slopes is more fun.

Sounds good. SB is definitely nicer than any of the Tahoe areas I tried, friendlier and much shorter lift lines. The two may be related, nothing like long lift lines to put you in a bad mood. I will give it another try if I get out there in the winter again, but my sister has moved so it is not too likely.

Sounds great! My kind of skiing! Plenty of that at Killington too, with about 200' more vertical (3000' total vertical but not accessible from one lift). We rent a house on the side of a trail, ski down to a lift in the morning and back to the house at the end of the day. Not too many areas offer that kind of convenience.

One of my ski buddies recommended doing deep knee bends while brushing your teeth every day to get in shape for skiing, which works well for me. I do some of them on one leg at a time until just feeling a tiny bit of burn, then switch to two legs, all year long, and I find that my legs hold up to skiing much better now. You might want to give it a try.

Reply to
Glen Walpert

It's clean, peaceful, quiet, has lots of things for kids to do. Some people like to live in a detatched house with some space around it, and a place to park their boat or RV. I've done that, and wouldn't do it again, but I don't mock people who like that sort of thing.

Plano is, well, a little flat. I grew up in flat, and I prefer a bit of 3D now.

Where do you live? What's it like? I'm sure it's wonderful.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That's better than ebola and snipers!