circular saw problem?

Hi.

I got a Titan circular saw from Screwfix a couple of years ago.

The brushes had worn down to the springs about a year ago. I had contacted Screwfix who then directed me to a spare parts supplier. I then bought a new set of brushes. I have since installed these.

Ever since then I've always had a lot more blue sparking from the commutator (visible through the ventilation vents). I put this down to the brushes bedding in from a flat surface to a curved one.

Now tonight, whilst cutting pallets, I now have yellow sparks coming from the other end of the motor.......

Is this something I should be concerned about? What is causing it? is it repairable or shall I need a new circular saw?

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

"Stephen" wrote in news:z8idnZ2PkK1 snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

I had a similar problem with my Makita 6095 drill/driver. (blue sparking) I used CRC MAF-sensor spray cleaner to wash out the powdered graphite on the commutator tht was left over from the worn brushes. No more sparking.

yellow sparking would seem to indicate some sort of ferrous metal burning. maybe it needs lube,if the bearings aren't too far gone.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Or shorts to the iron of rotor or stator which explains the original and replacement brushes, blue sparks from excess rotor current

Reply to
N_Cook

The tale deepens....

as mentioned before I had recently replaced the brushes. This was after serious use involving fitting a kitchen, bathroom, garden fence, chopping up old fencing and old wood windows for fire wood etc etc.

I have not had as much use on the second brushes. Today I have inspected them One is half worn and the other is completely worn down to the springs.....

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

up

So a fault leading to more current than the brushes are designed for and/or rough/broken/accreted commutator lands

Reply to
N_Cook

up

Doesn't a 'shorted' turn on a motor burn out brushes?

Usually accompanied by loss of torque.

Reply to
Robert Macy

"Stephen" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

sounds like your commutator is damaged and is abrading the brushes too quickly. often,commutators are turned smooth before replacing the brushes.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik