OT Sylmar Fire

Just wondering if the Sylmar fire

has hit the nat'l or internat'l n00z. Out here in LA county, it's currently showing live on channels 2, 4, 5, 7, and 11, and has been since about 3 AM that I know of.

So, since there's nothing but the fire on TV, I decided to annoy the newsgroup. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It's currently the top story at

.

I was planning to go here today:

Looks like I'll be changing my plans.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

Our thoughts are with you Rich. Hang in there!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I recall some "California fire" on TV here in NZ, video of flames, wind-born sparks, mention of "Santa-Anna" winds, it got 3-5 minutes out of a "1 hour" news broadcast.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Its been on the Australian news for a day or two now and looks pretty bad even to us who have huge fires some summers.

John G.

Reply to
John G.

Im sitting in my travel trailer in Ontario, and watching the Yorba Linda fire coming over the ridgeline. Its about 8 miles away

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Bastardized from "Santana" which roughly translates from "Devil Winds" in Spanish. It's a hot and dry off shore wind from high pressure over the inland high desert areas, and it gets even hotter and drier from friction as it gets moving toward the ocean.

The only advantage is, it's a classic wind pattern the local Fire agencies have seen a LOT of times in the same burn paths. If the winds stay out of the insane 70-MPH-plus range they know where the fire is headed and can often be two jumps ahead. With a bit of time to get staged and ready, they can do effective structure protection.

We haven't had any rain to speak of this year (a few scattered showers a few weeks ago) so the brush is bone dry and the humidity is below 10% - only takes a couple of power lines bumping in the wind, make sparks that reach the ground, and it's "Off and Running!"...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman