Why just digiboxes catching fire?

Assuming mains neutral fault and not lightning strike. Why just digiboxes bursting into flames , not TVs , cell phone chargers etc

'+digiboxes+all+burst+into+flames+at+once+due+to+power+surge/article.do

Mayhem as neighbours' digiboxes all burst into flames at once due to power surge Last updated at 07:37am on 06.03.08

A massive power surge triggered a number of TV digiboxes to burst into flames on one street as firefighters dashed from house to house.

The set-top boxes began spitting sparks and residents living on the street described the road as being "lit up like Blackpool Pier".

Firefighters had to go from house to house asking people to unplug their electrical items as panicked home-owners ran into the street.

N Cook

I would guess that a lot of it is just 'newsrag speak' to sensationalise an unusual, but otherwise mundane event. It's hard to see from the picture just what has burnt, but I'd be surprised if the boxes were catching light as a result of some internal failure, before the fuse blew. If they did, and there was a genuine risk to life and property, then the manufacturers need to take a very serious look at the materials they are using in the box, and what can be done to minimise the risk. It doesn't say exactly what sort of 'digiboxes' these are, but I would guess that they are probably 'electrical barn' and supermarket Freeview boxes that are made in China, and cost 20 quid retail. If that is the case, then trading standards need to investigate the reasons, and get them withdrawn, if there is an issue.

As to why the digiboxes rather than other devices. Who can tell? About all that I can say is that the power supplies are pretty small, and everything is rated to run by the skin of its teeth in the first place, so it doesn't take much out of the ordinary to fry them. One such supply that I work on, for instance, is a complete standby supply in a little 7 pin DIL chip. Now

380v flying around in a chip that size, just ain't right ...

The supplies used in TV sets and computers and so on, tend to be a bit more robust, and many other wallwart supplies are still linears, although I will grant you that a substantial number are now switchers, and any that were plugged in may well have also been fried by whatever caused this 'newsworthy' event, but the owners would not have seen anything, as they are completely enclosed.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

But Arfa, the whole road was lit up like Blackpool Pier! Shirley no one would make that up?

;)

Ron

Reply to
Ron(UK)

bad or lazy reporting, sounds like second hand information to me.

whilst i suppose with the newer cheaply made stuff it is not impossible for there to be some burnup, on the devices i have repaired which had suffered surges, 99% of the time a resistor or transformer primary in the power supply had opened up before any fireworks. even the traces on the pcb had gone o/c on a couple of items...

-B

ours'+digiboxes+all+burst+into+flames+at+once+due+to+power+surge/article.do

power

street

an

just

and

'electrical

investigate

more

will

are

I know someone who was up at 3am when his street was affected by such a surge, blew the room lamp and hall lamp after glowing like floodklights and breaking TV. stereo etc but nothing caught fire.

I was most impressed by this local ITV coverage, yesterday or day before, of this sort of matter. Including showing the internals of a SMPS with just 1mm between live and consumer side pcb tracks. Informative and quite technical

My browser corrupts this site but URL something like

Top tips for avoiding unsafe chargers and adaptors

[i-charger]Most of us plug in, switch on and charge up everyday but with millions of cheap, substandard copies of the latest gadgets and gizmos available online it could actually be our lives that we're playing with.

An exclusive investigation by our consumer team has revealed that many items bought from online auction sites can prove so hazardous, they have the potential to kill.

Our consumer team bought a random selection of chargers - some for as little as 49 pence. We took them along to Nemko's safety testing labarotory in London, where they all failed on a purely visual inspection but it was during more thorough testing procdeures that a frightening catalogue of flaws was revealed.

We have asked Nemko's Melvyn Harries, who tested our chargers, to give viewers some tips for spotting a fake - and avoiding potential danger. Here's his advice:

Top tips for avoiding unsafe chargers and adaptors

1 Buy from a reputable retailer. 2

If the product itself is not marked with a brand name/logo and model name/number, be suspicious.

3 There should be a 9.5mm gap between the live/neutral pins and the edge of the plug body. [i-plug1] [i-plug2] As a quick check, place your little finger against the plug pin and you should still be able to see the edge of the plug. [i-plug3] [i-plug4] 4 On the socket part of an adaptor the live and neutral contacts should be covered by shutters. If there are no shutters and you can see the live/neutral contacts, the product is unsafe (see picture).

N Cook

etc

As i said in the other reply I know someone who was up at 3am when his street was affected by such a surge, blew the room lamp and hall lamp after glowing like floodklights and breaking TV, stereo etc but nothing caught fire.

I don't know what you call it because it is oxymoronic, but a slow surge. The first he knew about it was the living room bulb got noticeably brighter and then over 10 seconds or so grew brighter and brighter until it blew, followed by the hall one and then he noticed all the other stuff was no longer working, as he was only reading at the time.

A slow voltage increase would allow things to overheat before any fuses blew.

N Cook

"N Cook" wrote in news:fqo8ha$6pp$ snipped-for-privacy@inews.gazeta.pl:

Perhaps all the digiboxes were fed from the same cable leg and someone dropped a HT line onto the cable shield. Or dropped the cable shield onto an HT feed?

--
bz    	73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

bz+ser@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Reply to
bz

Are these digital boxes for cable TV or Satellite TV?

Reply to
Anonymous

Very much so.

It would also almost certainly fail to meet EN60065 and would therefore be illegal.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Are you SURE about that 1mm ? Was it REALLY between primary and secondary parts ? That's a straight EN60065 failure and hence illegal to be sold in any part of the EU.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Good. That's what EN60065 requires.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

They were for cable I think.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

If that is the case, and they really did fail in the way described in the article, then the cable operator would need to be dragged into it as well, as STBs for cable are necessarily supplied by the cable operator. Likewise for satellite TV, assuming Sky, although you can of course buy those yourself. Most people don't, however, because of the price deals offered by Sky, which include the box and installation. Plus these boxes are only made by a few highly reputable main players in the market such as Pace and Panasonic and Grundig etc. That was why I figured that these might well be Freeview boxes for TDTV, as digital is being forced on an unsuspecting public by the government, and punters are being driven like sheep by TV ads, to get converted for digital. And how do they do that ? With a Mickey Mouse twenty quid Chinese box about the size of a paperback book, bought from the local supermarket ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Isn't it possible then that the failures were caused by either the cable operator or someone else on the same segment injecting/crossing line voltage on the cable line?

Reply to
Anonymous