OT: Superconducting Supercollider

Think we could ask The Donald for a few bucks to finish this one off?

Materials science has come a long way, with a bit of keen business sense they could probably bring it in under budget, though ah, slightly behind schedule.

Can't be the greatest unless you got the greatest stuff

Reply to
bitrex

Fat chance. He wouldn't see the point.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Maybe pitch it as time travel research? Or some type of stargate to Planet White?

Reply to
bitrex

There are better things to spend ten billion dollars on. CERN is smashing enough particles for the whole world, and haven't found anything useful so far.

Maybe he'll kill the ISS too. Wasting tens of billions of dollars doesn't make a country great.

lunatic fringe electronics

Has anyone told Peter Thiel?

Reply to
bitrex

John Larkin's scientific judgement isn't great. He thinks that anthropogeni c global warming isn't happening (or if it is, we aren't causing it). His i dea that the money spent on the International Space Station has been wasted seems to be equally well-founded.

Trump seems to equally ill-informed - somebody who regularly contradicts hi mself presumably can't even remember what he was told for more than a day a t a time - so there's no guessing what he might do if the electoral college were silly enough to give him actual power.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

se

nd

Peter Thiel is a libertarian. They don't think that government ought have t ens of billions of dollars to spend on anything - if you couldn't find a cr ew of private investors to take over the international space station, you o ught to close it down, since it obviously isn't a profitable investment.

Ditto for the Superconducting Supercollider.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Curious that he's such a supporter of The Donald, then, who as per Republican usual promises to cut taxes while exploding government spending on "Make America Great Again" projects.

The Great Wall of Mexico is precisely the sort of government-backed project that you just know is going to be a corruption-filled bullshit screwup boondoggle of epic proportions.

If government can't manage to finish off a little particle accelerator project on time and under-budget God help 'em building that wall.

Reply to
bitrex

I hear climate scientists all receive multi-million dollar checks direct from Solyndra to fudge the numbers. Lousy scientists in their Ferraris and South Beach mansions, living the good life off their lies and deception!

Reply to
bitrex

Who said The Donald was a conservative?

You don't know anything about Trump.

You don't know Trump.

Reply to
krw

nse

ind

genic global warming isn't happening (or if it is, we aren't causing it). H is idea that the money spent on the International Space Station has been wa sted seems to be equally well-founded.

on!

James Arthur doesn't seem to know any of them, though he does know an ex-cl imate scientist whose models didn't work - unlike those of people like Juli a Slingo

who seems to have told James Arthur that he thought that people whose model s did work had to be cheating. James Arthur naturally believed him.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

f?

sense

ehind

ave tens of billions of dollars to spend on anything - if you couldn't find a crew of private investors to take over the international space station, you ought to close it down, since it obviously isn't a profitable investmen t.

I think the implication was that Trump was a liar, rather than a conservati ve. Conservatives don't lie - they really believe the stories they tell us.

But most of us have heard of Trump University - where Trump has bought off prosecution by paying some $25 million to some of the students defrauded.

The Great Wall of Mexico seems to have been designed to be equally impressi ve.

Nobody does. His biographer described him a serial liar, which makes it dif ficult to nail down the man behind rhetoric.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I didn't see a smiley at the end of that post. There should have been one the size of a circus elephant!

--

Rick C
Reply to

?

Irony often needs to be marked in text, but that was so obviously ironical that the smiley would have been redundant.

Scientists have to be good at decoding less-than obvious messages, and owni ng a Ferrari is a fairly obvious compensation for not being particularly at tractive to the opposite sex (or at least the sex you prefer), so it's not something that even a very rich scientist is likely to do.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Interesting observation as to why Trump was *grateful* that people displayed "rude behaviour" when Pence was in the theatre.

Tom Gardner

Right, that's true. Nominating guys like Sessions, Flynn, and Pompeo to attorney general, national security adviser, and director of CIA certainly puts him much further to the right than anything we've seen before; makes GWB look like a moderate. There should probably be another name for it - "authoritarian nationalist party" could work.

While Trump views himself as an erudite, shrewd, and wordly businessman, my intuition is that he's actually significantly more gullible and naive than the average person. I don't believe he's "evil" in any traditional sense of that word, more like "incidentally evil" in that he likely legitimately wants the best for people, but his own ego and lack of insight will always undercut that.

Unfortunately, chumps like Trump make easy targets for manipulation by folks who would fit any definition of "evil" you could draw up pretty well, and there's certainly no one happier about this turn of events than Mr. Putin. Say what you want about crooked Hillary's "constitutional unsuitability" or whatever euphemism was used to mean "a woman is too emotionally weak to negotiate issues of foreign policy", she would certainly be my choice over DT to sit down at the table with Vlad, any day of the week.

Reply to
bitrex

I understand that you think desegregating the Alabama schools and convicting Klansmen for lynchings (and got them sentenced to death) is a pretty damned racist thing to do. You totalitarians don't like people who actually support the law when it doesn't suit you.

Your "intuition" has been shown to be less than useless. Give it up and grow up. You lost. Stop crying.

Reply to
krw