OT: Stupid "scientific" research

There was a TeeVee Nooz item the other day, where the story was, "Can duct tape cure warts?"

Well, somebody did an experiment where they took a bunch of volunteers and half of them got duct tape on their wart and the other half got "a placebo patch". No difference was observed between the two groups.

Well, duh! What's a "placebo patch"? The point of the duct tape is that it keeps air off the wart - wouldn't a "placebo patch" do the same thing?

Why didn't they have a control group that didn't get any patches at all?

And maybe a group that rubbed a potato on their wart and buried it in the back yard?

Science has really gone down the toilet lately.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

What experiment did you perform to show that it really is keeping the air off the wart which does the trick as opposed to, say, something in the glue?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

For future research, I propose a new set of experiments:

Optimal Duct Tape Removal Velocity for Treatment of Warts.

I'm guessing a velocity just below Mach 1 should do it...

;-)

Reply to
mrdarrett

The first time I heard of the technique, it was with white "adhesive tape", the kind that you get at the pharmacy alongside the gauze and stuff.

There could have been some magical ingredient there too, but how do we know that that same magical ingredient wasn't in the glue on the "placebo" patch?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The placebo group got one of those 'corn' pads, with a hole in the middle, so there was tape around it, but it got air...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Or just a reminder that it exists. I've heard that painting a wart with a bright dye can make it go away. too.

A Mississippi folk remedy is to poke it a bunch of times with a needle. It seems to wake up the body's immune system to the fact that the thing should be dealt with.

Liquid nitrogen, applied with a q-tip, works well, and has less collateral damage than burning.

John

That's what my dermatologist guy does with my pre-cancerous spots on the back of my hands.

...Jim Thompson

Now if i did that, i would not know what to do about all of those warts growing in the back yard...

Reply to
Robert Baer

That's simple - Let them grow up into shrooms and eat them! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Newsgroup Wacko

Science is better than ever. It's TV and its viewers that have gone downhill.

-- Joe Legris

Reply to
J.A. Legris

They sound like 'roids to me. Wack a cable tie around them and snug it up tight.

Reply to
Borat

They make ones big enough to go around your neck, too.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, i don't think you are getting the idea yet. This "research" by some graduate student, actually got funded by willfully know-nothing bureaucrats. Is this how you want your taxes spent?

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

The original article appeared in the Archives of Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine. (2006;160:1121-1125) which is a peer-reviewed journal of the American Medical Association. Do you have any suggestions for a better system to conduct and assess the value of scientific research? How about a committee of untrained regular folk who judge research on the basis of whether or not it seems reasonable? Or maybe a church-based system? They seem to have a good sense of what's right and what's wrong. George Bush has dabbled lately in "interpreting" science - if he can do it, anybody can.

Here's a link to the abstract:

And here's a link to another article in the same journal criticising the first.

Wouldn't it be nice if government and industryl could rise to a comparable standard of openess, objectivity and self-regulation?

-- Joe Legris

Reply to
J.A. Legris
[snip]

A few thousand on researching the efficacy of inexpensive cures for common ailments? Yes, that's definitely how I want some of my taxes spent.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

As compared to ?????

INTRODUCTION

During election years, politicians make speeches about how concerned they are with wasteful spending, the deficit, and the fiscal woes of the nation. But as soon as the television cameras are turned off, they brag about the pork that they are bringing home to their state or district. This hypocrisy has helped to create a $521 billion deficit and a $7.1 trillion national debt.

While $200,000 for recreation improvements in North Pole, Alaska or $100,000 to renovate a Coca-Cola building in Macon, Georgia may seem insignificant in the grand fiscal scheme of the country, such projects represent a corruption of the budget process. Too many members of Congress are more concerned about bringing home the bacon for their re-election than they are about the fiscal future of this country. To make the American people more aware of the connection between pork and the deficit, each earmark should bear a sticker on it that reads, "This project helped contribute to the $521 billion deficit." Maybe then Members of Congress wouldn't be so proud of their pork and taxpayers would demand greater accountability on Capitol Hill.

This year's total reveals that Congress porked out at record levels. For fiscal 2004, appropriators stuck 10,656 projects in the 13 appropriations bills, an increase of 13 percent over last year's total of 9,362. In the last two years, the total number of projects has increased 28 percent. The cost of these projects in fiscal 2004 was $22.9 billion, or 1.6 percent more than last year's total of $22.5 billion. In fact, the total cost of pork has increased by 14 percent since fiscal 2002. Total pork identified by Citizens Against Government Waste (CAGW) since 1991 adds up to $185 billion.

The top three increases in pork from fiscal 2003 to fiscal 2004 were: Foreign Operations from $181.4 million to $449 million (148 percent); Transportation/Treasury from $3.3 billion to $4.4 billion (33 percent); and Interior from $344 million $446 million (29 percent).

Alaska again led the nation with $808 per capita ($524 million), or 26 times the national pork average of $31. The runners up were Hawaii with $393 per capita ($494 million) and the District of Columbia with $321 per capita ($181 million). The common thread in the top two states is that they are represented by powerful senators and appropriators - Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), and the number two Democrat on that committee, Sen. Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii).

Unless Congress enacts serious and meaningful budget reform, there could be another record level of pork in fiscal 2005. Tax dollars should be focused on protecting the nation, instead of being used to protect the incumbency of members of Congress.

The 630 projects, totaling $3.1 billion, in this year's Congressional Pig Book Summary symbolize the most egregious and blatant examples of pork. As in previous years, all of the items in the Congressional Pig Book Summary meet at least one of CAGW's seven criteria, but most satisfy at least two:

· Requested by only one chamber of Congress; · Not specifically authorized; · Not competitively awarded; · Not requested by the President; · Greatly exceeds the President's budget request or the previous year's funding; · Not the subject of congressional hearings; or · Serves only a local or special interest.
Reply to
Homer J Simpson