OT (sort of) Amazing cold weather response. Amazing what we do pushing electrons around.

This was a pretty cool owner video he made at -34 C up in Canada.

Or as they say in Italy (or New York) "Heat 'em up, Tony".

Human endeavor is a cool thing. Or in this case, a warmed up and ready to go thing.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote in news:sl29ar$1siu$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

Y'all into electronics performance or what?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

In the winter you can't leave the car long unplugged. The battery has to stay above freezing and will use its own power to do so. Once that is gone the battery suffers damage. Not good. This is another reason why level 2 charging facilities need to be very widely available... except in Puerto Rico. Here we just need better power in general. lol

Reply to
Rick C

On Monday, 25 October 2021 at 17:15:16 UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

... Be aware of your interpretation of 'freezing".

The battery itself won't freeze until -30°C or so, it does not have an aqueous electrolyte. Tesla states that the car shouldn't be exposed to lower than -30°C for more than 24 hours at a time.

As far as I can tell the Tesla doesn't heat the battery by itself when the car is parked unless it is plugged in.

Below about 0°C the battery will be very slow at accepting charge; charging at too high a rate at low temperatures can cause lithium to be plated onto the electrodes. That lithium is forever lost and so contributes to a loss of capacity. The car will heat the battery up to an acceptable temperature before charging begins as soon as charging is attempted.

If the battery is at a low temperature its maximum power output drops significantly, probably something like 50% power at 0°C and lower still as the temperature drops below that. The optimum is at 30-40°C. Regeneration is also lost at low temperatures because the battery can't accept any charge.

As soon as the car is driven or the cabin heater is activated battery heating will start, either using the battery heater (Model S,X) or the waste heat from the motor (model 3,Y).

kw

Reply to
ke...

The battery might be able to sit unused and not charging below freezing (water freezing, 0°C/32°F) but I believe it is damaged if charged and maybe driven when cold. I spent a fair amount of time in the Tesla forums when I bought my car and misinformation does not survive there very long, too many people who have read all the sources. I was once actually stuck for a few hours because I could not charge the car after it had gotten cold while I was shopping. The temp was not much below freezing at the time, but the car had not been driven far and the battery never really warmed up. On the charger it simply ran the heater to bring the battery temperature up while putting no charge at all into the battery.

I'm pretty sure it does. It might be at a temp lower than freezing, but it would be stupid to allow the battery to be damaged by the cold when it has Wh going to waste. In fact I've seen my car drop some 5 or 10 kWh overnight in the cold when it was not plugged in. I've always chalked that up to the battery being cold, but I realize that was most likely the battery keeping itself from damage.

Rate of charge starts dropping below something like 80°F where it peaks. By freezing it is nil. The battery management system controls this with exquisite detail in a Tesla which is something that separates it from many other EVs such as the Nissan Leaf which does very little to manage battery temperature and/or charging rate.

That is also true.

I might not be remembering this well. It has been a couple of years since I spent much time in the Tesla forums. But I'm pretty sure the battery can suffer damage if charged while the battery is below freezing temps.

Reply to
Rick C

On Monday, 25 October 2021 at 20:48:11 UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

That's what I said.

You can plug in the Tesla to charge (and pretty much any other EV) when the battery is at low temperatures but charging won't occur at any significant rate until the battery is warmed to an acceptable temperature.

I have heard of cases where charging was attempted with 120V and there was not enough power to warm up the battery so charging never started even after many hours.

kw

Reply to
ke...