OT: Science of dropping things

What's amazing to me is how perfect the 0603 and 0402 parts look under a microscope, for something that is almost free to buy.

Radiused edges and radiused metalization, smooth ceramic.

My tweezer ends look crude by comparison.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

It was a David Brenner joke on the Johnny Carson Show one night around

1977.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

It's not only a sensing problem. Our brains fill in missing data to meet our expectations. When I was a kid, I saw an arrow fly past a tree when it had actually glanced off at a 30 degree angle. Took me ages to find that arrow.

We also have an amazing ability to ignore data that doesn't fit our bias. Maybe it's due to the world's low SNR and our limited processing resources. Would AI be better if it incorporated wishful thinking? Would we just get a computer that reaches the wrong conclusions and won't accept conflicting data?

I'd be happy to study it, as long as someone else raises the funds :) Are you listening Larry? Sergey?

ChesterW

Reply to
ChesterW

The 3W led mini-Maglite is especially suited for that - narrow beam, very bright. 0505 chip caps pop right out.

I had a seamless epoxy floor in one lab (somebody broke a mercury barometer in there so it was part of the remediation process). I asked for an eye-ease green, light gray or something similar. The "architectectural advisor" chose hospital white with sparkly multicolored confetti sprinkled on under a no-slip textured clear coat. You couldn't find anything smaller than 1/4" without a broom.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

Yes, and if you did find it, how do you know that it isn't another part that disappeared to another dimension last week and just reappeared? It's usually easier to grab a new part than measure the old one.

Reply to
krw

Doesn't work well on carpeted floors. Carpeting makes things bounce a lot farther, too.

Reply to
krw

I have a Mantis at work, too, but I also have one of these. They're a great addition and much better than "OptiVisors".

krw

Idea: Get a security camera and attach it under your workbench pointed downward. When you drop something, merely rewind the recorded video to when you dropped it, and you might be able to see where it landed. Lighting, depth of field, frame rate, and focus will need to be determined. It probably won't see chip size parts, but might work with larger objects like hardware, leaded components, BNC center pins, etc.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Carpeted areas are for administrative and sales staff and presidents and stuff.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

Ummm, maybe a good addition to one of those robo-suckers...set it off & check in an hour! :-)

Reply to
Bill Martin

I think this is USA-wide, but around here in Arizona, we have highway maintenance trucks which not only sweep but have gigantic magnet systems underneath. ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

When I worked in a cube farm, I brought my own (fake) Persian rug and then fashionable bean bag chair. Maintenance complained, so I brought in a vacuum cleaner. Fairly soon, all the engineers installed a carpet in their offices (and were chronically borrowing my vacuum cleaner).

After about 2 years, someone decided to carpet the engineering area (the labs remained vinyl flooring). The color and pattern were apparently selected to hide food stains and dropped components. If you dropped something, it was gone. The pile was the perfect size needed to trap small objects, dirt, dust, filth, etc. It was also NOT anti-static and would cause anyone walking into the office to throw a small lightning bolt to the doorknob, desk, file cabinet, equipment rack, etc. Equipment damage increased dramatically. I left after about 6 months of grumbling and sudden prototype failures, so I don't know what happened to the carpet. My guess(tm) is that it got ripped up and replaced with something even more disgusting and destructive.

I don't recall how mahogany row was carpeted, but I'm sure it was suitably opulent.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

"a part"

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Do you generally use the lamp?

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

...and engineering staff, even if they have to lay it over a $1M ESD floor.

Reply to
krw

Not usually. I have better lamps on my bench.

Reply to
krw

You can get copy stands for that--$25 to $300 at Amazon.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Trouble is they *are't* vacuum cleaners, they are brooms. Small objects tend to be scattered about as much as swept into the bin.

--

Rick
Reply to

Such things exist but it's only a pretty bad 2D view (limitations on depth of view, illumination, and all). Mantii and head gear (and even illuminated magnifying glasses) allow depth perception and resolution to the limit of the eye - give or take.

Reply to
krw

Why doesn't some get an enlarger, put a camera at where the film goes and use a monitor? Result: about 10 inches of work space, HUGE part images (after appropriate adjustment).

Reply to
Robert Baer