OT: s l o w login

That reference seems to relate to Win95; step 1 "click on My Computer" is not useful; this problem is only in Win2K - my win98SE is fine. However, right click on modem icon (via control panel / network) for Properties, there is a tab "Networking" (Server Types is not available anywhere). Fiddling around more, i see server type is PPP (good); elsewhere there are 3 tick boxes one being "Enable Software Compression"; unchecking the other 2 makes *zero* difference (not good). TCP/IP settings are totally un-available (hyperspace?).

** The article may be useable and helpful for Win98/Win98SE but is of no help for Win2K. I have already been thru everything about 4 times so far; i do not mind doing it again 3 or so more times if there is a possibility of solving the problem.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Not a problem; i will try almost anything. Besides, it is possible that i missed something.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Okay. Not knowing your exact setup, I'm guessing on a few things. With that in mind, try these (worth a shot):

(not so sure about this one)

(or this one)

Erm... Just thought of something. Check to see if TCP/IP is the ONLY network protocol enabled in DUN. Years ago I first got on the Net I wondered why logon took so long. After doing some checking, I learned that for dial-up to the Internet access ONLY, TCP/IP should be the only protocol enabled in the DUN connection settings. Won't hurt to check.

Hope all this helps.

RoyalHeart

--

A thoughtful pause, then resumes the prince, "We must Learn from
Yesterday, Live for Today, and look Forward to Tomorrow, for The Past be