OT: s l o w login

In Win3.1, Win95 and Win98SE, there is a rather short time delay from ISP dial-in to access of the web (the dialing window goes away, and the small 2-terminal icon appears lower right). BUT, in Windows 2000, the dialing window is present for a long time "waiting" or "negotiating". How can this be fixed? ((the Win2K NG has not been useful on this subject))

Reply to
Robert Baer

Get a DSL connection

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

Nah, that'll spoil the pleasure of seeing the dialing window.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Yep. I had the same problem a while back.

In Dial-up Networking, RIGHT click the connection, select "Properties."

On the "Server Types" tab, under "Advanced Options," make sure "Log onto network" is NOT checked, as Steve mentioned.

HTH

RoyalHeart

--

A thoughtful pause, then resumes the prince, "We must Learn from
Yesterday, Live for Today, and look Forward to Tomorrow, for The Past be

Disable "log on to network" somewhere on some properties page of the dial-up connection.

--
Steve Sousa
Reply to

*Not* relevant. The timing i mentioned for all of the OSes are for the *same* modem. The point is, that Windows 2000 takes a lot longer, and i am asking for a solution. Do you have anything constructive to say?
Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks for the suggestion; will give that a try.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks for the detailed process; will try it.

Reply to
Robert Baer

You must be using XP, because ther is no such tab with Win2K... In fact, there is no erlated "Advanced Options". So, is this available elsewhere under Win2K?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Nope. Windows 98 LE (LITE Edition). I've never used XP or 2000, so I can't help there. Sorry. I tried.

RoyalHeart

--

A thoughtful pause, then resumes the prince, "We must Learn from
Yesterday, Live for Today, and look Forward to Tomorrow, for The Past be
The Present, and No Less The Future."
Reply to
RoyalHeart

This is Windows 2000, not WinXP; there is no "Server Types" tab and i could not find a reference to "Log onto network" anyplace. So...???

Reply to
Robert Baer

I'm using Windows 98 LE (LITE Edition). I've never used XP or 2000, so I can't help there. Sorry. I tried.

Have you looked in Windows Help? (There have been a few times when the answer I needed was actually in Windows Help.) RoyalHeart

Reply to
RoyalHeart

Knowing Micro$oft, i would have to know the strange, contra-intuitive terminology they used.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Not only the contra-intuitive terminology, but the contra-intuitive location as well. It appears to me that the setting you need to change is buried somewhere you would not think to look, like modem properties or something. (Why "Log onto network," or whatever M$ calls it in Win2000, would be in modem properties only someone in an insane asylum would understand.)

In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes open for any info regarding your problem. I come across myriad bits and pieces of info in my wanderings around on the Net.

RoyalHeart

--

A thoughtful pause, then resumes the prince, "We must Learn from
Yesterday, Live for Today, and look Forward to Tomorrow, for The Past be
The Present, and No Less The Future."
Reply to
RoyalHeart

I tried "My Computer properties, all tabs. I tried everything related to communications and the internet in the control panel. Zilch so far.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Not in the case of all the USB DSL modems I've come across !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Try this:

RoyalHeart

--

A thoughtful pause, then resumes the prince, "We must Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today, and look Forward to Tomorrow, for The Past be The Present, and No Less The Future."

Reply to
RoyalHeart

Could it be that 2k is waiting for an address from DHCP and the other OSs have fixed IPs and DNSs?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.

Interesting. I will see if this or any variation will get me closer. I appreaciate the inputs!

Reply to
Robert Baer

^^^^^

OOPS! My goof. I skimmed over it without really looking to see which Win version it applied to.

Sorry.

RoyalHeart