ot pots

Ground beef is for burgers. In a sauce, it's like dogfood.

Braciole isn't a sauce; the very nature of the dish depends on the meat NOT being "ground".

Just like the noodles used in lasagna are what one expects from a lasagna!

Reply to
Don Y

Well, we had them for breakfast. On consideration, the icing is excellent but it does hide the very interesting interplay of the sweet caramel and the sourdough pastry.

This certainly needs more research.

And pecans.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Fair enough. So where would Italians be without tomatoes and chocolate? They'd be drinking espresso, but not mochas !

Yes, the timing was about the same, just the place of origin.

Maybe Italians like Italian beer? I can't say I know Italian beers at all. (Italian wine is a different matter.)

Note that while we know that untreated water is dangerous, neither the Italians nor anyone else knew that until the eighteen hundreds.

Weak alcoholic drinks were a standard throughout Europe until relatively recently. In particular, beer has been put forward as an essential requirement for the development of Europe as we know it. When making beer, you boil the water - thus making it safe to drink. So drinking beer rather than water saved Europeans from at least a proportion of water-born diseases.

Reply to
David Brown

No one (living) has tried the real garum - details of the recipe have been lost, and it was made primarily from fermented fish guts and heads that would run against all food hygiene rules. So you can only make an approximate now.

Or you could just use ketchup and some imagination - the word "ketchup" apparently comes from "fish brine" (I forget which language).

Reply to
David Brown

why would that any less hygienic than how fish sauce and worcestershire Sauce is made ?

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

what's "The Real Garum"? It was made many different ways even in antiquity. And some recipes do survive:

Reply to
bitrex

Yeah I like worcestershire sauce (I'm in the US after all. :^) I didn't know it was made from pickled anchovies, garlic and onions. (no wonder I like it.) It's great as an underneath flavor... 'this sauce/ soup need a little more something...' If your're adding salt to a beef dish, don't use beef bullion, add a bit of beef base. Sold it the refrigerated section of markets.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

T-Fal is a good brand, AFAIK it's the French Tefal. The French sure know how cooking is done.

We have some T-Fal as well but it ain't my cooking style. I make a nice wood fire, then as needed I use cast iron pots and pans. Our game room has a cooking alcove with its own flu but I prefer outdoors. Rain or shine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

And tamarind.

It's really good with Cheddar cheese and French bread.

Beef base is the American version of vegemite. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

isn't it just reduced stock?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yes, plus a bunch of other stuff, especially salt.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

then it is more like bouillon, stock is usually not seasoned

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

It's the consistency of Vegemite, but much better tasting, although too salty to eat by itself.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Vegemite (Australian) and Marmite (British) are made from yeast. It's Bovril that's made from beef.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Note the smiley.

Round here I'm generally entirely serious about technical stuff, but rarely otherwise. Some misguided members of my family eat both of those yeast abominations, so I'm tried them.

Bread, wine, and beer are excellent uses of yeast, but when you go too far from there, things get bad in a hurry. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Definitely an acquired taste. Vegemite is great on toast under an egg. I never liked Marmite.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

If I put enough ketchup on that to make it palatable, the egg would get completely lost. Bacon for yours truly.

To be fair, round here lots of people put "American cheese" on otherwise delighful bacon & egg sandwiches. I sure wouldn't want that stuff named after my country. Blech.

A nice two-eggs-and-bacon on a kaiser roll with butter, salt, and pepper is an excellent way to start the day. (If I were German I'd probably want kidneys instead of bacon, but I'm not.) ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Mo makes what she calls "crack bacon". Did we make that for you?

Broil bacon until almost done. Remove and drain. Paint with maple syrup. Broil again.

Tillamook is good. Proper orange cheese.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin