OT: 'Photon Farming' in California

She did invent the Guinness Toucan

which probably led to "Murder Must Advertise."

Lord P had a lot of well-bred twits as friends and relatives and murdrers.

lunatic fringe electronics

The problems I mention about living arrangements also exist in many other European countries, and elsewhere.

I don't mention them because I don't have explicit references, and the only knowledge I have is of visiting many and living in a few.

You once challenged me as to how many cities/countries I had visited, and I gave an answer.

I asked you the same question, and you never answered.

I suspect you have only visited a few cities in the USA, but am willing to be corrected.

One anecdote: "A colleague who lives in London did charge his car from his terraced house and covered the cable, which ran across the pavement, with basic safety kit to stop passing pedestrians from tripping up. He okayed everything with his council but ultimately his neighbours weren't happy and he decided to give his electric car up."

We don't have sun, we have wind. But that is non-existent for days at a time when a blocking high pressure is over the UK.

Rule of thumb from measurements of the entire UK wind output. X% of the time the wind output is less than X% of peak output.

Hence for 3 days a year we expect ~1% of the peak output.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

OK, so you are in the UK where you better keep an umbrella with you every day. If you do not get a shower, the sky is often cloudy and not much solar power available.

In Finland block heater sockets are common. These are intended for less than 1 kW load on average. Even on a company parking lot with at least a hundred socket, thus a single nearby distribution transformer can easily handle it.

Building similar parking places with 11 kW (3x16A) charging sockets would not be much more expensive. Surely it would make sense to have a bigger distribution transformer directly on the parking site Digging down a medium voltage feeder to the distribution transformer would not be much more expensive than a thick low voltage feed cables.

If there are good public transport, do really have to own a car ?

That would justify charging at the company car park, since the installation cost per socket would be cheaper.

Reply to
upsidedown

Pumped hydro, electrolysis+fuel cell, battery charging and discharging is really a bad idea from the total system efficiency point of view and can be less than 50 %.

Storing water in a dam above a hydro plant during the day and run it through the turbines only once at night will have a good system efficiency (90-95 %).

Charging a EV battery in real time when cheap power is naturally available makes sense, since the battery would anyhow need to be charged and it is discharged only on the road when the car is off-line from the grid.

Reply to
upsidedown

If you insist on pumping hydro, for less environmental impact use some old abandoned mines. If there are large empty spaces say 1000 m below ground level, the required amount of water that needs to be stored in the top or bottom reservoir is small with such high difference.

Even better if you can use an existing lake as the top water reservoir. In the best case, use the ocean as the top reservoir.

Reply to
upsidedown

I haven't been to Finland, but I suspect the population density is lower and the street architecture is newer than in much of the UK.

Yes. But you include the key word: "if" :(

For the last 30/40 years our libertarian politics has taken it as axiomatic that "the market is correct" and "the market will provide". Consequently public transport has been outrageously milked for profits, without corresponding investment.

But if there aren't parking spaces at work and it can't be charged at home, where can you guarantee charging your car?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Unless you are a renewable purist, why not run some NG fired gas turbines on those days that the wind production is low.

For long time fuel storage a liquid fuel would be better, but also these have issues with long time (month, years) storage. For biodiesel, there can be issues with bacteria and algae growth, clogging fuel filters.

Reply to
upsidedown

The hydrogen economy freaks want you to use liquid hydrogen, which doesn't have that kind of problem.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I am very much a pragmatist in these respects. I don't care how we get our energy, provided the arithmetic (technical, financial, AGW) adds up.

The renewable zealots /really/ don't like considering that if you install X GW of wind power, then you can retire 0 GW of conventional plant. The renewable zealots also absolutely refuse to discuss whether the cost of such "idle" conventional plant should be added to the cost of the wind plant.

That's deceitful and objectionable.

We don't have enough gas storage in the UK - the market sees no need for it. Yes, that's a "Ford Pinto" attitude, and demonstrates that "the market" needs to be controlled. But that's a heresy.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Cursitor Doom

How much cooling power is required to keep the hydrogen in liquid form, especially if the extra boost by hydrogen is needed once a week or once a month, when wind production is very small ?

Reply to
upsidedown

Some time back when Scientific Ameerican was an interesting magazine to rea d, they had an article on carbon sequestration. A number of proposals were about removing carbon from the air. Seems a bit silly to me to release ca rbon in massive amounts and then try to collect it rather than sequestering it at the source. Or just not generating it in the first place.

--

  Rick C.

  --- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

On Sunday, August 4, 2019 at 3:37:34 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote :

on

ut 24 GW. Of the other 6%, thermal and battery are about 700 MW each.

Don't know where you got your number. I read 80% is a typical number, abou t the same as regenerative braking on my car.

*If* you have enough water flow. In that case it is likely there is alread y a generating station there. Pumped hydro only requires enough flow to re plenish the evaporative losses.

Currently there is enough solar generation in California so the power curve has a minimum at mid day. It is going to take a lot of car charging to of fset that. Utilities often have programs to encourage efficient use of ele ctricity. I wonder if they would be interested in promoting EV charging at work?

--

  Rick C.

  -+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

You can't. So the UK is stuffed when it comes to EVs.

--

  Rick C.

  -++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

load to

The idle plants don't cost extra if they aren't used all the time. If you want preventing carbon pollution to be free, then keep moving, let someone else up front. Given enough time renewables will be the lowest cost soluti on, even with the backup generation. For fossil fuel plants the capital co st doesn't dominate, it's fuel costs. Remove the fuel costs and the remain ing capacity isn't so expensive.

Yup, the UK is stuffed. Better get used to it.

--

  Rick C.

  +-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Why are you and Sloman constantly bashing the UK? Some online equivalent of penis envy?

Cursitor Doom

Again, you are unwittingly myopic - and inaccurate.

Note the key phrase "not economic", and please explain this news from last week....

The German utility giant RWE will close its last UK coal plant after the coming winter, leaving only four remaining coal plants powering British homes.

RWE will close the Aberthaw B power station in south Wales at the end of March 2020 after half a century generating electricity from coal.

?The reasons given for the closure are economic ? the plant has rarely run over the last few months,? said Kelvin Mawer, a regional officer at Unite. ?However, the decision to close has come a lot earlier than expected.?

Agreed, the UK energy industry is screwed up beyond belief.

Political/economic ideology is the core reason.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Not just the UK; many other countries are in a similar position.

Will you now stop claiming variations of "EVs are easy"? I doubt it.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

How would you know? You have finally admitted you don't live in the UK.

Slowman's comments tend to be based on knowledge.

Rick C's comments tend to be based on ignorance stemming from myopia.

I'll refrain from mentioning what your comments are based on.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yes they do. Otherwise they won't work when you need them.

You have to still employ the people who know how to operate and maintain them to keep them in a state ready to use. All of this costs real money.

Eventually using fossil fuel will be more expensive than renewables but that point is still some way off. Natural gas is still very cheap.

We probably are. Not only has the generation kit been allowed to get old and decrepit but older plant is still being retired on schedule but the proposed new build is running well behind schedule or not at all.

Plus a moron elected as Prime Minister by a bunch of senile delinquents in the Tory Party dedicated to jumping off a Brexit cliff for Halloween.

What could possibly go wrong?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown