OT: PDF to DOC

I used the baby bird (GooGull) for converters / software. NONE WORK. Class #1: download zip/exe and crashes as DLL is missing. Class #2: download zip/exe and crashes as NOT a 32-bit app. Class #3: download, during setup it complains about IE must be 6 or better - WTF about pissy IE? In any case IE6 download does not work. Class #4A: submit file for conversion, result is pure garbage in Nerd. Class #4B: submit file for conversion, takes forever (gave up after

15 MINUTES!).

Dammit all to hell, i need to edit a PDF!! My Acrobat 4 reader/writer complains on trying to edit a line of text "Touchup could not parse this page".

_WORKABLE_ ideas anyone?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I can hack and slash PDF from pdflatex. "Pure garbage in Nerdese" is about right. I haven't checked if there are packages to do more subtle editing (like separating layers or graphical objects), I doubt those would be any more fun to use though.

Why do you need it in DOC? DOC sucks for all the standard Microsoft reasons.

Tim

Tim Williams

You could try a more recent version of Adobe Acrobat, e.g. XI, free 30 day trial

Gib Bogle

Send it to me with a description of the changes you want made. It _may_not_be_editable_ if it's been created by some hacker version of Acrobat; or it may be locked with a password... many datasheets are.

A possible solution that I use on locked datasheets is to print to PostScript, then run back thru Adobe Distiller. ...Jim Thompson

Used GooGull and found MiKTeX and TeX Live. Both have vague references and look like one cannot just download an EXE for use (Ghostscript is easy like that). Hints about "compiling" turn me off. KISS, please.

  • If convert to M$ Nerd DOC, then i can edit text as i see fit.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Good idea! Have a HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS printer river installed pointing to FILE:. All i have to do is re-install my 4.0 reader/writer to enable the Distiller (i think). Will try that; fairly simple. Thanks!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Is that Adobe ACROBAT? If not, it won't create PDF from PostScript. ...Jim Thompson

Robert Baer wrote in news:uZYUs.41485$Hq1.30752 @newsfe23.iad:

Nerd.

text

Buy the edit version of foxit pdf reader.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Do you have any OCR apps that can take PDF as input?

Excuse me for butting in, but I'm interrupt-driven.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

One proven way that works (works for *me* anyway...). Download and install Open Office. Then download and install the Oracle PDF Import Extension. It allows you to import and modify pdf files. You can then save file as .doc (or whatever format you like). This is a long way to go for what looks like a simple problem, but you will only have to do it once, and it's free. I've been using Open Office since Sun made it a free program and I've found it at least as good as Microsoft products. The fact that it can output a file in .pdf format with a single click is a feature I REALLY like.

lektric.dan

Correct on both counts..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

inkscape?

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

Best (free) I have found for this. And a nice graphic design program generally. Only does single pages though AFAIK. However if the OP has Acrobat too he should be able to split a multi-page PDF, edit in Inkscape then combine again.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

What i have done: Used Acrobat 4.0 to load and look at the file, then printed using a postscript printer driver,to a file. That file looks perfectly OK. CorelDraw sees the original PDF and that PS file perfectly OK so the file cannot be corrupt. Will use CorelDraw for patching the numbers. Dunno why i had not thought of using CorelDraw before. Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

or

ter

you can do annotations in the free version, if you only need to change few things just draw a white box on top of the original text and use the typewriter

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

How do you do this? My Openoffice opens PDFs as Drawings and lets me save it only in several deawing formats and not as .doc.

Günter

Reply to
Günter Haarmann

Adobe Reader 10 allows me to save a PDF as a TXT file. I use it to extract parts lists from service manuals. It's a lot easier than scrolling through a 400+ page PDF file.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

erd.

ext

Does the pdf need to be run through the online 'unlock'? I've started storing both copies, original and unlocked. Found that unlocked casued less problems all the way around and the original could be opened by FoxitReader for checking/comparing.

Reply to
Robert Macy