OT: Open for Business Until Everyone is Sick

't even need to get the R0 number down to zero. We just have to get it eno ugh below 1.0 that the new infections drops more rapidly than it's doing no w.

Wow! So much wrong there. We don't isolate for colds or the flu until som eone is sick and often not even then. We isolate when we are too sick to d o our jobs or just too sick to leave the house. Otherwise we happily sprea d the viruses all over. The R0 of this disease is MUCH higher than the typ ical flu.

As to dealing with reservoirs, we only need to deal with real exigencies, n ot imagined. If someone gets the bubonic plague we deal with it by routine medical tracing. We can do the same with this disease once it is brought under control.

Yes, keeping the interjected infections low by careful screening and quaran tine of international travelers and contact tracing. In other words, we ca n't just pay lip service to the idea of preventing a reinfection like we di d the first time.

They have removed the lock down and reduced their travel restrictions, hard to lie about that. There are other countries that are doing well keeping a lid on this disease. Do you believe they are all lying?

d throughout Europe.

So what are you doing wrong? How is the disease being spread? Do you no l onger believe in science?

My understanding is that's not working out so well for Sweden. Their new i nfection and death rates have leveled off, but that's all. Like in the US they are not going down. So what's so great about that?

You are mistaken that I will need to wait it out forever. They will have a vaccine at some point. We will see how long that takes and if the virus m utates enough to require a new vaccine.

Then there are also treatments and... herd immunity. Once it has infected enough people that the R0 drops below 1.0, it will die off from not being t ransmitted effectively.

Immunity is not a given, which you would know if you were paying attention. If enough get infected on the first go around and the immunity lasts long enough, the second wave may not occur. So it's good for me if you get inf ected.

Your facts may be right, your conclusions are suspect. The growth rate is now linear rather than exponential. Instead of doubling every period, it n ow adds so many infected every period. A very different situation which gi ves us time to deal with it. If however, we do what you suggest the number s will take off. Same in Poland. Actually, your numbers seem pretty low. It's just that you aren't doing as much as needed to get R0 significantly below 1.0. So shit or get off the pot. Get your R0 down, or open things u p and let it rip. Either one is good for me. Keeping the infection going is like maintaining a sour dough starter, but not so tasty.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricky C

It is sad that people believe such obvious misinformation in an engineering newsgroup.

If the virus is passed around "silently" we don't care do we? Contact trac ing and quarantine of anyone exposed is practical and required once the num bers drop. But the same sort of thinking that got Trump elected means once people feel better they stop taking their antibiotics even though they are n't cured.

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricky C

0%, 900 workers tested positive for this disease. The plant closures are a dding up and meat is going to be in short supply soon. So it seems we are damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Some people think you are going to need guns to protect that freezer. If I were in your shoes I'd have a backup generator.

BTW, why is he slaughtering cows? We are pretty sure they aren't responsib le for the virus.

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricky C

0%, 900 workers tested positive for this disease. The plant closures are a dding up and meat is going to be in short supply soon. So it seems we are damned if we do, damned if we don't.

tact that will spread the virus like wildfire will still result in many bus inesses closing because the people working there will get sick. Trying to shut down and not spread the virus isn't working, which we have to assume i s because people aren't following the orders.

s to test and isolate everyone who potentially was exposed and/or isolated everyone with stay at home orders. So why can't the US and the UK and othe r countries do the same thing?

tions-continue-915759

Interesting that you point to Musk rather than blind stupidity.

  Rick C.

  --- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricky C

Without knowing what "some places" means, I'll suggest that's misinformation.

Lookie here for a little reality:

It's important to read past the introduction here; the second page is where the antibody-positive result has a lower bound computed; it's no less than zero, you'll be glad to hear. To claim much more than zero, like 30%, is ... extraordinary. We await evidence.

Reply to
whit3rd

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I was pretty sure that all the error bars were located in San Fran.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

And what are you going to need to protect THAT? A cannon? Howitzer? :)

If the power goes out, the freezer will only last so long anyway. People need to get their priorities straight.

Generator, Fuel, Steaks, Freezer and then the guns.

No wait: Toilet Paper, Generator, Fuel..... :)

Reply to
mpm

If nobody has ever had this, why all the panic?

You wouldn't believe anything I said.

google antibody tests new york

or antibody tests germany

or something.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Talk is cheap. What can you submit to peer review? Results without reference to input data, and with incredible error estimates, are the only inputs you've offered, and rejection was for cause, not just attribution.

It's not just me; folk who deal in knowledge and understanding ALL apply similar peer review requirements.

Reply to
whit3rd

No, assuming the lockdown works, they're exactly as likely to be infected once the lockdown ends. There's only exposure or not-exposure offered by lockdown. It's just delay.

This is only true after some other thing happens.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

In reality it is a function of how often people get together for face-to-face interactions that last longer than about 15 minutes. Parties, family get-to-gethers, demonstrations and church services are responsible for most Covid-19 infections.

All happen more often when the population density is high, and keep on happening under lock-down amongst people who don't have enough sense to understand why they shouldn't do it.

Trump supporters do seem to be particularly dense.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Post some links to your peer-reviewed publications.

Or some of your electronic designs.

Or some cat pictures.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

That seems to be true in the US, but not in many other places. So, an intelligent person would, instead of just condemning the idea of lock down, ask what are we doing wrong and how can we improve it?

--

  Rick C.

  -+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricky C

't even need to get the R0 number down to zero. We just have to get it eno ugh below 1.0 that the new infections drops more rapidly than it's doing no w.

It does seem to have happened in Australia, where the lock-down is being ob served well enough to produce a rapid fall in the number of new cases repor ted each day.

This should have been the start of our annual flu season - I got my annual flu jab yesterday - but we've had remarkably few cases of flu so far.

Bats aren't a reservoir of a virus that can infect us. Covid-19 is clearly descended from such a virus, but it probably mutated before it could infect wherever intermediate species it went through before it got around to acqu iring the modification that let it infect us.

I recently posted a link to a recent PNAS paper about potential sources of zoonoses - their conclusion was that it didn't matter much which species th e zoonose ancestor happened to infest - there just had to be enough of them for random variation of inherited characteristics to have a finite chance of throwing up something that could infect humans.

Getting rid of bats would get rid of just one of a multitude of potential r eservoirs.

cannot afford the level of healthcare we have, even remotely. Some day a plane from one of them might land and then everything will start all over a gain. In order to win we must try to fix the problem globally, which is not happening nowadays. Every single country pursues its own uniqu e attempts, sometimes they are even stealing the PPE belonging to their nei ghbours to supplement their own stock.

Epidemics are going to be with us for quite a while yet. The trick we need to find is a way of detecting them early. We know how to stop them spreadin g once we've recognised them as an epidemic - though the US does seem to be woefully inept at actually doing it.

New Scientist claimed that vigorous contact racing and rigorous isolation o f anybody who might have got infected for 14 days from the contact was what actually made the difference. Lock down helped by limitng the number of co ntacts that had to be traced.

They are now relaxing their lockdown - we've had on-site reports of more tr affic on the streets and in railway stations.

d throughout Europe.

Lock down just makes contact tracing easier. You can impose lock down by fi at.

Getting contact tracing going takes more work.

Australia, New Zealand, South Korea and other have done better.

There will eventually be a vaccine. Places that can do contact tracing and quarantine won't have infected people running around infecting other people before we get the vaccine. Some countries are too incompetent to do that w ell.

If you have the bad luck to live in a country that can't manage epidemic co ntrol. More fortunate places can wait until there is a vaccine.

There's nothing particularly probable about that factor of three.

What reliable evidence there is suggests that perhaps one third or fewer of all cases of Covid-19 infection are are asymptomatic. Some new and not all that reliable tests for antibodies to Covid-19 have suggested higher numbe rs, but one has to suspect that that they are detecting antibodies to other corona viruses - perhaps the one that is responsibly for about a quater of the cases of the common cold.

Sorry.

The US has been appallingly inept in trying to contain the epidemic.

The number of new cases per day has been more or less steady at about 30,00

0 per day for a month now. Italy did a poor job of containing the epidemic, but at least their new case per day numbers did start decreasing, even if rather slowly.

The US could have done worse, and sustained the exponential increase for ev en longer, but their claim to be an advanced industrial country looks very dubious.

Trump may be part of the explanation, but the fact that they don't have uni versal health care may reflect a more fundamental - and more important - de fect in the way their society works.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

n't even need to get the R0 number down to zero. We just have to get it en ough below 1.0 that the new infections drops more rapidly than it's doing n ow.

Actually that seems most unlikely. Typhoid Mary was a silent carrier for th e typhoid bacterium that lived in her gut. If you get Covid-19 you either d ie of it, or your immune system gets rid if it.

As many as 30% of Covid-19 infections may be asymptomatic. The antibody tes ts that seem to be saying otherwise are almost certainly wrong - probably r eacting to antibodies to the corona virus that cause a quarter of the cases of the common cold.

But is it practical to test everybody who presents with Covid-19 like infec tion, and contact trace where it came from and isolate all the people who m ight have caught it from them for 14 days from that contact. New seeds can be stopped from germinating into a new epidemic.

The US health system isn't well suited to doing this, but now might be a go od time to clean it up and remove a few other of its obvious defects.

nd throughout Europe.

Places where lock down has been done right - and backed up by aggressive co ntact tracing - needed about six weeks. South Korea relied on contact traci ng alone and that worked equally quickly.

According to some very dubious antibody tests, which seems to be getting a huge number of false positives. I suspect that it is also reacting to antio bodues to the corona virus that causes a quarter of the caes of the common cold.

And the antibody test being used is extremely dubious.

And the antibody test being used is extremely dubious.

The antibody test may in fact be telling you about the past years winter co lds - or at least the 25% caused by a different corona virus.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It shocks me that this kind of ignorant exaggeration doesn't get shot down in an engineering newsgroup.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Of course John Larkin is one of the people most in need of correct explanations, while remaining impervious to any correction of his own - decidedly imperfect - attempts at explanation.

He is an exponent of climate change denial, which is of a piece with his delusions about the Covid19 epidemic.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

If there was one at Tulane when John Larkin was studying there, he must have skipped most of the lectures.

He does seem to have studied hard in the course that taught him how to be a thoroughly gullible twit, or he may just have a natural aptitude.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

John Larkin getting shorn of his sillier ideas? If only.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

A better question, is if you noted the referenced article, didn't you notice the sentence that starts "The point is not that..." which addresses that issue?

I tell you a fifth time (three previous postings by me, one by another) that error estimates are a critical omission; others concur, that's NOT just from me.

If your pet theory needs the protection of repeated falsehoods, science offers a solution: euthanize that pet.

Reply to
whit3rd