OT: Online map utilities

I know this could probably be answered on one of the GIS newsgroups, but I've already ruined my reputation here by asking stupid questions. So here goes:

Does anyone know of a database/lookup utility that will translate a Section, Township and Range into latitude and longitude (either the corners or the center of a section). Most of the mapping pages (terraserver.com, etc.) take addresses (which I don't have) or Lat/Long coordinates.

Specifically, I need one for Los Angeles County.

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my pants!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian

Use the usps.com site to locate a post office near the area you are interested in. The map will display the latitude and longitude of the center, you can then 'move' your point of interest to the center of the map to get a more accurate lat. and long. I am sure there is a better way.

--

-CH
Reply to

I googled with:

Section, Township and Range into latitude and longitude

and the first hit:

says:

"TRS2LL is a routine to convert legal locations (Township/Range/Section) to the latitude and longitude of the center of the section. It also converts any latitude and longitude to the legal Location (TRS). The conversion is done statistically using regression analysis so the accuracy may not be good enough for some applications. The program covers the following states: AR AZ CA CO ID KS MT ND NE NM NV OK OR SD UT WA WY."

It has a "Download executable, source or DLLs" link.

Reply to
James Waldby