aluminum vrs Plexiglas and Lexan

Hi, Dave,

My favorite is Lexan (polycarbonate) - - it is tough, rather than brittle, the way styrene and acrylic plastic are. Take a piece of Lexan an inch wide and 1/8" thick and try to break it in half - - you'll be surprised. It can be drilled, sawed and machined with much less of a tendency to melt than Plexiglas (acrylic plastic). If I see ANY polycarbonate sheet plastic at the flea market or in the scrap bin at TAP Plastics, I buy it up - - extremely useful. For a front panel, you'll probably want to get a product that is heavily tinted or black - - unless you are proud of what's behind the panel and want to jazz it up with colored LED's, as in some of the transparent computer cases on the market.

Good luck

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Olson

I will be replacing a front panel with some switches, etc. on it ans was wondering if anyone could point me to a comparison of the three materials? I'm interested in the plastics because they are non-conducting, but I know they are not as strong. Couldn't find a good comparison so far.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave Boland

Al keeps a lot of electromagnetic crap out, Plexi and Lexan dont.

It all depends on what you have behind the front panel

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Hello Dave,

Personal opinion: I always go for the metal. Keeps EMI in as Martin said, can (somehow...) be labeled, looks more professional. Also, a deep scratch on Lexan can't really be polished away anymore. Neither can it be done on aluminum but it doesn't look as bad if that happens.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg