OT oil spill cleanup

Got an oil spill on some PCB's - I can clean them, no problem. Don't ask if they run faster now! :-) The question is - how do I clean the oil out of the teak (unfinished) bench and out of the flagstone below? There's a hand sized oil stain on both the teak and the flagstone.

I'd really like to get it out of the teak - I prefer the unfinished look - but I can apply an oil finish if I must. That would make it look uniform. The flagstone is another matter. It is large and cemented in place, so replacement is not an option.

Any ideas? TIA

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

You might try letting lacquer thinner soak on a couple layers of paper towel. I have removed used motor oil from concrete that way.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

    Boris Mohar
Reply to
Boris Mohar

Flagstone: Get some acetone at ACE and lots of paper towels :-(

...Jim Thompson

Can't really help with the teak, but for the flagstone, you need a poultice. Use a thick layer of powdered chalk, seal it under plastic with the edges taped down. Leave it for a few days, and it'll draw out as much of the oil as can can be removed. Then clean with normal solvents etc.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

It is not easy to get oil out of porous substances; solvents could be used to soak and dilute the oil and absorbent materials to wipe / sop-up the oiler solvent. But the result is that the oil will be spread more into the material and the solvent may create stains you do not want. For the wood, might be better to use a stain in an attempt to get more uniform (darker?) color. Flagstone? Maybe a thin primer paint or cement colorizer..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Probably too late but, diatomaceous earth (aka cat litter) absorbs oil spills well. You can crush it to increase the surface area and to get into small crevices. Needs to be applied ASAP after the spill. Cover the affected area, leave for several days, change it a few times if desired. I've had v good results getting sump oil off the (concrete) garage floor.

HTH Chris.

Reply to
cth

Jim,

Thanks to you and the others who have replied.

I used acetone today and it removed some of the oil, but I need more acetone to continue. And you were also right about _lots_ of paper towels. :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Solvents will only thin the oil and drive it deeper. You need something that will draw the oil out before you do that, which is why I suggested a poultice. Your use of acetone just made the problem harder to fix.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

MEK (methyl-ethyl ketone) works almost as well as acetone, and is much less volatile.

I'd still go the "kitty litter" route - It would seem to me that solvents would just make the oil soak in.

Isn't flagstone the porous stuff that you used to stick a flake of to your tongue when you were a kid?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The oil is cleaned up. :-) Maybe something in the post below will end up helping someone else.

Flagstone proved to be tougher than the teakto clean! After acetone removed some of the oil, I went to a kitty litter/Dawn soap paste which the local masonry guys advised. (Apply for a few hours, then remove & scrub.) Multiple applications of that continued to work at a diminishing rate of return.

In the meantime, a product I ordered from Harbor Freight arrived. It's called Pour-N-Restore (item# 96312-2AYH) That (with multiple applications) proved to be effective on the flagstone. I then priced a piece of teak to replace the slat that was oil stained. It measures 51" x 2" x 3/4" They want $115.00 for a piece that size! :-( Grumble.

So I said what the hell - I'll try Pour-N-Restore on the underside. Goes on pure white - dries dark orange (in a few hours) the color of the spilled oil. :-) :-) Must be pulling the oil out! Wipe it off, then wash. Several cycles of that, and the teak is now good enough - darn close to the surrounding area of teak in appearance. It is not a perfect solution, as it does leave the teak looking a little different. But this table lives semi-outdoors on a screened porch, so it gets the weathered look I like, and my bet is that the slightly different look will disappear in time.

Thanks again to all you responded. Hope this info helps someone.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr