OT: Network continually stalling

Here is my two cents worth. I have used Win2k for some 10 years, although that machine hasn't been on the Internet for some three or four years now. I had a rootkit virus once and it was NO FUN! I finally got rid of it using SuperAntiSpyware. You can use it for free and even get support through their forums. I found their response time of 1-2 hours was better than the once a day support I could get through Sophos, a company that only sells AVS to businesses. If you want to pay, it is only $20 or $30. I don't think you can trash your system with it very easily.

I think the threat is real. Win2k no longer gets updates to security problems and when "they" find problems in the newer systems, those problems are likely in Win2k as well. It is pretty easy to deal with this problem. You just have to acknowledge that you have a problem. Maybe you aren't infected with a virus yet... the keyword being *yet*! But why not deal with it now and get that off the table?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

[snip]

Actually you get a Volkswagen travelling upside down on its roof at least until the first bend and then you just have a load of bent metal.

Win2000 is a terrible choice of anything to connect to the internet. It has a fantastically broken TCP/IP stack that is open to abuse.

Win7 should even be smart enough to configure the modem close to optimally and can run guest OS's as virtual images. The thing is that comparatively few old programs will not run at all on more modern OS's. Although their installers may baulk at installing on a 64bit OS.

There are at least two reasonably competent free VM programs for Windows. Probably more. But most old software will run on later versions of the OS unless it peaks and pokes at bare metal hardware.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Baer

coax.

page.

necessary

that

the

"activation".

As i understand it, yes. Makes me want to barf. Have you some understanding why i went to Linux now?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Dual CPU, Dual Core, and Hyperthreading are not quite the same. However, you are correct. Windoze 2000 supports dual core and dual processor. Hyperthreading is not supported.

For ever advance in hardware performance, there is an equal and opposite advance in software bloat, features, functions, and performance negating all the hardware improvements. It's been like this since the IBM PC 5150 was introduced in 1981. The original XT hard disk took about 3-5 minutes to boot. Roll forward 30 years, and a flashy new Turbo Sludgebuster PC takes 3-5 minutes to boot. This is not progress.

Desktops are faster. Fast is fun.

Nothing wrong with Linux on a laptop. I have several running various Ubuntu mutations (and one running Backtrack-Linux 5 R3). However, it's always best to check for surprises:

Ummm.... There are plenty other small vendors that will supply Linux pre-installed on various laptops. I just wish the big vendors would go back to selling no-OS laptops. Dell was shipping a few odd models with FreeDOS, that could easily be upgraded to Linux, but stopped doing that a few years ago. The problem was that there was little cost savings in buying a laptop without Windoze, probably due to the radical differences in quantities sold. I resold a few Linux boxes with the Windoze OS and reinstallation partitions backed up, vaporized, and overscribbled with Linux.

No problem. Power users should run power operating systems. However, most of my customers are permanent beginners and cheap, which translates into a Windoze user. I run what my customers user which means Windoze. Just follow the money.

It was very real. Note that the few documented refunds came from the vendors, not from Microsoft. I suspect the vendors just wanted to make the claimants go away:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Well, maybe 85 msec isn't that horrible. DSLreports uses two servers to test ping responses, lq1.dslreports.com in Kansas, and lq2.dslreports.com in Calif. Running traceroute to Kansas from California, I get:

hops:

[74.220.64.17]
[208.106.27.121]
[207.88.12.85]
[207.88.12.21]
[74.208.1.54]
[74.208.1.73]
[74.208.1.65]
[74.208.1.117]
[74.208.1.167]

Nice big jump at xo.net in Denver. DSLreports should have tried both servers. However, for some unknown reason, they reported numbers from the slower server, resulting in larger than normal latency. Also note that the target destination is a shared host on 1and1.com. (I also use 1and1.com).

Never mind looking for problems causing the long latency. We're back down to it being either the CAT5 cable, or the W2K computah.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I never had any until I got my laptop, so I didn't reallize W2k didn't support hyperthreading. I don't know just how useful it was anyway. I guess it was something which is usually better than nothing. Now they can't figure out what to do with the ever increasing number of transistors they can cram on a die of the same size. I guess it just doesn't fit their business model to make smaller die, lol!

That is one reason I like my laptop, sleep mode comes up in... 15 seconds including the log in time...

Desktops are FAR slower. Just the drive back home is so much longer than the time it takes to turn the desktop back on! lol

I haven't been brave enough or willing to deal with the frustration of learning a new system from scratch. Also, I can get "support" on most things Windows at the drop of a hat while my experience with Linux derived software has been poor. I don't know how much Linux proper would be different, but its scary out there in uncharted waters. Isn't the world flat and I'd fall of the edge?

Ok I can't find *affordable* laptops without Windows. My current 17" machine was $450, IIRC and a new one with an i5 and 6 GB/750 GB is around $700-800. I don't see anything close to that in these pages.

I might be willing to pay for a Linux laptop if I knew what I was doing and felt confident. But I don't have the time to spend on months of learning curve. Not to mention that some of the software I run isn't supported by Linux. LogicPort for example. The FPGA software I use costs more on Linux, go figure!

I believe they should be able to recoup this from MSoft, right? But didn't they find a way to stop that? I don't get it myself. If you can't see the EULA until you buy it, how can they stick you with it?

Here in MD and VA they passed laws giving the online website contracts by default (meaning if you come to our site, you have implicitly agreed to our terms even if you don't know anything about them) the full force of a written contract. Do you know the meaning of "indemnify"? It is in many of these online agreements... but I ramble...

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Hmm..worth fiddling with. Desktop has shortcuts to folders as well as programs now; would need some re-arranging. Since i will be the only one here doing that, i will then become the Lone arRanger.

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • Will not work / run in Win2K.

  • Where the F is "RWIN" or how do i change / access it?

  • Downloaded that; saw exactly like the green box that URL shows; see absolutely nothing else - so a waste of time.
  • Does not seem to do anything.
Reply to
Robert Baer

  • Billing has been stable and at their quoted $ for the quoted speed. Definitely not complaining..
  • Yeah; that is why i said "absurd" re: 1Gbit/Sec.

  • Not ignored; the Comcast guys have replaced it twice already.

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • Loaded the Pro version and did a quick scan; zero threats found. Thanks.

Check.

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • I have a HD with Win7 (actually 2 copies), but purposely 32-bit.

Yes, Win7 did a lot of pissant complaining, but almost all loaded and run OK.

Reply to
Robert Baer

30 hops:
[63.249.85.1]
[74.220.64.17]
[208.106.27.121]
[207.88.12.85]
[207.88.12.21]
[74.208.1.54]
[74.208.1.73]
[74.208.1.65]
[74.208.1.117]
[74.208.1.167]
[74.208.229.54]

Am voting the Win2K OS.

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • Nobody believes in KISS.. With the small size, a RISC chip would go faster than a screaming banshee and use about a watt or two.. GREEN as all heck!
  • I believe the legal definition of a (legally) valid contract is that it is a written description where there has been a MEETING of the minds

- implying that BOTH parties are satisfied with that written compromise. Therefore, ALL "shrink-wrap" contracts are not legal and technically un-enforceable. BUT,, remember the golden rule: "he who has the gold, rules".

  • "indemnify" .. .. again, "he who has the gold, rules" (and picks YOUR pockets with that word) .
Reply to
Robert Baer

Just create the folders and drag the existing shortcuts into the proper folder.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

User access controls, however the meaning is sideways, it controls what users have access to what but no ordinary user has any input to it.

Tought shit in the M$ environments, you know why.

Bog, that is really legacy equipment. If you want support for such, change to Linux. No whining either. You, in particular, will have a LOT of problems getting your legacy apps replaced, or only kind of sort, of working in wine. Suck it up or quit computing.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Have you tried changing DNS servers?

Steve Gibson's DNS benchmark tool is wonderful, it may be the solution you are looking for. I would change the DNS servers in the router, not on individual PC's.

Google's DNS works great, 8.8.8.8 (and more) As does Level 3: 4.2.2.2 (and more)

Go for ones that do not re-direct on typos.

It's a two-step process. 1st step is to ping all known public DNS servers. 2nd step is to narrow the list down to the top 50 best ones in your area. It takes a while for both to complete, but worth the wait.

Do not have any other machine on the network using bandwidth while the testing is in progress. Don't surf the web while the tests are being run.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Michael A. Terrell

I picked up an APC Backup UPS XS 1000 a few days ago for $8. The connectors had burnt off inside the battery pack. Not really worth fixing, if I have to buy a new battery cartridge from APC.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell