OT: Network continually stalling

Copy & Paste from Touchstone, unmod:

Status HW/FW Versions Event Log CM State Advanced

RF Parameters Downstream DCID Freq Power SNR Modulation Octets Correcteds Uncorrectables Downstream 1 79 603.00 MHz -0.34 dBmV 36.84 dB 256QAM 276734681 9551 7885 Downstream 2 77 591.00 MHz -1.06 dBmV 36.17 dB 256QAM 53130513 11753 8013 Downstream 3 78 597.00 MHz -0.42 dBmV 36.61 dB 256QAM 52686551 11012 6412 Downstream 4 80 609.00 MHz -0.48 dBmV 37.09 dB 256QAM 54006344 9570 4598 Reset FEC Counters Upstream UCID Freq Power Channel Type Symbol Rate Modulation Upstream 3 1 30.60 MHz 42.50 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 5120 kSym/s 64QAM Upstream 4 3 37.00 MHz 43.00 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 5120 kSym/s 64QAM

Status System Uptime: 2 d: 0 h: 55 m Computers Detected: staticCPE(1), dynamicCPE(1) CM Status: Telephony-Reg Complete Time and Date: Wed 2012-10-31 17:59:43

Interface Parameters Interface Name Provisioned State Speed (Mbps) MAC address LAN Enabled Up 1000(Full) 00:15:D0:D9:73:71 CABLE Enabled Up ----- 00:15:D0:D9:73:72 MTA Pass Up ----- 00:15:D0:D9:73:73

*** How do i interpret signal levels and SNR?
Reply to
Robert Baer

page.

Something you need to understand, the redistributable package is necessary to the smooth operation of your system. It is precompiled binaries that "help" MS "C" programs work properly, such as MSOffice. It largely is the many and varied advanced controls and dialogs common to many programs.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

First, a short rant. If you expect to get help with your problem, it would be very helpful if you would kindly supply numbers instead of trade names. There are five different Arris Touchstone cable modems. What MODEL NUMBER do you have? You also haven't bothered to disclose anything about your computah hardware. It was almost accidental that you mentioned that you're running W2K. I have no idea who is your service provider, although I assumed Comcast and you didn't object. If you can't supply enough information to produce a useful answer (especially if it's in the wrong newsgroup), please do not expect useful answers. At best, you'll get a guess(tm). End of rant.

Upstream signal is about 42dBmV Acceptable range for ATDMA is 8 to 55 dBmV. No problem.

Downstream signal is about -1dBmV, which is tolerable. Acceptable range is -10dBmV to +10dBmV. No problem.

Downstream SNR is about 36dB Acceptable range 256QAM is anything greater than 30dB. No problem.

FEC, corrected and uncorrected are suppose to be no worse than about

5% of data received. You're running at about 0.04%, so that's not a problem.

Offhand, I would say that there's nothing wrong with your cable service, service levels, or unspecified model Arris cable modem.

That leaves the CAT5 cable, your possibly antique computah hardware, or most likely your bad choice of operating system. Drag someone over to your place that has a modern laptop and try the same tests. If that works, either fix your computer, upgrade your OS, or get something more modern.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

** IMPOSSIBLE to use. The most recent _32_bit version of JRE i could find was 6U25; 6U26 etc are 64-bit. And the G-D thing insists i do not have Java loaded!
Reply to
Robert Baer

About a year or so. Tested speed: ping: 5-15mSec, Download: 24.54Mbps, Upload: 3.83Mbps. Ran twice just now,,fairly consistent.

Reply to
Robert Baer

So you are saying that some program i have needs that POS and so it is "automatically loaded?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Oh!. Thanks. Had been running Office 2003 Student,then that "malware finder" program totally trashed the OS and HD. So had to re-build the HD from scratch, and thus lost the "activation". Real shit. So i loaded Office 2000 Pro to have useability for Nerd, Hexcell etc. Office 2000 Pro does not need the activation BS - but from what you say,i guess it "needs" that stupid re-distributable.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Arris Model TM702G/CT P/N TM02AHDG7CT. Motherboard: ASUS M2N-MX SE PLUS, presumably the most modern MB that will directly run IDE hard drives (damn CD/DVD interface is SATA which means some of my older software cannot install because said software uses its own DOS IDE driver (and all but one of them work with SATA). Now i _could_ go back to Win98SE...

** I would like to use _one_ OS for everything..off-line work; lotza programs i have are old and reliable - only one needs impossible to get activation. The i could re-boot to a different OS for online (Win7 maybe). Switching back and forth is a PITA and then some..
Reply to
Robert Baer

With stealth viruses theres's no way way to tell short of booting from known clean media an doing an in-depth analysis. (assuming the BIOS hasn't been compromised too).

No, W2K has been NLS for longer than that, just that hasn't been a problem for you until recently.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I agree that the visaul C++ runtime it a pieceo of shit, it's about 12 years out of date, but last time I checked it was the only C rntime available.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Good modem. DOCSIS 3.0 with VoIP. If it ever hangs or acts weird, punch the reset button with a paper clip in back as the built in battery will prevent reboots using the "pull the power plug" method. Diags show no modem or cable network errors, so it's probably not the modem causing the stalls. However, since you have the slowest

1.5Mbit/sec Comcast(????) service, you still have some potential problems with "bursty" data.

Asus makes generally good mother boards. That one looks like it came out of an HP or Compaq computer. I don't like AMD processors, but that's just a personal preference. They work. All the current motherboards are SATA. The added boost in performance over PATA is well worth the effort. How you managed to find PCIe drivers and dual core CPU support for Windoze 2000 will remain a mystery.

You could also go back to an abacus or slide rule. In a past life, whenever we had a teething problem with new processes or production line problems, there was always some clueless manager that would pronounce that the solution was to go back to the previous methods, which were known to work. I invariably had to convince them that this would effectively created an arrested growth situation, where nothing would progress beyond that point. It's the same with your computer. If you like working with stone age technology, by all means, please do so. However, do not complain when it doesn't work with the latest cable modems or software. You're still stuck at Windoze 2000 level of performance, features, and technology. Put a jet engine in a Volkswagen and what do you get? A Volkswagen.

Well, you've just experienced your first difficulty which is going to be difficult to solve with Windoze 2000. In effect, you have the tail wagging the dog. Instead of utilizing the latest advances in hardware and operating system, you're letting your attachment to old software drive your computing decisions. There's nothing wrong with doing that, except for the not so minor detail that you can't do it forever. I still support SCO Xenix customers running an OS that officially died in about 1989. Also SCO ODT 3.0, which officially died in about 1995. Not too long ago, I supported a Apple Lisa Xenix running a machine shop CAD program. The difference is that they're NOT using these old machines for general purpose computing. They're running a single legacy application needed to keep paranoid lawyers and reactionary owners happy. The general purpose computing was done on various modern desktops and laptops. I suggest you consider doing the same. If you have some antique application that you've become firmly attached to using, usually as a result of having borrowed it from a former employer, then dedicate a machine (or virtual machine) specifically to running that program under Windoze 2000, and buy something modern to run the current stuff. Machines are cheap. Your time tinkering with antique operating systems is not so cheap.

Or, you could run a virtual machine for the Windoze 2000 stuff on Windoze 7 (or Windoze 8). What's important is that you actually try a machine with a modern operating system on your cable modem setup and service, and determine whether it's the computer, OS, or something else. Decisions based on testing tend to produce better results than decisions based on speculation.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

The last version that worked with W2K is Java 6 update 27. I presume that you're familiar with "old apps" web sites such as: Note that there are different versions for 32 and 64 bits. If it's complaining that you're not running a 64 bit OS, it's possible that you've downloaded the wrong version.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I thought you said that you had the slowest 1.5Mbits/sec service.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Put them in folders. I have four folders on the desktop of each computer:

Disk utilities

Graphics

Internet

Misc

I turn on the 'Desktop Toolbar' and with just two clicks I can open any shortcut in any folder. You turn it on by right clicking the bottom bar, select toolbars, then click on 'DESKTOP'.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I cannot afford the $$$ for a "modern" motherboard PLUS SATA drives. I have a LOT of PATA drives, some over 10 years old and all are reliable (i check them out with Spinrite often). So, due to $$$ i am staying with the hardware - - and with luck most of the old software will run under Win7. I could find absolutely NO WAY to have icons smaller than the "default" ("100%"); larger ("150%") yes, but _not_ smaller. With that icon size, i can put only 50 shortcuts on a desktop; i need around 70. Possible work-around: Is there any way to have a shortcut to a _second_ desktop where others can exist?

** Virtual Machine: I have seen a lot of talk about that, in that there seems to be a number of people using a VM approach so as to make switching between OSes easier, faster and _maybe_ give some isolation and protection. Does that mean i have to $pend lot of money to get a VM that i know nothing about and then find it does not allow a given OS, or worse,allow a given OS but with limitations in usage? Fer eggzample, the command box in Win2K "and up" is a DOS VM emulation that is partly crippled: no direct I/O to serial, parallel, video or memory.

Does one boot to Super Duper VeeEmm Ultra DEluxe, then load Win2K as if one had a blank HD, then load Win7 also as if the rest of the HD was empty? If so, does one then see the familiar DOS-looking boot choice menu? And does a "shutdown" in one of the OSes get you back to that menu?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have learned that lesson the hard way; i can access almost any update number i want and find if it is 32-bit or 64-bit before downloading; version 25 was the most recent 32-bit and version 26 was

64-bit; i quit searching at that and downloaded version 25 and it runs, but did not work. Tried a few times,and _then_ got the message the damn thing (Java) was disabled (!!). So,enabled got me: Tweak Tester Result We have collected information from your trial download and upload. Service: Download Speed kbit/s: (the download speed advertised for your line) Operating System: Connection:
  1. Your Tweakable Settings Receive Window (RWIN): 65535 Window Scaling: off Path MTU Discovery: ON RFC1323 Window Scaling: OFF RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF Selective Acks: ON MSS requested: 1460 TTL: (less any hops behind firewall) 129 TTL remaining: 116 TOS flags: none set
  2. Test Download Actual data bytes sent: 1024001 Actual data packets: 703 Max packet sent (MTU): 1500 Max packet recd (MTU): 1470 Retransmitted packets: 0 sacks you sent: 0 pushed data pkts: 91 data transmit time: 2.225 secs our max idletime: 228.9 ms transfer rate: 403264 bytes/sec transfer rate: 3226 kbits/sec transfer efficiency: 100%
  3. ICMP (ping) check Minimum ping: 82.52 ms Maximum ping: 87.98 ms Ping stability:
83.62 87.98 84.38 82.97 86.23 86.32 82.52 86.23 87.93 84.14
  1. Notes and Recommendations Choose RWIN between 236520 and 629260 (FAQ #586) If you have GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize registry entry (do a REGEDIT Find) then change it to -1 (decimal) download/use DRTCP .. (FAQ #578) Read the tweak FAQ

Observations: Upload packet less than your MTU (FAQ #1492) Good data stream (no/few rexmits)

Observations: Looking good

************* So.... 1) What is this RWIN? 2) That GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize does not exist. 3) Should i get and run DrTcp like the reccomendation states?
Reply to
Robert Baer

Correct; that is what i am paying for; the Comcast guy was amazed that i was running faster. The card i bought (no name,no Id,"software" CD was Z-rated in that NOTHING could read it) "Reads" as a Realtek RTL8169 NIC and according to the double-monitor network icon, the LAN is running at the impossible

1Gb/Sec. Obviously if true it is in VERY short bursts to the modem (magnum bullets into the lawn).
Reply to
Robert Baer

What? You're on a 6Mbit/sec cable connection and you're getting 85 msec latency to dslreports? It should be about 15 msec.

Download and install: It's a graphical version of traceroute (err... tracert on Windoze). Try various well known servers, such as

and try to determine if the 85msec is a one time oddity, or if it's an indication that something is broken somewhere. For example, if your WAN side default gateway is pointing to some evil hackers man in the middle server, instead of your unspecified ISP's gateway, that might explain the long delay.

So did you do these? DRTCP is at:

Receive window. It's the number of packets that can be sent before your network stack decides to sit and wait for an acknowledgement that the packets were correctly received.

The -1 just turns it off which effectively sets it to automatic. If my rapidly failing memory and limited patience are still functional, it means that you are far behind on Windoze 2000 updates.

Of course. When you first run it, make a note of what the various boxes contain. If you make a mess, you can put it back to these values.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Ok. You're on Comcast. I'm not amazed. The 1.0 and 1.5Mbit/sec service tier doesn't work well and creates the dreaded calls to Comcast tech support. My guess(tm), it they upgraded everyone to the next higher tier rather than fix the problems. Keep your eye on the billing amount. You may get a surprise.

No, the ethernet interface speed is 1GBit/sec (1000baseT). The Arris TM702G has a 10/100/1000 Mbits/sec interface, as does your no-name ethernet card. However, that doesn't mean that you're moving data at

1GBit/sec as you're limited by the speed of the internet. It doesn't hurt to leave it at 1GBit/sec.

Incidentally, if you want to see what kind of speed your interface is capable of providing, try JPerf or IPerf. The catch is that you'll need two computers to do the measurement.

Yeah, something like that. Delivering your 6 to 24 Mbits/sec on a

1000Mbits/sec line, will produce long pauses between packets. That's not a problem, unless you have a home made ethernet cable, with all the wires on the wrong pins. I've had to deal with performance issues that turned out to be nothing more than a wrong or miswired ethernet cable. If you recall, I've suggested twice that you check this, which you've ignored.

Anyway, I'm getting bored with this topic. I do this type of work all day, and really prefer to read about electronic design, instead of fixing yet another PC or networking problem. Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Hey! Win2000 has had multiprocessor support from day one. They used to be two chips on a board, but is that really any different? lol Then there was the hyperthreading which seemed to work like dual cores to the OS at least...

Why is it that the software wears out before the hardware? There's something wrong with that concept.

At this point I am a laptop sort of guy, otherwise my next OS would be Linux. I'm due for a hardware upgrade soon and you can't get laptops without Windows like you can boxes. Other than this laptop, I don't think I've bought a copy of Windows since Win95. I don't feel at all bad about it either.

I understand someone once tried getting a refund on the cost of Windows by claiming the EULA required a full refund of the software cost if he objected to the license on first bootup. I believe this guy eventually got his $50 or so, but they have since changed policy so that you can't do that anymore. But this may be urban legend, I don't know.

Rick

Reply to
rickman