OT: Linked Out?

got that here, solid steel!

Kind of noisy crossing concrete, and not recomended on tiled surfaces

maintenance free.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

use less butane. (or maybe use acetylene?)

my uncle did it once by wrapping a rope tightly round the circumferance of the tire to splay the beads and then using the inflater loosening the rope as the tire filled.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

NTFS does support hard links. The windows rsync server however may not support creating them them; but if it was compiled using cygwin I would expect it to.

there's a way to do all this in one step using the rsync option

--link-dest (pointing to yesterday's backup)

yeah, it's real neat!

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Not quite that scenario, but, I've seen a cleaner plug a 2000W vacuum into a 1800VA UPS and bring the system down. (actually, I only saw them unpluging the vacuum after the system went down)

Reply to
Jasen Betts

NTFS (or rather windows) has extremely poor support for hard links. Theoretically, NTFS supports them - in practice, windows and almost every program running on windows is blissfully unaware of hard links. The only decent program I know of for working with hard links in windows is a port of *nix "ln".

However, it's not rsync that is handling the links in this sort of backup system (rsync will backup symbolic links in different ways - copy the link or copy the file pointed at). It is the recursive copy with "cp -al" that makes the linked copy. It's quite possible that the cygwin "cp" supports this properly, but I simply wouldn't trust windows with a hard link - it is effectively an undocumented and untested feature.

Yes, and I believe that's the way dirvish implements its backups. With rsnapshot you can separate the rsync and the copy into distinct steps, which I feel is a clearer arrangement and recovers better if there is an error (such as a network failure have way through). With dirvish, it's too easy to accidentally end up with an empty backup if the source machine was switched off - it's no harm in itself, since you have lots of valid backup copies, but the next backup will transfer everything anew, taking network bandwidth and disk space.

Reply to
David Brown

One is solid rubber, but not that hard. The others feel like they are filled with closed cell foam. I just replaced the wheel & tire on mine, along with the wheels & tires on my garden cart. The original cart rims were plastic, with a 3/4" hub and cost $50 each, plus shipping. The plastic was starting to crack, and so rough inside that you couldn't keep tubes in them.

I went to a local Fastenal store and bought a 5/8" steel rod to make a new axle, then used the heavy duty handtruck tires & rims from Harbor Freight. I have a pile of thinwall tubing with a 3/4" O.D. that slid over the new axle and fit perfectly in the tilt hinges. The complete conversion cost $32, and I can buy affordable, common parts for future repairs.

Michael A. Terrell

I've

Yep, I think I needed a 13" tire, just $36.99! A new barrow was only $29.99!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

that

the

I've

people

LiIon.

All I have invested in mine was a new wheel, and they were on sale. My retired dad sold his house here in Florida and decided not to take a lot of stuff. I am thinking of having a couple yard sales to thin it all out.

Michael A. Terrell

wrap the tire with a piece of clothesline squeeze until the bead touches on bothsides then add air until it seats.

Reply to
qrus19