OT: Linked Out?

Checklists are good for things that must be done manually, and must not be forgotten. Automation is good for things that can be done automatically. There is no point in doing things manually just for the sake of it if it can be done just as well automatically.

It's a different matter if it can't be done automatically, or the automation doesn't have appropriate monitoring, or if it is safety-critical (that's why aircraft routines *are* automated, and require manual checking as well, or they are manual, and have automated checks).

Reply to
David Brown

I consider Backups to fall into this category. More than once have I seen automatic backups copy corrupt files while people worked to "un-corrupt" them. I want mine manual so I know what's going on and when :-)

Just like there is a reason why the landing gear doesn't come out automatically in an aircraft. During a missed approach procedure this could otherwise be really bad.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Backups only fall into this category if you don't have a good backup system. I have a good backup system, as described in another post - it won't corrupt my backups even if it fails. And even if it did manage to do something awful, I have redundant backups - they won't both fail at the same time.

If you have such a poor and unreliable backup system that it needs hand-holding and it might destroy your other backups in the process, then I suppose manual backups are your only choice. Your backup system is better than no backup system at all, but it is far from being a good and reliable system.

Reply to
David Brown

And some of that is the way the taxes are set up. Over double on the replacement batteries. .

Reply to
JosephKK

Really? Maybe that's why they are so outrageous in price. Even at Walmart they are very expensive. The topper are cell phone where people by a new one when the LiIon dies because it's cheaper than a new LiIon. Environmentally wrong, totally wrong.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That is the reason why if I have choice have a strong preference for devices which take ordinary AA or AAA batteries. Of course with cell phones you have no choice (oh well...the cell phone I had more than 10 years ago could also run on 3 AAA cells).

Reply to
Dombo

Same with cordless phones. I have yet to find one that would run on a couple of AA cells instead of those dreaded sub-whatever triple-packs where the stores want around $15 each and where you have no clue how long they've been sitting on their shelf. There was never a production date on the package. Of course not.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Fortunately my (ten year old) cordless phone runs on two AA cells. Within two years the batteries it came with failed. In this case it was an easy and cheap repair that still lasts to this day. However if it had had q custom battery pack I probably had have to toss it.

Reply to
Dombo

Our cordless phones actually last a long time. The first one was the best, Cincinnatti Microwave. Then the company quit making them and batteries became prohibitively expensive. The current set is around six years, still perfectly ok except the batteries are croaking again.

My first handheld electronics was a pocket radio I got for Christmas when I was a kid. 40 years later, perfectly fine, used it a month ago when remodeling the lab and all the wall outlets were out.

Yep, that could lead to fire in the trousers, literally. If it is offered by a company with just a P.O. box or somewhere in a not so regulated country I wouldn't buy it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe, though handheld electronics (especially the stuff you keep in your pocket every day) tends to have a limited life. I'm on my 6th cell phone or so, none because of batteries.

It's not a bad idea to pick up a spare battery online before you need it.. costs around $10-$15 for the BST-37 Li-ion pack in my current phone, including shipping. Hopefully it's not a counterfeit with the protection circuit left out. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hey, it isn't just cel phones! Last year, I got a flat on my wheelbarrow. Not only the tube, but I had a cut right through the side of the tire. Guess how much a new wheel (you couldn't get a tire and tube!) would cost? You guessed, just as much as a whole new wheelbarrow! So, I got a new wheelbarrow, a bigger one!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Hope you thought to get one with a solid tire? Around here "bullhead" thorns go right thru tires. In Arizona there are standard issue "thorn-proof" tubes for bicycles.

...Jim Thompson

No, it is still inflatable. Didn't really have the option for the solid tires on the new barrows. I could have bought a replace such tire though, for just a little more than for my new barrow!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Yep. I need to make a trip to replace the one sitting in the side yard ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Michael A. Terrell

Hard rubber? Those can make a whole lotta noise, drive your neighbors crazy and every slight bump in the driveway causes pieces of firewood to jump right out the wheelbarrow.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The "worry free tire" listed there is hard rubber, but the other two are more of a strong foam-rubber -- it's still "squishy."

I have a wheelbarrow wheel right now where the tire has come off the rim... I tried the as-seen-on-YouTube means of remounting it by squirting butane inside and then lighting it off, but all I managed to get were slow-burning fires rather than the (small) explosion that's required. Guess I'll have to take it to a proper tire dealer...

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I've

You're that close to your neighbors ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

I've

I just remembered... someone actually makes a tire, hollow with a spring insert... for cars! Pirelli, maybe?

...Jim Thompson

that

I've

No, but almost on top of a hill. When our Rottweiler burps you can hear it from 1/4 mile away :-)