OT: Inter-state shipping regulations in your country?

On a sunny day (Mon, 06 Sep 2010 09:54:05 +1000) it happened Grant wrote in :

I ordered the FPGA board from

payed by credit card IIRC, but still it was intercepted at customs, and I had to pay something to customs. It was more then 100$, so maybe it was over the threshold. Do they have VAT down under?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

IIRC,

Called it GST: Goods and Services Tax, replaced sales tax with a lower rate but now on just about everything. Still 10%. But there's excise on beer petrol tobacco and state taxes so not a lot changed. Except electronics equip. tax went down by a fair amount. I think we have a $200 threshold for paying tax on importing, I've not bought anywhere near that in one hit to trigger import tax.

The 'services' part put up lots of stuff by 10%, because there was no tax before in many areas.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

It's not the other side that's causing problems. It's the destination state. The latter views all incoming goods as potential items for resale at a profit inside its borders, and therefore wants to collect VAT from the reseller.

Nothing fundamentally wrong with a government wanting to collect taxes. It's when they impose a lot of restrictions on importing anything from out of state that it becomes irksome.

Reply to
Pimpom

From what you and others are saying, it appears that at least some US states collect taxes on sales to other states. That's not the issue here.

In any case, it's not the paying of taxes that I object to. It's the fact that I have to get a permit to buy anything from out of state that I find objectionable.

Reply to
Pimpom

On a sunny day (Mon, 6 Sep 2010 21:44:38 +0530) it happened "Pimpom" wrote in :

At least in the EU, between member states, there is pretty much free trade.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yes, I mean any country. I'd like to hear about practices in various countries.

As I said n reply to someone else, it's not paying taxes that I object to. After all, the government has to have sources of revenue. What I do mind is the way they treat all purchases from another state as if they were imports from a foreign country. Import regulations exist to protect indigenous manufacturers. Over here, the unreasonable restrictions arise out of an overzealous desire to collect taxes from goods sold for trade inside the state.

Reply to
Pimpom

OK. No permits required. At least everywhere but Californica. I'm pretty sure Californica still requires that an out-of-state car purchase be smog-certified.

Californica is one of those states we could lose and not miss ;-) ...Jim Thompson

          Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash
           Otherwise the dogs will refuse to eat them :)

Which the federal government has no hand in collecting, so no one does.

Reply to
krw

That's what I gathered. And those are sales across international borders. Over here, the restrictions are for sales within the same country, for god's sake! Some businesses have already put up notices saying that they will not ship to certain states.

Reply to
Pimpom

"Withholding" == advanced payments on income tax

Sales tax is collectable where it's shipped (purchased), not where it's sold. If he bought something from out-of-state, he should pay AZ sales (technically, "use") tax. No CA sales tax is chargeable. In reality, no tax is paid unless the merchant does business in both states (tax is still owed to AZ, however).

Reply to
krw

We've found that doing business (sales) with India is often more hassle than it's worth. One gets the idea that it's not because of incompetence.

Reply to
krw

Well, that's out of an entirely different concern. The restrictions here are due to an overzealous desire to collect taxes from sales inside a state.

I've seen notices on some US business sites about taxes on shipments to California. I sometimes get the impression that California's affiliation to federal USA is rather tenuous. Or is that Texas? :)

Reply to
Pimpom

No, no state can collect taxes from another state. Some businesses have a "presence" in other states so collect taxes on purchases in a state where they do business. A state cannot collect taxes from a company that doesn't do business in its state. They can, and do, try to collect a "use tax" on purchases made out-of-state. They seldom succeed. The one place they do succeed, is where the item must be registered for use, like a car.

I don't blame you. Again, it seems that the purpose isn't to collect taxes (there are better ways to do that), rather somehow "protect" local businesses (or maybe to collect bribes).

Reply to
krw

ct.

old.

ally,

id unless

er).

But CA FTB (tax board) imposes sales tax on all shipments out of state from CA, they said they are collecting tax for other states. I am wondering if legal action has been taken yet. I would like to see CA payment records to other states for sale tax enforcements.

The environmental impact fee of importing out of state vehicle was stricken by the court, many years ago. I got refund on the money paid, but not interest or penalty. The class action should have gone for penalties and hold administrators liable.

Why don't we require government administrators to understand the US Constitution as job requirement?

Reply to
linnix

(technically,

unless

Most politicans don't even uderstand why the sun 'comes up each morning'. :(

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

As well as all in-state vehicles, so it is proper.

However, we should rethink/relax the smog smoke screen and go for higher mileage requirements instead.

But don't blame all the people for bad leaders.

Reply to
linnix

I've recently bought stuff from CA, without paying sales tax. If what you say is true, I expect it to be yet one more nail in Kalifornika's coffin.

VT had the same, though they charged sales tax on vehicles owned by people moving into the state. They ended up losing the case and had to refund the tax to people who could prove that they paid a higher tax in other states.

You must be joking. Why don't we require the same of politicians?

Reply to
krw

The followers elected them.

Reply to
krw

Well, India is famous for bureacracy. If you guys don't clean up your act you'll forever be twenty, then thirty, then forty years behind China. Are individual Indian states doing bilateral trade deals with foreign countries?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Then how come Amazon.com collects NY state sales tax?

P*sses me off, especially since there seems to be no reasonable way to recover the tax, even if it's subsequently exported.