OT, hydrogen economy stats, big numbers

Getting H2 for SUV's apparently needs a lot of pure water, 1.21 jigabuckets even

Don Lancaster replies with a pointer to one of his pdf's in

Three...

Two....

One....

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

why not use the cooling water thats wasted in the power plants, its already warmed up or even evaporated so should require less energy to produce h2.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

"colin" wrote in news:Fi1Ti.13519$7a2.9186 @newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

It would need trasnported. Either the warm water or resultant H2, which itself takes energy.

Reply to
Gary Tait

you cant realy transport warm water very well as it gets cold, and it would be pointless transporting both the water and the electricity from some place to some other place, then transporting the h2 to somewhere else too.

theres huges gas pipelines all over the place, presumably these will eventually end up carrying h2 too when we think weve ruined the planet enough or ran out of fosile fuels.

either way if the energy needed is renewable and available its not then an issue.

I gues the hydrogen is easier to transport becuase it is lighter than the amont of water used to make it, although its far more volumous.

if it becomes possible to viably convert h2 into a liquid fuel or a gas eqv to todays gas then it requires little change in distribution.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Colin, Are you a degreed engineer? What university?

...Jim Thompson

"colin" skrev i en meddelelse news:hWnTi.95222

... apart from cryogenics and the H2 will probably seep into the welds, making them brittle so the crack (and the plastic gas pibes will be porous to H2).

The best thing about the hydrogen economy is that it will provide a job for life for all engineers ....

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

I went to uni over 25 years ago here in the UK, most of what I use has been learnt since then, or I new as a hobby wich i startyed at 10yrs

I did software for most of my life anyway as pay was 2x but i never resisted the opourtunity to get involved in the electronics as I often wrote device drivers etc, it always bemused the elec engineers when i told them exactly what was wrong with their hardware and how to fix it lol.

rest of my family is entirly mech eng orientated so I have a fairly wide range of skills

why do you ask ?

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Well yes...

The only way to transport hydrogen is to combine it with CO2 and make a high energy fuel, like a hydrocarbon, well, like, hmmm, petrol (gas). That will make it carbon neutral as well. And the pipelines are already there !

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Your misconceptions about piping H2, and what H2 can do to existing pipes ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I dont realy think I had any misconceptions about it at all, I offered an idea for discussion.

I know H2 is rather awkard to use, such as the weight of the storage is unatractive for vehicle use.

thats why I also added IF it could be converted to an eqv gas it wouldnt need any change in distribution.

I didnt know just how corrosive H2 was though. If we run out of gas I gues the existing pipes would have to be modified or lined before H2 is put through them or maybe this isnt even an option ?

Ive heard about attempts to convert it to methane and also to liquid fuels. it might take some energy to convert but this might be offset by needing less energy to handle it.

if we realy start to run out im sure this will have more and more money thrown at it until it is solved.

H2 doesnt realy come into electronics engineeering a lot anyway, and I never claim to be a chemist, I consider my skills to be spread out over enough fields without being one this is after all a electronics forum, well err sometimes anyway.

it just seems such a no brainer to re-use the cooling water if the amount needed is going to be a problem, wich was my original post.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin