Serial numbers ?

Hi,

see this pic of pair of Alesis M1 Active speakers.

Note that what appears to be a bar code & serial number is the same on both boxes.

How common is this very annoying Chinese practice ?

Repairers *need* to distinguish one example of a product from another and will record serial numbers along with documentation of their work in order to do so.

Now that "everything is made in China" do we need to create our own and apply them internally to the item ?

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Waht the f*ck does "bass density" mean ? Wel probably nothing but what does it do I wonder. Just for the hell of it.

But the serial number problem, those ar both stand alone units I assume. If they somehow rquird each other to run your, well you would have called yourself some names or something.

All I can say is this, if you service one of them, MARK THE OTHER ONE. got the logic of that ? If oyu mark the one you serviced, they could mak a similar mark on the other one. But if you mark the one you did not service, they cannot unmark it.

And definitely tell them unless you want to gt up video evidence. In fact just do it and take a video of it.

If you check, the laws in most civilized countries do not prohibit the marking of a "serviced" unit by a servicer. For reference purposes of course. Of course. This is reference purposes.

And on the paperwork you put A. That is the one you fixed. The other one is B, the one you marked.

In some of these hack shops I worked on things had no serial numbers. I was trying to tell them to at least use the last four digits ust for identification purposes. They never listened, and they got burnt a couple of times. Fukum. Especially now.

But I am happier freelance anyway. The basement turns into a shop I guess. At least I will move in an upward direction.

Whatever.

(this is not personallly to you or anyone)

Reply to
jurb6006

FWIW, the (21) is actually an indentifier for the number being a serial, so you are correct.

But being Chinese, I'd bet there are thousands with the same serial number. Hell, maybe they're even fake. MK Sound was stupid and tried having stuff made in China to save money, and were then shocked when the fakes were outselling the legit ones, which were still chinese, and who the f*ck wants that? It turns out nobody. Typical greedy asshole MBA logic.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I wonder if all the speakers of the same model have the same serial number? I once bought a pile of counterfeit ethernet cards, all with the same MAC address. The speakers in the photo look real, but if Alesis claims that duplicate serial number is not their standard practice, I would be suspicious of the speakers.

Might as well check. This is the only image of the back of an Alesis M1 Active 620 speaker that I could find with Google image search. I can't really read the entire serial number, but the few digits that are readable (09077) are NOT the same as yours. However, they seem to be identical serial numbers on both speakers, which confirms the practice by Alesis. Maybe they do some kind of matching that requires the speakers be tested and shipped in pairs?

I don't know. My problems don't arrive in pairs and I don't fix amplified speakers.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

** Refer to the operating manual ....

** Only the faulty item arrives on my beach, owners keep the other. ( FYI: the pic of a pair together is off Google Images )

I became aware of the issue today, when comparing the number on the one I have with a 3 year old invoice covering the other one for the same fault.

I posted the story here in September, 2011.

See Google Images pic of the problem coil covered in yellow glue.

The coil ( which runs a tad warm) develops shorted turns and the PCB catches fire near it - resulting is dead mosfets, SMPS IC, diodes etc.

Compounding the issue is the fact there is no mains off switch on the unit.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Just curious... is this a Chinese standard, or worldwide, or...? Are there other prefix numbers that indicate other things, like a model number?

Thanks!

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Back in 70's when HP held monthly meetings of the 'Electric Car' group, there was a guy giving a presentation on making his electric care and describing his experience at getting a 'custom' motor from China. At that time all the electrical enthusiasts were grabbing the starter motors out of the discarded WWII bombers. Seems the motor had great specs for running a car. This guy sent the specs to China and had a Manufacturer make one for him, copying the 'design of those starter motors, with improvements. He showed his first shipment motor and its serial number. He noted that here in the US, EVERYBODY obfuscates the fact that something is one of the first of Production so invent very long, meaningless string of numbers, like 11001001 to be the first unit and so on. But this Chinese unit clearly showed 002, and the guy made the comment he didn't know where 001 was, perhaps failed, perhaps kept. But he he was as surprised as everyone there that they clearly showed how non-mature the product was with a serial number of 002.

He also showed pictures of his visit to the Manufacturer. There was a huge warehouse type room of very expensive winding machines, huge, costly machines, but the overall space was so dark with only tiny little lights showing, looked like starbrights across this cavernous space. He explained that they had all this expensive capital equipment, but ONLY the work spaces for threading the machines were lighted, ...whith what looked like singer sewing machine light bulbs! He also lamented it was often too dark to even get a useable photo.

Reply to
RobertMacy

there are standards, and there are hundreds of "application identifiers" as they're called. Here's some:

The give-away you're not looking at just random house data is a long barcode and (xx) in the human readable section.

Supply chain folks love this type of data, which is why components from major distributors come with 4000 barcodes and 4 bags per pack of 5 LED or whatever you're ordering. Once you notice this sort of barcode, you'll start to see it everywhere.

As for codes for a model number, GTIN may be the closest thing, but rarely is this the actual model number of product. It will be a unique number which then maps to an actual product.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I worked at an cable company that handed out hundreds of routers for cable modems that all had the same MAC address (problem at the factory). The amazing part was it sort of worked for weeks or months until somebody realized there was a problem and then traced it down.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Maybe it's not a serial number but a UPC (product ident. code.) They scan and count for inventory at the factory.. or something.

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

Thanks!

If you're ordering small quantities of surface-mount parts, it's probably not hard for the barcodes and bag to weigh more than the parts. If the barcodes were printed on an inkjet printer, they're probably worth more than the parts, too!

Thinking about it now, I've seen the (xx)yyyy... codes before, I just didn't know what they meant.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds