OT: HTML please?

I have a number of documents in Nerd that look rather nice when viewed or printed to PDF. I would like to get the _SAME_ looks after rendering to HTML. What will do this? Nerd cannot do it.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Just for the sake of argument, what is the native document in, what are you rendering to html with and what are you viewing with?

I've been using Kompozer for my web stuff. Nice simple "what you see is what you get" editor.

Oppie

On a sunny day (Mon, 2 Jul 2012 11:30:11 -0400) it happened "Oppie" wrote in :

Or you could make a screenshot .gif and embed it in the html.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

In this case, the "native document" is in Nerd; i am stuck. Right now,i print to PDF and use that. I used the baby bird (goo gull) and found some online and some offline converters; do not like the idea of online conversion. With my experience, i could download 6 different converters,be luck if 2 work, and bot be crap. So..if anybody has real experience with a given program. i am open to suggestion (as long as it is free . . for a while (say a week) at minimum.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I will try this Komposer, but i hope i do not have to re-invent the wheel, the rim and the road..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Be real. Multiple pages. Text. Graphs. Charts with text in cells. And do not forget Mister Et Cetera.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Aren't there many PDF -> HTML converters? ...Jim Thompson

Quick search finds a few.

I just downloaded and build pdftohtml, from Sourceforge.

Compiles clean, and runs.

Gave it the Pspice command reference PDF, which it digested. and spat out some HTML. It doesn't look terribly pretty, but displays in browser, and all the links work.

I guess whatever you use, there will be some HTML editing needed to pretty it up.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Got some samples to demonstrate what "doesn't look terribly pretty" means? ...Jim Thompson

I just tried one of your a.b.s.e.-posted pdfs. Doesn't look too bad, viewed in Firefox. My normal offline viewing browser (Dillo), isn't sophisticated enough to make them look good. However, it makes 6 files in all, including PNGs of the drawings. If you like, I'll zip them up and post to a.b.s.e. Too much to post here. Separate (linked) file for each page, plus index page, plus pngs. I have to use another news client (Sylpheed), to post binaries. Pan only reads binaries.

I'm still on the learning curve, it's command line, BTW.

I did notice that, if you give it a pdf with bookmarks, it generates frames.

It may be better than I first thought.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Sounds like it. Please post your stuff to A.B.S.E.

Thanks!

I need to bring up two non-engineering websites...

ahwatukee-foothills.com [community bulletins]

and...

LiberalsAreDummies.com [political, obviously :-]

and I've tired of Frontpage, so I'll try your Kompozer suggestion. ...Jim Thompson

Done!

Kompozer wasn't my suggestion, I think that was Robert Baer.

I use a mixture of Star Office 5 (excellent math editor), Amaya, and any-old-text-editor, for HTML and pdf documents. I prefer pdf to HTML. More control over how it will look on someone else's machine.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... ]

It's surprising you were able to get that one considering how many dumb liberals are out there.

Here's a good front page for you.

tm

Why do you want to do that? IMHO PDF is a preferred format.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Good question,so asked the baby bird. Seems about half of what Goo Gull proffers are online (a big NO). Will try some, but like the other converters first mentioned i bet most are unusable for one or another reason (usually missing DLLs but many will not work without MAJOR OS and HW upgrades).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Love it! Got the exe, ran it, lots of stuff flew by during install and got the infamous "generated errors" message (ie: something crashed). Does not work; story of my life.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Who cares? When "generated errors" is the message after install, it cannot be used.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Komposer: Downloaded it, installed; so far OK. Does not accept M$ Word documents; it launches Word with the document in question. Nice, but.......... Then what?

  • Looks like it is yet another start-from-scratch-create-wheel program.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, i am told that HTML is "more accessible" to spiders..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Did you try this? this will produce an image of your output that can be shown in a page any where. actually, I think I have something I made around here that generates BMP's as a printer device.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie