OT: Hee! Hee!

I wrote high volume project. Can't you read?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

50K/yr is "high volume"? OK, here's your bone. pat-pat-pat
Reply to
krw

You really are a sloppy reader. That was _another_ project and you do not know anything about how many of those chips will be in each of the new units but, as usual, blurt out an opinion.

Besides, even if it were only 50k/year on a $3 product, not being willing to invest 10 minutes in pre-sales support and leaving $150k/year in sales times 20 years on the table is not smart. If you are able to calculate the ROI for those 10mins now. Which I sometimes doubt.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You really are a simpleton. It's never 10 minutes on one question that guarantees $150K and no, $150K/year isn't a lot of money from one customer. Obviously they don't think it's worthwhile, either. And they're doing the counting.

Reply to
krw

In this case it is if they did sufficient engineering tests after the design. For example, with LTC that was never a problem at all. Now that they were bought by AD that went down the hill a bit.

I have encountered that sort of attitude before. It changed dramatically after I contacted a big shot there, and prontissimo. It does get people in trouble later, which it should.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

a.

m.

ars

s.

There are always waiting lists. Thatcher under-resourced the UK National He alth Service when I was living in the UK so that the waiting lists for elec tive surgery got remarkably long, but she wasn't able to starve it out of p roviding timely emergency care.

The UK National Health Service costs about half as much per head as the US pays for medical care. France, Germany and the Netherlands pay for a bit of spare capacity, so their health care is two thirds of the price per head o f the US system, and you don't usually have to wait long to be attended to

- though the Dutch have been known to ship elective surgery cases into Germ any when their system couldn't deliver as fast as they'd like.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

has

t, TI

for

was

ess

ps

I'd

le

rs

no

Joerg wasn't suggesting that support was free, but rather suggesting that d irecting support only to people who had already bought parts and were still buying parts was trifle short-sighted.

New products happen from time to time, and getting your part into a new pro duct can lead to a lot of new sales. Return on Investment isn't about the r eturn you are getting on an investment made years ago, but should be about assessing where you might get most money from correctly directing your inve stment now.

Putting money into buggy-whip manufacturers isn't a great idea when somebod y is inventing the automobile, and providing good support to krw has to be a short term investment.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Joining the Party is a rather serious investment, and can become very expen sive if the Party doesn't deliver - as they mostly don't.

When the Soviet Union fell apart, Communist Party members mostly didn't get stuck up against a wall and shot, though Nicolae Ceau?escu (and his w ife) were in Romania.

Membership of the Republican Party in the US doesn't offer the benefits tha t membership of the communist party did in Russia - Republicans are more in to minimising the services that get paid for by their taxes than maximising what other peoples taxes do for them - but the damage they are doing to th e prosperity of the USA in the process may yet get them prosecuted for trea son.

0ne can only hope.
--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

.

work has

st

left, TI

m AD for

. TI was

eedless

Opamps

.
0's I'd

while

lf

Others

they

ll. I

They no

s,

Krw calling anybody else a simpleton is always good for a laugh. When he tr ies to call Joerg a simpleton he does make it obvious that he's not good as assessing other people.

/year > isn't a lot of money from one customer.

If it actually ten minutes on one question that gets $150k per year in busi ness, that ten minutes would have been well invested.

It's never just the ten minutes, but if not spending the ten minutes (on to p of all the product development and marketing expenditure) throws away all the other money that has been spent, it is a bad choice.

They don't think that it's worthwhile because they haven't thought about it . Bean counters fail to think about a lot of stuff they can't actually coun t. When I was working in England, the accountants decided that what they co uld make on extra bank interest by taking three months to pay our broad-lin e supplier was worth the irritation of our buyers.

What the accountants couldn't count was the cost having a million pound mac hine stuck on the end of the production line for the lack of a ten pence co mponent that the broad-line supplier wouldn't ship us until we paid our bil l.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I have noticed that we occasionally get a really good app engineer, and that they don't last long.

I can't imagine a better way to get a really good job than being a mixed-signal semiconductor app engineer. It would be like being paid to have a hundred job interviews a year.

lunatic fringe electronics

Getting good enough at mixed signal circuit design to become a useful application engineer wouldn't be easy, so them being hired them away from whoever it was that had trained them up does seem to imply a certain carelessness in the original employer.

May be there was an implicit condition in the original job - like having to flatter your boss - that eventually made it too hard to take.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I know several people on Obamacare. Their biggest complaint, "Where am I going to get $6,000 for my deductible". But then one went and bought a brand new car, that way they don't have to worry about it breaking down. Great financial thinking! I'm 62 never had a new car, not because I can't afford it, but because I'd rather save the money and watch it grow. And I'm not worried about my car breaking down. (because I've been watching my money grow, a repair is just another expense) My college son is driving our 97 Lexus with 220,000 miles on it, we decided it might be time to sell it. We have a 2005 Avalon we thought we would give to him to drive. My wife spent 3-1/2 months shopping for a Toyota highlander or 4 Runner. She finally found a deal on a 2009 and bought it. We told my son to drive his Lexus home at Christmas so he could drive the Avalon home. He didn't *, saying he was happy with his Lexus and my wife couldn't convince him to upgrade. He's frugal like that. But, I wouldn't give up my Toyota T-100 pick up either.

Mikek

  • rode home with his sister. Again, being frugal.
Reply to
amdx

Plenty of data showing 50% of Americans could not come up with $1,000 if they had an emergency.

Funny how a family make $60,000 is living paycheck to paycheck, but another one making $49,000 is saving money.

My first year of marriage we earned $18,000 and saved $6,000, but that was 36 years ago, LOL. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

If it is a right, why not extend that to the rest of the world. What's so special about Americans, let's take care of everyone. Those damn rich people can afford it! /s/

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

So long as you're willing to personally shoot the proverbial starving man for the crime of stealing a loaf of bread he didn't earn. It's not so much that there isn't a certain fairness in that position, it's just that it seems a lot of folks who share your attitude wouldn't just prefer government non-intervention, but would prefer government to pull the trigger for them. Which is dishonest.

Reply to
bitrex

Yes, precisely.

Reply to
bitrex

If America is to be great, then its people must be great. That is to say if you ask Joe Public of any other country what their impression of America is, if America is great then the reply should be nearly uniformly "America? What a great people! What a great country!" If that's not the case (and at the moment it doesn't seem to be) then America is, by definition, non-great.

You can't self-define yourself to be "great" any more than you can wake up one morning and decide you're a movie star or pro athlete. It's totally dependent on the impression of others.

"Greatness" doesn't happen via politics. You can't really make a country "great" via the way you vote, or what or who you vote for, Obama or Trump or anyone it hardly matters.

Reply to
bitrex

The basic medical care gets paid for by the citizens who benefit from it, a nd all the other citizens in the same country, or at least those with enoug h money to pay taxes (which is most of them). The cost of medical care run that way is less than American health care - about half the price in the UK , where it is a bit Spartan, and about two thirds of the price in places li ke France, Germany and the Netherlands, where it isn't.

When the tax system is progressive, the rich do pay more, but they don't pa y most of the cost, or anything like it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Typical leftist answer. Either the government steals for people or they'll steal for themselves. You are one little piece of shit, ShortBit.

Reply to
krw

Of course it's not a right. A "right" is something that exists because you exist (speech, life, religion, etc.). It's not something that requires anyone else to do anything. Rights come from nature, not other people. What you're saying by making health care a "right" is that others are forced to give up their "rights" for your "rights".

Change "right" to "entitlement" above, and you're closer to being correct.

Reply to
krw