OT: HDMI Wireless

Anyone have experience/recommendations for wireless ways to distribute HDMI to multiple TV sets? ...Jim Thompson

I haven't tried it yet, but many newer sets have WiDi which is HDMI over WiFi. It may require Windows 8. I think my laptop has it, but I don't have a TV, so I haven't tried it. I'm going to a friend's house today, maybe I'll try it there.

--

Rick
Reply to

I would buy a single HTPC "Home Theater PC" for each display, then, they could all each have their own individually controlled/chosen stream. Use a wifi router with an NAS attached or a wifi NAS.

Then, you can also "fill up" the NAS "multimedia server" from any of various sources as well.

The Single PCs could be an ARM processed machine running Android and KODI, or Debian and KODI or "OpenELEC and KODI. KODI is a home theater interface app. It used to be XBMC. It will run under Windows, but Windows costs money and reduces security.

The rooted Android version is a common route. Indestructible on ARM devices, for the most part.

These are nice:

Or at about $300 each, you could get a real, intel based PC at each location, such as:

Black/dp/B00CO2Z854

Way more expensive per display, but far more versatile. They are each a PC at that point, and you can use them for room appliance control, etc. They usually come with Windows, as you can tell from the price.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Look at the IOGEAR GW3DHDKIT. I have not tried it yet but giving it serious consideration.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

That allows you to pipe one single HDMI source only stream over a proprietary wireless link to one receiver. Additional receivers are nearly $200 each too. Not very flexible.

My idea uses standard industry networking technology (wifi) and each node is as cheap as $135.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The Rpi sucks at full HD streaming playback, however.

There are severeal other subpar elements of that OLD design as well.

And the cubox does it at less than 5 watts fully pushed.

Ooops.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

No. But I have been thinking the same thing. We used to be able to get a ch3/ch4 modulator for analog TV (stereo audio and composite or s-video). I wish there was an HDMI in and a Digital TV out, such that any TV tuner cou ld receive it. (It could be radiated---FCC might have a hissy fit---or put on existing house cable.) Basically, I wish there was a modern analog to old analog.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

a ch3/ch4 modulator for analog TV (stereo audio and composite or s-video). I wish there was an HDMI in and a Digital TV out, such that any TV tuner c ould receive it. (It could be radiated---FCC might have a hissy fit---or p ut on existing house cable.) Basically, I wish there was a modern analog t o old analog.

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Channel 3 - 4 modulation?

Guys... 480 line signals are so last century! Oh and if you can replicate a modern HD transmission signal, you can receive it directly on many newer TVs.

Of course there are HDMI wireless repeaters. But why go that route?

That still locks you down to the one stream you are feeding.

You should make each display its own computer network node and stream any data over the already established standard wifi network routing, and decode and display local to each display location.

Then, different selections can be on each display at the same time.

Alternately, most modern displays have USB interfaces for memory sticks on them. You could pipe the data into a memory stick and hand insert it in the display, and then have even more certainty of glitch free operation.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

ie:

What? Who is asking for that?

Maybe the channel frequencies (allocations) and BWs have changed since DTV, but that is not really the point.

That is the idea.

  1. It is standard: can be received by any modern TV
  2. "free" bandwidth---does not burden the WiFi

So what? The idea is a cheap modulator, like they were in the good old day s. I only have a max of 2 private streams anyway. These modulators were so cheap they were built into VCRs. I mean, even stand alone they were less than $20 each, and one could get more TX channels than just the ch3/ch4 cho ice for a small bit more money.

I get your point, and understand the flexibility it offers. But the WiFi i s used for streaming already---only not for a couple SAT/DVR receiver outpu ts. So if the modulator was present, I could multiplex it back onto the sa me cable that delivered the SAT. (Or, I could scofflaw a radiation of it, and avoid the cable.) Then, WiFi bandwidth would not be consumed, but a st andardized type of transmission would be maintained.

But it gets me thinking. Can modern SAT/DVR connect to the LAN/WLAN as a * source*? Then, can the "receiver" end---such as a Roku or equivalent---then receive this private stream? (By private, I just mean it is not Netflix/A mazon/Hulu etc., but a private choice on the input menu/list.)

I am so out of it. I haven't been keeping up what is available for years a nd years. The computer node thing is still too expensive, imo. (The very interesting modulator Lasse linked is also too expensive.)

n.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie
:

t a ch3/ch4 modulator for analog TV (stereo audio and composite or s-video) . I wish there was an HDMI in and a Digital TV out, such that any TV tuner could receive it. (It could be radiated---FCC might have a hissy fit---or put on existing house cable.) Basically, I wish there was a modern analog to old analog.

Very interesting. Thank you.

Hopefully the prices come down over time.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

Have you tried it yet? ...Jim Thompson

Not yet. One of those "round tuit" things. I'm not looking for 4K quality. The reviews were good. I need something that will go across the house through a couple of walls. Minimal setup. I could do the network/pc thing but that is my day job, other things I want to do when I'm off the clock.

I really need to push this project up higher on the todo list.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

It CAN do 4k. It ALSO does the rest good, like std HD array sizes.

You day job?

It takes 5 minute admin sessions, once a month, after your initial set up and installations.

You must take hours to do 5 minute jobs?

Sounds like an excuse to retain the wine glass in your left hand. :-)

IOW, it is no chore at all, and if it is for yo at work, that is likely not your best position either.

I suspect what you meant is that you also had to put together your business network, but the work you do is engineering. If you are spending inordinate amounts of time getting and keeping thing up at work, you should probably get a pro to help for a session or two.

Home networks are easy. And robust. And that makes it hard to believe that you would opt for the solution all the rich big house folks up the shore get installed.

Look into KODI as a media entertainment system front end. You would not be dissapointed.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 12:38:51 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio Gave us:

Yes but rpi does NOT do 1080 HDMI very good... if at all.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

If you don't mind stringing cable, these are a far better deal then trying to get 5 Ghz RF thru walls:

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

My problem is outside walls foamed to the hilt with insulation.

There are already coax there. Are there HDMI-over-coax converters that perform well? ...Jim Thompson