OT: Guns in Space

snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com:

four to forty % is a pretty wide range.....

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Let's see. Off the top of my head, a WWII Iowa class shell had a muzzle velocity of, um, 820M/S or about 7% of escape velocity. Not bad for sixty years ago. Hmm, let's see...

The WWII Paris gun had a muzzle velocity of 1600M/S or about 14% of the escape velocity. Another sixty year old example of something that cannot exist.

I didn't even have to dig up an example of a light gas gun, to get to Phil's 10%. Oh, here's one at 50%:

Yep! Isn't it so great there are some people who know everything? We have two of the best examples right here in this NG.

--
  Keith
Reply to

The neutrons and gammas would fry any electronics from even greater distance than the thermal damage range.

Exactly.

John

Maybe they're avoiding saying how to duplicate it. I suspect it's usually close to one specific figure that is somewhere in this range.

Don Klipstein

Both you and MiniThong are math phobic, so project your inadequacy as anger towards those who aren't, which turns out to be most people who post here. That explains your rants and curses against almost everybody, snarling like junkyard dogs. MP seems to have gone off the deep end the last couple of days, raging uncontrolled.

You should both just check into a remedial math course at a community college and get over it. Most engineering is just 4-function calculator stuff, with the occasional square root, nothing to be afraid of.

John

This ref

claims 1000 km. That would clean out a lot of sky!

The nuclear-explosion-pumped xray laser was interesting, too.

John

John

Because he's afraid of the physics. He really shouldn't be.

John

No, I don't remember the MSDS.

I believe it, just am kinda surprised is all.

--
  Keith
Reply to

It's a parabola only if the earth is flat. Some people must still believe that.

John

No, just like Iran and North Korea, they want to be able to defend themselves when whatever lunatic is in power in the US at the time decides to go on another crusade.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Yeah, it will EMP a whole pile of other sats as well, won't it.

Not exactly a precision device.

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Will EMP affect an isolated device (no long attached wires) already shielded against cosmic and solar radiation?

Reply to
Richard Henry

Those radiations are more particle than wave (on a practical scale I mean!). EMP is a radio spectrum thing and tends to find its way up any openings or wires (solar panels, antennas, etc.) and fry the electronics inside.

Tim

Tim Williams

"Paul Hovnanian P.E."

** Because extreme pedantry is the real issue.

Fuckhead.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"John Larkin"

** Pedantry is evidence of a mental defect.

Which the Larkin autistic has in spades.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

[snip]

In this case, no its not. If you were discussing the trajectory of short range artillery, then nit-picking over the difference between an ellipse and parabola would be. But when discussing orbital mechanics, the difference (a it relates to escape velocities) is significant.

Well, that'll win a technical argument every time.

If the first attempt at making a drawing board had been a failure,
what would they go back to?
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

innews: snipped-for-privacy@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

Yes, I know that, but it's not predictable. While the Chinese like to think in the long term they do not ignore such relatively short- term inconveniences.

Why does any nation skew the guns/butter equation that way?

Nonsense; they plan on being able to _if necessary_. Study the Chinese and you'll see that they are not habittually confrontational.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

" snipped-for-privacy@bid.nes" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

NOT nonsense,their Generals have made statements about it.

And it would be negligent to act as if they "are not habittually confrontational". Theirs is not a free,democratic society where the gov't is controlled by the citizenry. It's just another thugocracy.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

innews: snipped-for-privacy@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Everybody rattles sabers but it has to be believable. Hence their war materiel buildup.

I am under no illusions to the contrary; did you think I was an apologist for them?

See, they (the thugocrats) already _know_ the USA is crazy enough to play the MAD game; we proved it with the USSR. They don't want to get into a total nuclear exchange any more than the USSR's Politburo did because they know damn well they'd die along with the mass of the Chinese population.

That's why all this saber-rattling and so on is misdirection; their real battlefield is in stock and monetary exchanges. Haven't you been watching the news about who owns how much of the USA's foreign debt?

They don't plan to kill us, they anticipate us paying them rent.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Some years ago, when Japan was buying a bunch of prime real estate, I saw an American Indian stand-up comic talking about that (the Japanese buying so much land and factories and stuff), and he said, "Hell, at least they're _paying_ for it!" ;-)

Cheers! Rich