OT: Global cooling 34 million years ago

Martin van Calmhout - a formidable Dutch science journalist - reviewed this article in Science in yesterday's Volkskrant. One of the authors - Henk Brinkhuis - is a professor at Utrecht.

It talks about a 5C drop in global temperature over 100,000 years some

34 million years ago during the Eocene-Oligocene Climate Transition.

The paper is based a new technique for recovering paleolthic temperatures, by measuring the the relative concentrations of particular organic chemicals in the cell wall of single cell fossils, which allowed the authors to clarify what what actually going on during the transition, when the Antartic ice-sheet seems to have made its appearance

The authors can't come up with an explanation for why it happened as fast as it did. Explanations for the transition do exist, but they seem to envisage a slower cooling.

No doubt the denialists will blame the sun, as usual.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Five inches of snow in Alabama, in March!

And Hansen's global warming civil disobedience protest in DC will probably be snowed-in.

It's cold and rainy here, ideal to refill the reservoirs and put some more base on the ski slopes.

A 7-foot base is OK, but the more the better.

John

Slowman is so senile he thinks his opinions supersede all others.

...Jim Thompson

       How severe can senility be?  Just check out Slowman.

I suspect he was always that way. That's why he has such a lifetime history of being involved in failed projects. Global Warming Hysteria is just his latest failed project.

John

Yep. It's snowing here, about 100mi SW of Atlanta, now. My wife is "pissed" at me (said it didn't snow here, before we moved). She didn't much like the "watch for ice on bridges" signs on the way down, either. ;-) Though she grew up in Houston, she had enough snow (and leftist weenies) for a lifetime when we lived in VT.

Reply to
krw

Sounds like a great woman.

John

Leftist weenies do believe the world revolves around them.

Reply to
krw

In , John Larkin said in part:

This is only a little unusual, actually - a once per decade or two event for Birmingham. Birmingham receoved 10 inches of snow on March 12-13 1993.

I just checked Accu-Weather's website, predicting 3-6 inches of snow in Washington DC. Washington DC appears to me to get a March snowstorm like that every few years.

They received 13 inches on March 13, 1993, 12 inches on March 29-30

1942, 12 inches on March 27-28 1891, and 5 inches on April 1 1924.

The latest snowfall in Washington DC is:

"Trace on May 10, 1906; .5 inches on Apr. 28, 1898"

according to:

Don Klipstein

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Thanks to GW were looking at upto 14" of the white stuff.

Martin Riddle

When's the next ice age due?

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Sierra snowfall is well below average this winter.

Richard Henry

As if a 14 inch (or bigger) snowstorm is not something to hit NYC on average once or twice a decade or so.

Heck, NYC got 2 snowstorms at least that big about 4 weeks apart in early 1978!

Don Klipstein

If not for AGW, good chance within a few millennia. We have probably already averted it and then some.

If not for AGW, a century or two from now could easily repeat the "Little Ice Age" of 2-3 centuries or so ago, with noticeable downturn in first half of 22nd century appearing likely on basis of MAO and longer term sunspot cycles. Should we set new global surface and/or lower troposphere temperature highs at those times when we should be repeating "little ice age" as a harbinger of "next real ice age", then we end up being shown that AGW is for real and that we have given ourselves warming that will probably persist through the next several millennia and probably be reinforced to multi-mega-year highs by the time the "should-be-coming next ice age glaciation" would end maybe 90,000 or so years from now.

Don Klipstein

Which might kill a billion people and wipe out a good chunk of a million species.

And the plants love the CO2 we're feeding them.

John

We try not to mess up the planet with pollution but mother nature intends on freezing our asses off anyways.. A reset button?

But an asteroid strike might make all our pollution and garbage seem insignificant.

Digging up plastic bags during a nuclear winter might be a wonderful thing.

btw Earth's magnetic field is declining.

"Indeed projecting this forward in time would suggest zero dipole moment in about 1500-1600 years time. "

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Ah the Blizzard of 78. It was 2 storms 2 days apart. A stalled front. About 3ft of snow fell. There were mounds of snow on every corner. and it stayed cold for pretty much all of Feburary, which meant the snow stayed on the roads for weeks.

Then there was the Ice storm in 79 or 80 that made a big mess for what was then LILCO.

Martin Riddle
34,000,000 years ago? That's 12,420,000,000 days ago! I can't get the local weathermen to agree on what the temperature was---yesterday. Mike Is your point that the climate changes? duh.

Reply to
amdx

...Jim Thompson

       How severe can senility be?  Just check out Slowman.

Funny:

John

Maybe it's just warmer than normal somewhere else..

I wonder if all the crap that volcanos pump out compete with the effects of gas and dust from people.

Seems like there are 21 active volcanos.

" Large, explosive volcanic eruptions inject water vapor (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), sulfur dioxide (SO2), hydrogen chloride (HCl), hydrogen fluoride (HF) and ash (pulverized rock and pumice) into the stratosphere to heights of 16?32 kilometres (10?20 mi) above the Earth's surface. The most significant impacts from these injections come from the conversion of sulfur dioxide to sulfuric acid (H2SO4), which condenses rapidly in the stratosphere to form fine sulfate aerosols. The aerosols increase the Earth's albedo?its reflection of radiation from the Sun back into space - and thus cool the Earth's lower atmosphere or troposphere; however, they also absorb heat radiated up from the Earth, thereby warming the stratosphere. "