OT: Gasket material (fiber)

Hello Folks,

Ok, this is very OT although I have used it for really tough air cooling in electronics. This time its an exhaust blower. The problem:

Gaskets cost an arm and a leg. It just irks me to shell out >>$50 for something I used to make myself for $1 and in five minutes. It's those fluffy gaskets, white fiber stuff, very heat tolerant, about 1/8" thick but compresses to almost zilch if needed. I bought the sheets a long time ago at an autoparts store, probably Napa, but recently ran out. Went there and to some others today, they didn't have the foggiest idea what I meant. Went through their catalog, zip. Called HQ, zip. Checked McMaster and a few others, zip. Where can I get this stuff?

Meantime if anyone wants to become filthy rich it seems that besides dentists and lawyers there is another lucrative profession: Gasket maker.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Take a look at Mcmaster-carr. I saw a couple pages of gasket material the last time I was browsing the catalog.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

This stuff?

JeffM

Asbestos coverup?

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

No, those weren't asbestos. Looks like a very dense fiber glass mesh.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I did before posting. Nada :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Aha! Looks a bit too rigid but this is definitely a company I can contact about it. Thanks!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It might be too crappy of an idea but ... What if you took glass mesh (the stuff hardware stores carry for autobody work and boat repairs) and soaked it with a thinned out mix of heat cure gasket compound..or silicone?

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Sounds like some stuff they use in ductwork, like a seal between a furnace and an air plenum.

Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies. -- Kermit the Frog
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Silicone might work, must remain pliable. But I was told in such a store that their fibers can't tolerate exhaust level temperatures.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That is often not tolerant WRT exhaust heat temps and also comes in huge thick mats. I guess I just have to swallow hard and pay those 1000% or whatever markup prices :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to