Brown material used in hybrids

Hi, in this NASA workshop handout on hermeticity testing there are a number of photos of semiconductors and some SMPS-looking hybrids. I'm wondering what the material is that they've used to tack down fly wires and such like. Is it a special epoxy or some kind of flexible silicone or something else entirely?

(pages 19, 22, 25, 28, 30)

Thanks for any info

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Mar 2015 11:55:22 -0400) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

Looks like some rubber.

I 'sealed' a 'super sealed lead acid battery' yesterday with araldite. it was blowing bubbles next to the - (lead) connector). Araldite:

2 component, needs about 24 hours to harden, it is NOT flexible after that, So far it seems to seal great. Used it for all sort of things.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Den torsdag den 19. marts 2015 kl. 16.52.40 UTC+1 skrev Spehro Pefhany:

looks a bit like the stuff used to glue components

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Sure looks like red glyptal to me.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Maybe epoxy. Epoxy would be less outgassey.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yup, I agree, it is glyptal. Haven't seen this stuff in years, but I guess NASA is smart to stay with time-tested stuff that is known to work!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

It does but there is one picture where it was attached to a cover, so I,m guessing some type of silicone, maybe Sylgard.

Martin Riddle

I agree, red glyptal, an alkyd enamel insulating compound. Only for light duty tacking e.g. trimpot adjustment setting. For staking heavier components I think NASA specify two part expoxies.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Interesting.

There's no specific listing for glyptal in the outgassing report (or anything that, at a quick glance, looks similar in the relevant section). Oh, well, was just curious. I don't think I've seen this stuff in a hybrid before. The stuff used to hold parts down is usually more red in color.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Well, that was some pretty old technology. But, it could have been updated. That is essentially what they are doing now, the Orion is basically an Apollo capsule brought up to date.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

One of the many examples of Robert S. McNamara's arrogance was his insisting that all copies of the plans for the Saturn V be destroyed, so they could never make another one.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Actually that seems to be Bad Info. McNamara was still an arrogant ass, but he wasn't guilty of that particular example.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We can't buy a set from the Russians?

Reply to
Tom Miller

The Saturn 5 plans are in storage at the Marshall Space Flight Center.