OT: G-20

For you not to even be keeping up is a huge tell. You ain't all that bright, boy.

Reply to
AM

Idiot. That was the term that THEY (the brit scientists)came up with for the effect *as* they dismissed further research into it.

That is not what "everybody else called it" because the term never existed before or since. There was no "everybody else".

It is commonly known today as "radio transmission", and "radio reception".

Reply to
AM

You sure found my 'flashlight' handy last night, Pookie. Sure put a beam on your face, didn't it?

mike

Reply to
m II

This may be of interest:

==================================== The first person who succeeded in transmitting through air was apparently Dr. Mahlon Loomis, a dentist. At the close of the Civil War in 1865, he flew two kites, carrying wires, from mountain tops

14-miles (23-km) apart. The wire from one kite was attached to ground through a telegraph key; the other kite-wire was grounded through a galvanometer that could measure very small currents. When he operated the key, detectable changes of current occurred in the other kite wire. He was granted a patent on his system in 1872, but no known attempt was made to make use of the phenomenon commercially. Interestingly, the experiment was duplicated 44 years later in London where, during a hailstorm, experimenters successfully communicated over a distance of 3-miles (5-km)

=======================================

Then there is the matter of the Courts overturning Marconi's patents and awarding them to Tesla. That was sometime in the 1940s

mike

Reply to
m II

Those patent lawsuits were filed in 1915.

Marconi bought the Edison patents to keep Edison from starting any legal issues with him.

There were actually a minimum of three "radio" patents in place at the time. Telsa, Marconi, nor Edison were the first to get a patent either.

Bell did not invent the telephone either. Meucci did.

Reply to
AM

We've had about 6:1 inflation since 1970, and people still want dollars. The longterm value of the euro is in doubt; it hasn't done all that well lately.

Another 2:1 or maybe 3:1 would be enough to solve the government's debt problems.

Actually, only amateurs use physical money. "Real" money, the kind governments use, is just bits on hard drives. It's almost just an attitude.

John

Wrong in all cases. They were all Americans, by choice. We are a country of immigrants, after all. People come here to invent things, because it's a good place to invent things. And because their home countries would have stuffed them into ovens.

The US is a great place to design electronics, too.

John

1915? Perhaps, but the wheels of justice turn slowly.

================================= Nikola Tesla is now credited with being the first person to patent radio technology; the Supreme Court overturned Marconi's patent in

1943 in favor of Tesla.

=================================

Yes, But Tesla had done his demonstrations of a radio controlled boat two years before Edison patented anything.

================================== Let's not forget Reginald Fessenden. Some claim he did more for radio than anybody.

==================================

That's weird. I noticed that just a few weeks ago. He didn't have the ten or twenty dollars needed to renew his registration (or something). Had he been able to pay, neither Bell or the other guy could have filed a patent. There seems to be some evidence that Bell's application was a bit on the suspicious side.

mike

Reply to
m II

th

The fact remains that whatever David E.Hughes discovered in 1878 didn't lead to radio as we now know it. James Clark Maxwell gets the credit for the theory, Heinrich Hertz gets the credit for the experimental verification of Maxwell's theory, and Marconi gets the credit for developing a system that was good enough to justify commercial exploitation. None of them was American.

The American Lee de Forest certainly played a large part in the subsequent development

but this scarcely justifies John Larkin's claim that America invented radio.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

And you would?

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I do not think that you are aware of the event history, which clearly shows that Meucci invented the concept and the first units and even used his years before Bell stole (failed to return)his prototypes and based his subsequent designs on them.

That was long before the company that employed Bell had Meucci murdered along with any other casualties, by blowing up the boiler in the Westfield Ferry he was on. It didn't kill him at that moment, but he soon died from sickness after never recovering from the explosion.

Anyway, there are conflicting claims as to the exact chain of events, depending on whom one asks, as far as the patent activity goes (and the ferry 'job').

As far as chronology, he was definitely the guy that did it first.

Reply to
AM

Sure it did. Magnetic wave propagation and remote reception. The very essence of the technology. Yes, this fact remains. Hughes was the discoverer just as we give Ben Franklin credit for his kite night.

Give it up, Sloman.

Reply to
AM

Ditzy jerk alert.

Reply to
Bart!

Sorry, US hating asshole, but radio was not in the list that Larkin posted.

Got a quote or a post reference ID?

Reply to
AM

I know a lot about destructive and non-destructive electrical and mechanical stress tests and evaluation procedures.

I also know a lot about the timeline and progress of this particular Boeing design.

I also know a lot about the sequence of events that occur in a new aircraft design approval process.

I also have a bit of experience with and knowledge of carbon fiber composite components.

And a bit of wind tunnel experience.

So yes, I would know.

Reply to
AM

But you'd make that claim if you involvement hadn't gone beyond sweeping the floors at some some sub-contractor that once supplied stuff for Boeing. Your enthusiasm for championing American inventors of stuff that isn't usually thought to have been invented by Americans reveals that you don't have much in the way of judgement or common sense.

Pity about that.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Bill Sloman

Be right there, honey..

mike

Reply to
m II

en

ld

ould

They were al Americans, by second choice. Political refugees don't have a lot of choice.

ngs,

But the crucial discoveries that made it clear that the nuclear reactor - and the atom bomb - practical propositions were made in Europe. America may have developed the nuclear reactor and the atom bomb, but it can't claim the credit for inventing them.

The existence of Heisenberg's atom bobm development group in Nazi Germany makes it perfectly clear that the "invention" was known to those skilled in the art before the US atom program got under way, and the crucial inventive step took place in europe and was made by europeans.

That was an excellent motivation for encouraging the US to get on with the development.

But so are Japan and the Netherlands - as Philips and Sony have proved over the years. Germany isn't bad either, and in the U.K. the EMI Central Research phased array ultra-sound scanner was rather better the machine Hewlett-Packard put together, though both were based on the same work by the Dutchman J.C.Somer, first reported in 1968.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

e very

You may think so, but the rest of the world gives the credit to James Clark Maxwell, Henrik Herz and Marconi. Hughes' work was ignored and forgotten. Never having seen what he actually published, I can't hazard a guess as to why it was less than persuasive.

And accept your idea of what constitutes reality?

-- Bill Sloman. Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

he