OT: Flatbed scanner speeds

Thanks. I'm in a remote part of India where choices are limited and things are more expensive than in places like the US. I'm being offered one for about US $90 shipped including the ADF. Do you think it's worth it, assuming that it's in tip-top condition?

Reply to
Pimpom

The HP5300C and HP6300C series were nice scanners. The OCR even worked acceptably on a good day. But check the availability for your choice of operating system before buying it. ISTR that there was never any driver support after WinXP. So it won't install properly on Vista or Win7. The only gotcha that I recall with it was that it does not handle suspend mode well and tends to require power cycling to regain USB comms.

I now use a Canon LiDE 700F which is a lot faster to scan and copy but the driver is a bit quirky I think the supplied OCR software with it is total junk. YMMV

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Thanks for the input. It's true that HP don't have drivers later than for XP, but as I said near the beginning of this thread, some owners report that they can use the XP drivers for Win 7.

The Canon 700F looks nice and I've heard good things about it. Given the 10-year generation gap, I'm sure it's more advanced than the HP 6300c in some ways. But a new one - without an ADF - costs 2.5 times what I'm offered for the 6300c with an ADF.

My scanning needs are light and I'm therefore price-conscious. I'm really trying to decide between the 6300C and current entry-level models like the Plustek 2600 and the Canon Lide 110, both of which are priced somewhat lower than the used 6300c.

Reply to
Pimpom