OT: Fireworks

Just a reminder that the possession or use of fireworks in the state of Massachusetts is illegal without an appropriate license:

bitrex

Fun.

About an hour ago my office was shook by a long series of explosions, rockets launched from about 1/4 mile away in San Francisco. I went on the roof and it was wild. Rockets went straight up maybe 300 feet and exploded big-time. This went on for about 1/2 hour. Dozens of car alarms went off from the shock.

U fake

Reply to
bitrex

Like everything else, you seen the prices lately? In the Northeast just a few shoebox fulls probably costs $3-500. They sound like dedicated celebrators

But the MA law definitely tends to fall under "Can't Enforce" territory as there are dozens of shops just across the state line into NH "Live Free Or Die"* *some restrictions may apply, consult the fine print

But MA laws on other stuff (like marijuana) are much more relaxed, so going across the border northbound there are signs for ye olde gun and firework shoppes, and southbound they say something like "Have you tried cannabis today?"

Reply to
bitrex

[...] Yeah ... it's much easier to get gun license and shoot it. Not the same, but better than sparklers!
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Here amateur fireworks are banned in the city but are legal in the county. The city/county line is quite irregular due to patchwork annexations but this time of year you can always tell where the line is

-- the firework stands set up on the county side.

We're very relaxed about firearms, fireworks, marijuana and so forth.

NYS had rather strict laws against fireworks. I managed to get arrested in my hometown, a village of about 2000, by a cop with whom I went to grade school. My brother-in-law, a silver tongued legend in his own mind, facilitated the matter. Jimmy, the cop, as he cuffed my to another friend, said 'I hate to do this but if we arrest that asshole we have to arrest all of you.'

I actually did have an explosives permit to purchase black powder but it didn't cover fireworks.

I left NYS in '71 and the way it's going I sure as hell am never going back.

Reply to
rbowman

Newport RI police say, take your stinking tourist dollars elsewhere:

bitrex

That why people get them in New Hampshire.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Yep, the state line fireworks stores bilk 'em good, too, the prices are nuts now:

The punishment for possession in MA is pretty mild though, like a $100 flat fine & seizure of items per offense (note: all flat-fine punishment statues mean it's meant to apply to the poor only, God bless America, land of the free*) *Freedom may entail extra charges, check your local listings for details

IDK if it's the same now but in Maryland I believe it was, there was a $200 fine for transporting cigarettes in from Virginia without paying MD taxes on it.

$200..per carton! Sucked for my friend's father who one day somehow got nabbed carrying 40 cartons. That's how you know the state is really ripshit at you for "stealing" from them.

Reply to
bitrex

How stupid is Troll Doe?

Troll Doe posting one of its vacuous insults at 05:39:20 UTC on 20 Mar

2022 with a grammatical error:

Then, at 05:55:56 UTC, 16 minutes and 36 seconds later, Troll Doe responds to its own post with a correction, but stupidly forgets that it sets a Followup-To: header to the "alt.test.group", resulting in its correction article posting only to "alt.test.group":

Troll Doe, mister " snipped-for-privacy@message.header", is so stupid it does not even remember it sets a Followup-To: header in its own vacuous insults.

Special thanks to corvid snipped-for-privacy@ckb.ird for pointing out the stupidity of Troll Doe:

The Troll Doe stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless Troll Doe has continued to post incorrectly formatted USENET articles that are devoid of content (latest example on Tue, 05 Jul 2022 03:52:52 GMT in message-id <oAOwK.270218$ snipped-for-privacy@usenetxs.com).

NOBODY likes the John Doe troll's contentless spam.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that John Dope does not even follow the rules it uses to troll other posters.

UJU0epNq4pOB

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

It's illegal here too.

jlarkin

This is a strange firework, I thought it was a signal flare at first but flares don't usually burst AFAIK. Looks like it's designed to look like some kind of two-stage missile:

bitrex

Troll Doe stated the following in message-id <svsh05$lbh$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me

posted Fri, 4 Mar 2022

08:01:09 -0000 (UTC):

Yet, since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) Troll Doe's post ratio to USENET (**) has been 67.5% of its posts contributing "nothing except insults" to USENET.

** Since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) Troll Doe has posted at least 2592 articles to USENET. Of which 176 have been pure insults and 1574 have been Troll Doe "troll format" postings.

The Troll Doe stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the Troll Doe stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless Troll Doe has continued to post incorrectly formatted USENET articles that are devoid of content (latest example on Tue, 5 Jul 2022 22:49:41 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <ta2f65$3qkgi$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me).

NOBODY likes the John Doe troll's contentless spam.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that John Dope does not even follow the rules it uses to troll other posters.

PWFcsYRRX2us

Reply to
Edward Hernandez