OT: EPP problems

Go to the store, go directly to the store, do not pass go, well, collect $200.00 if you can, and get some 75% or better isopropyl alcohol, and get that WD-40 cleaned out of there. WD-40 turns to Cosmolene.[1]

After you've cleaned it up, get some sewing machine oil or good ol'

3-in-1, light machine oil.

WD-40 is for door hinges and squeaky ball joints. Vaseline is for bike wheel bearings. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich [1] Cosmolene: Heavy, gooey, tenacious grease used to pack military parts for indefinite storage.

Reply to
Rich Grise

Maybe hang it from a bungee cord?

Reply to
Robert Baer

The only modification that could easily be done is to add circuitry to short a winding when it is not being driven. Anything else would take major surgery on the PCB (made in the late

70's). And changing the stepper motor creates a mechanical alignment nightmare that i rather not tackle (not to mention putting the sprocket ring on the new shaft, which would require special keying that i cannot do).
Reply to
Robert Baer

Please be reasonable. Part of it seems to be OK within their Copyright, but all would take a loooong time and totally violate their copyright.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Not "indefinite" storage..it is *definitely* used for storage "forever". Thanks for the heads-up on the WD-40.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I tried to spray-clean an old model 13 (60 mA, 60 WPM) teletype with WD-40 once. BAD MISTAKE! I spend the next two weeks disassembling the unit, cleaning the parts, and reassembling it. It kachunked pretty good for awhile, until the solvent in the WD-40 evaporated. ;-)

It was pretty fascinating, however, seeing how its mechanical serializer and deserializer worked. :-)

And I learned that to lube something that intricate, powdered graphite is probably the best.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Ach, copyright. Today, the boss had me print out a couple of drawings and about a half-dozen process specs for an RFQ. One of the specs was "Soldered Electric and Electronic Assemblies", SIXTY-FIVE PAGES, and I can't share it, because every page has, "####/###-ontrolled Information -Do not export or release to the public without ### approval." )-;

Note: "###" means I've redacted the quote. It's acronyms for the customer's company and departments.

And it's way cool - I suppose I could ask the customer if they'd let me put it on my website, or if they'd make it public, because it's just a spec, but they did spend a lot of time and money producing the thing.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

oooooh, noooo - that'd only add bounce ;-)

Reply to
budgie

Maybe it would bounce a *step* at a time...

Reply to
Robert Baer