OT: e-mail security

From an investment newsletter:

I've tested all kinds of things that claim to help you retain control of your privacy online. The results, quite frankly, were generally terrible. Most programs resulted in an unacceptably poor Internet experience... and not much certainty I was doing things a whole lot safer than I was before.

A few things have performed admirably, and I am using them now.

First, I've switched my free e-mail provider.

I have switched out of Yahoo and Google over to Hushmail, a privacy-focused e-mail provider based in Canada. The benefit here is U.S. authorities can't cite the Patriot Act and get whatever they want... They need to be granted a Canadian court order. While you may choose a different provider, Hushmail does everything I need it to do. But nothing is air-tight...

Even Hushmail was raided by U.S. authorities a couple years ago... Officials were looking for information about three criminals.

Hushmail's CEO explained the company's position: "Hushmail is useful for avoiding general Carnivore-type government surveillance, and protecting your data from hackers, but definitely not suitable for protecting your data if you are engaging in illegal activity that could result in a Canadian court order."

Reply to
Robert Baer

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Choose your jurisdiction. If you're into stuff that Western governments might disapprove of, go to Chinese or Russian providers.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Why would any normal person be concerned about some government agency snooping their email? I suspect that most or all international emails

*are* snooped, by multiple countries, so going through Canada probably increases the probability that some robot will archive and check your mail for suspicious keywords.

Hey, Robot, feel free; enjoy!

So don't do illegal things in your emails. Or quadruple-encrypt things if you do.

John

John Larkin Inscribed thus:

I don't know about your side of the pond but ISP's here are required to log all Internet activity.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Now *that* is a mean joke...