OT: Dynamic DNA structures and the formation of memory

Dynamic DNA structures and the formation of memory

An international collaborative research team has discovered that G-quadraplex DNA (G4-DNA) accumulates in neurons and dynamically controls the activation and repression of genes underlying long-term memory formation.

I have always though that memory could be stored as DNA sequenxes...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That's interesting, if extremely vague and unspecific.

As if you opinion on the subject were worth having.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

More likely RNA or some other protein.

The oft-mocked Lamarckian concept, of genetic learning (not just natural selection) is probably real, and some reverse transcription does happen, namely that DNA is edited within the life of one organism. But remembering where you left your glasses is probably handled at a lower level than editing your chromosones.

We do have short-term memory too. We don't want to junk up our chromosones remembering every grocery list.