OT: Does a stitch in time save nine?

I preferred Isaac Asimov's version.

-- Richard Heathfield "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Richard Heathfield

That would put it off topic for rec.puzzles.

Reply to
Bart Byers

Then there is the primary rule: "Do not attempt to fix that which is not broke."

Ed

n :-)

Reply to
ehsjr

"Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@doubleclick.net...

Well, since the limitations have run out I can reveal that this is all about how the English Navy went and stuffed those French, Italians and Spanish folks who were pretending to be proper sailors.

See, during stand down and practicing type stuff the rumour was passed about.

'A stitch in time saves nine.'

Which was perceived as being a maintenance maxim. You can't go splashing about on the high seas without having your sails in good working order for when it comes time to tub the shit out of some of those European pansies.

Anyway that lot had their spies about and picked up on the maxim, not that they would have thought about it themselves, lazy bunch of right handers, and thier poofy Officers thought they would be dead clever by copying the idea.

In the meantime the English Navy, under great secrecy, was just making the tenth stitch really strong....... ;-)

So, whilst all the nancy European sailors were getting really pissed off at their poofy officers making them crawl all over their sails making sure that they were not missing that stitch that would save them nine the English sailors were down the pub enjoying themselves.

It's not as if you had to aim straight in those days now, is it?

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Sigh! Of _course_ that's what it means.

Do you understand "metaphor?"

Reply to
BusyGuy

Yes yes YES! How true.

So...can we say "A stitch before time might be a waste of thread?"

Reply to
BusyGuy

Beat me to it.

Darn.

Reply to
BusyGuy

While we agree that this phenomenon is true (and damned useful) it is not encapsulated in the aphorism under consideration.

Reply to
BusyGuy

Something I often disagree with.

Someone else said it much better than I could, but I forget exactly how she said it. :-) But it went sonething like this

"The reasonable man accepts the world as it is; the unreasonable man always wants to change it. Therefore, all progress depends on unreasonable men."

Reply to
BusyGuy

Or, more euphoniously, "a stitch too soon is a waste of thread". Yes, I like that. Well done.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
http://www.cpax.org.uk
Richard Heathfield

Knot likely.

Phil

--
"Home taping is killing big business profits. We left this side blank
so you can help." -- Dead Kennedys, written upon the B-side of tapes of

I think that was Heinlein.

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian

It sounds more like George Bernard Shaw.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." ---- "Reason", George Bernard Shaw

That means I get the banana, the cigar, and the reconditioned 1952 Ford Buick carburettor.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
http://www.cpax.org.uk
Richard Heathfield

Niche in time saves stein.

(Can't remember what crime Stein had committed. Most likely something like murdering his own grandfather, who was the inventor of the time machine in the first place).

George

Reply to
George Weinberg

Perfect. I plan to use it.

Reply to
BusyGuy

What...no gold ring?

Reply to
BusyGuy

Richard Heathfield:

Spoiler....

35 34 33 32 31 30 29 28 27 26 25 24 23 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2

George Weinberg:

*A* niche in time saves Stein.

Naah, it was something ordinary, I think a bank robbery. The way the time machine came into it was that he jumped into the future in order to bypass the statute of limitations.

The story is "A Loint of Paw".

--
Mark Brader  |  "Must undefined behavior obey *all* the laws of physics,
msb@vex.net  |   or is the restriction limited to time travel?"

... snip ...

Which I assume is original equipment in your Studebaker.

--
 Some informative links:
Reply to

Can't join in. I no longer have my collection of F&SF.

--
 Some informative links:
Reply to

It's also the creepiest thing I've ever seen come out of "Disney".

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi