How to save electricity

Use dimmer control or rheostat / variable resistance to control brightness of table lamps. Use energy saving lamps like CFL (compact fluorescent lamp). When using computers, make use of power saving modes, turn off peripherals when they are not in use. Power saved is power produced. Visit

Arumugham

How much does that save? If we all set our lamps to 50% what would the power factor be? Would we be able to shut down a power station every

1/4 of a cycle?

CFL is crap. The use hazardous chemicals and we are told in the UK to treat them as hazardous waste and to call the council if we break one. A lot of them are so dim at power up that you have to leave them on the whole time. I bought some that take over 5 minutes to get up to half brightness.

I'm waiting for decent led lamps.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

And CFL lamps have typical power factor of 0.5. That is twice as much power has to be generated as you would expect from the lamps power rating.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

"Raveninghorde"

** Nonsense.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"MooseFET"

The power factor does not mean that extra power must be created. They draw lagging current..

** No they do NOT !!

CFL's current draw is in phase with the peaks of the AC supply voltage - just like nearly all rectifier / capacitor loads found in electronics.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Sylvia Else"

** Not been used for over 20 years.
** Totally false.

The PF of a CFL is neither leading nor lagging.

In common with the vast majority of electronic loads, the PF ( usually around 0.5) it is due to having a distorted current wave.

** Absolute bullshit it CANNOT and DOES NOT HAPPEN.

You have been reading that UTTER load of technical CRAP accompanying the new Australian Customs regulation - right?

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Where did it mention a distinction based on ballasts?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else