OT Does a microwave oven kill airborne germs?

On a sunny day (Thu, 24 Dec 2015 16:51:37 -0800 (PST)) it happened Bill Beaty wrote in :

That reminds me, once upon a time a long time ago I worked in a TV studio. In the control room there were many CRT monitors.

A colleague told me that one day while in the control room he heard a strange cracking sound, he was thirsty and felt the need to get some coffee. When he came back one of those (BW in those days) monitors had imploded, and the glass pieces were sticking in the steel studio door.. In my life I have replaced many a CRT, both BW and color [1]. Once I did try to implode one behind the barn at home. Put it on some stones, threw a wrench at it and at the same time hid around the corner. bang, never found all the pieces, most must have gone to some farmer land bordering the land.

Nevertheless those BW CRTs were in many homes.... for many years...

[1] protective measures were required, nobody used those. What we did sometimes if it was really defective, was break of the vacuum seal in the socket and let it fill with air. sometimes tubes were send for regeneration to get a new electron gun.

I think the sentence is 'There but for fortune go you and I'.

in the US bananas will soon be forbidden to be sold with peel, as the danger of slipping on one....

US is dead.

People will panic once they see a banana peel, or even a complete banana, they will go: bananas.

Remember lead? Do not look at it, it may kill you.

And as a result of that people will grow up first class dummies that do make all the mistakes that give them a Darwin award. Survival of the species will be because of shear reproduction numbers, but something is not right, or is that what we are observing?

IMNSHO it these days were people sink about peas maybe we need that WW3 to cut the dead wood. Those who make it are rad hardened, and must have some sort of insight that could even make them spread across the universe, and make human species prosper (Spock).

OTOH maybe the ants will prove to be the most durable species, and travel on some meteorite to the next planet, I have read mosquito larvae survived for weeks on the outside of the ISS.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Actually 1997 UNWISE MICROWAVE EXPERIMENTS guy.

The metal walls are nodes for e-field waves.

The "hot spot" antinodes are a quarter-wave away from the metal, 31mm away for 2.45GHz ovens in usa. Things won't cook if near the metal; they need to be lifted 1-1/4" off the conductive floor. And besides, the metal serve s as a large heatsink and stays fairly cold (except when the oven is empty, and in that case the metal acts as a significant absorber for the huge sta nding wave. Even the glass disk gets heated when the oven chamber is other wise unloaded.)

Essentially the metal surfaces are shorting out the e-field. The e-field c omponent provides the dielectric heating effect.

If EM is a plucked guitar-string, then the screws at the ends of the string are the cold spots, and the big vibrate-y parts in the middle have the max imum heating effect.

I haven't tried melting out the bottoms of cheap storage bowls using oil. Bet it works! Do up some microwave fried food, seasoned with boiling liqu id plastic. Mmmmm, polyethelene-y! In normal situation the bottom of the bowl ususally has some wet food, so it can't heat very far above 100C. T he upper edge gets the no-water oil-splatters.

Reply to
Bill Beaty

Not me. But I'm not a Marx / redistribution guy--that's too cynical--so that limits the choices presently.

In my Birkenstocks, no less. But mostly no, they're way over-priced.

Ye Olde Supermarket.

I've done that too. I've eaten in many a far corner (not to mention wilderness) of this world, and you have to learn to be flexible.

Cheers, James Arthur

P.S. I voted for Carter. (Yes, I was that foolish, that uneducated, once.)

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Nope, that's a very widespread misconception; another infectious physics-me me spread everywhere and nearly impossible to stamp out. Water is heated by broadband dielectric losses, not by narrowband resonant absorption. Th is is done intentionally. If we used 50GHz magnetrons, then all the watta ge would be absorbed by a thin outer layer of food, and we'd end up with co nventional cooking behavior. By operating far out on the absorption tail, RF penetrates deep into water, giving the "cooks inside" effect.

The strong resonant absorption for water is up around 20GHz, and rising muc h higher at boiling temperature. And it's not a narrow resonance (need ga s molecules for that, not bulk liquid.)

Don't forget that diathermy at 13.6MHz 27.1MHz etc. works just fine on wate r.

Main ref page is down, but here's Wayback:

net.co.uk/microwave.html

Reply to
Bill Beaty

The problem is that most never learn from their mistakes (so did I, twice).

Reply to
krw

None of this changes the fact that the energy is absorbed directly by the molecules. It does not require any particular size of the water droplet or capacitor plates.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:31:39 -0500, rickman Gave us:

Nope. The molecules heat because they are forced back and forth.

It is called hysteresis. They are not "absorbing energy". They are exhibiting heat from the friction during the hysteresis. It (microwave) is a form of induction heating.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Probably best if a tunneling device...lots of experience in the ant community.

Reply to
Bill Martin

s-meme spread everywhere and nearly impossible to stamp out. Water is hea ted by broadband dielectric losses, not by narrowband resonant absorption. This is done intentionally. If we used 50GHz magnetrons, then all the w attage would be absorbed by a thin outer layer of food, and we'd end up wit h conventional cooking behavior. By operating far out on the absorption ta il, RF penetrates deep into water, giving the "cooks inside" effect.

much higher at boiling temperature. And it's not a narrow resonance (nee d gas molecules for that, not bulk liquid.)

water.

Yep, just need high volts AC, dipole molecules, and bonds between them.

The EM field torques the molecules, injecting energy to break those intermo lecular bonds which keep water liquid. EM energy gets absorbed and turned into bond vibrations (phonons: heat.)

Reply to
Bill Beaty

What aspect of the molecules toggle? The description I read talked about hydrogen bonds.

--

Rick
Reply to

"Forced back and forth"? You mean they are moved? Can you explain how that happens? They have no net charge. They have a dipole moment which would cause a potential rotation to align with a magnetic field.

Do you have any references? I haven't found any references that claim anything like this.

--

Rick
Reply to

That matches what I read.

--

Rick
Reply to

Which psych ward is this posting from?

--

Rick
Reply to

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 02:19:37 -0500, rickman Gave us:

The same way a ferrous medium gets "oriented" in a magnetic field.

It is not just water that is able to be heated.

I have used it for oil, alcohol, brominated solvents, fluorocarbon dielectric fluids, etc.

The key is that certain liquids are able to be flipped back and forth and the flipping exhibits heat.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 02:22:00 -0500, rickman Gave us:

Ding!

The microwave IS exhibiting a magnetic field into the cavity and DOES orient them *really fast*.

That exhibits heat as they have hysteresis and are thus being *forced* into said orientations.