OT: Do PIIGS fly?

From an investment newsletter:

"The U.S. dollar is an 'IOU nothing.' But the euro is a 'who owes you nothing?'." The Greek bailout announced by the European Union and the International Monetary Fund over the weekend finally puts the question to rest.

The answer? American and German taxpayers.

Of the 111 billion-euro bailout, the EU will contribute 80 billion euros. Germany, as the largest and most stable EU member, is picking up

28% of that tab. The IMF is paying the remaining 31 billion euros. Since the U.S. is the IMF's largest contributor, at 17.09%, that puts U.S. taxpayers on the hook.

The Greek bailout (equal to US$146 billion) was meant to "shock and awe the markets and re-establish confidence," according to the IMF's Paul Thomsen. The mission failed. The euro and European stocks are both down following the announcement.

While the money will meet Greece's short-term liquidity needs, the bailout does nothing to quell fears surrounding Portugal and Spain. It also sets a dangerous precedent of endless money printing.

But don't worry... the EU doesn't think the massive debt hanging over the other PIGS ? Portugal, Italy, and Spain ? matters. Luxembourg Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker, who chaired the bailout talks, said Greece is "in no way comparable" to Portugal and Spain. French Finance Minister Christine Lagarde claims, "Greece was a special case."

As it has been written time and time again, when government officials try to calm market fears, they're probably lying. The European crisis is no different. Spain and Portugal are exactly like Greece. Both countries are loaded with debt and in danger of default.

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Mon, 03 May 2010 15:28:58 -0700) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

It is a bit like the US accusing Iran of having nukes, while it has itself more then 5000 in the drawer. I would worry about your huge national debt more then about Greece's tiny one. What you are doing is called blowing smoke. You have to pay back Japan, and the Chinese, and you cannot. Printing new doolaars does not really help.

Well, Ok at least you have free oil now, just go to miami beach with a bucket and wait for it to arrive. Wonder if you can distill the stuff easily yourself. hehe

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Greece's "economy" is, shall we say, a bit smaller that the US "economy". Of all of the nations, only Canada (so far) is under the 100 percent spend-more-than-you-got mode. Even a drunken sailor knows when to stop spending, and the majority of the nations print and spend, print more, spend more in an insane spiral that will destroy the worlds economic stability BIG TIME. It is IMPOSSIBLE to counterfeit to prosperity. Perhaps all nations should fire all politicians, trash "government" and try "lazy fare"; the fare ("money" we have aint worth nuttin).

Reply to
Robert Baer

ce

ce

er

is

es

ny one.

bucket

onomy".

nt

Ahh... but would a drunken sailor with a VISA card know when to stop spending?

:p

Reply to
Michael

one.

bucket

Certainly. When it gets rejected. The sailor can't print money, particularly when he's on a binge.

Reply to
krw

When I was in the service you couldn't get a credit card with a rank below E5. They didn't believe you would live to pay it off if you were assigned to duty in Vietnam.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

http://www.flickr.com/photos/materrell/
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Classic.

me

I saw Christine Lagarde on one of the PBS shows, blabbering something matter-of-factly about America really needing to redistribute more wealth. But, she wasn't fat, so she gets a couple points for that.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat