OT: Copying CDs to mp3 ??

I just bought iPOD minis for each of the 4 teen-aged granddaughters, and one for myself ;-)

Particularly, I have "The da Vinci Code" on CD, but would like to get it onto iPOD, so I can listen to books when I'm flying.

Anyone that can advise me on how to copy a CD to mp3 to the iPOD?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Try

(it's free!)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Super! Appreciate the pointers!

...Jim Thompson

Known as EAC. Used to rip audio CDs.
Download the Lame Win32 DLL.

All of the above is free. After installing EAC, place lame_enc.dll in the EAC install directory.

--
Mark
Reply to

Super easy. The iPod came with a program called iTunes. (Or go grab a free copy now from the Apple site.) After installation of your iPod, go to the settings (Edit / Preferences) for Importing. For audio books, I generally set the iPod setting for Switch the first drop down to MP3 encoder. Set the setting to Custom, and for books, import at 96kbps, 44 Hz, Stereo, normal. (Music you'll want higher kbps for the quality.)

Plop a music CD into your drive (including audio book CDs). iTunes will automatically import the CD and save it as a MP3.

Easy!

Reply to
Rather Play Pinball

Search on "burn mp3"

Should find something that'll work.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

My plextor can extract wav files from a audio CD. I then use MusicMatch to convert to mp3's. How to get it into the Ipod, I havnt a clue.

Martin Riddle

Jim,

You've already got a lot of good responses. I'll just add one thing since I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

The process of converting a CD into a computer readable file (e.g., a .wav file) is called "ripping."

So if you search for "CD ripper," you will probably find all kinds of stuff.

Under linux, I used "CDparanoia" to rip an audio CD into .wav files (one per track), then converted the .wav to .mp3 with "lame." I don't know whether either of those programs work on windows.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

Install iTunes, then drag the CD image into the library. It doesn't have to be music to work in iTunes. Sync to your iPod, and there you have it.

--
Jim Nagy
Elm Electronics

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I use a program called CDex. It can be found at

. It encorporates the Lame encoder. The nice thing about it is that you can (with an internet hookup) have CDex go to an internet CD database and look up the name of the album, the artist, and the names of all the songs on the CD. Saves you doing a lot of typing. I've ripped all my CDs this way. I have all the mp3s stored on a server and can play them at the server using a program called glirnath, or on the remote machine with a program called gnump3d.

--
Sooner dot boomer at gbronline dot com
Reply to

Jim Thompson in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic: : I just bought iPOD minis for each of the 4 teen-aged granddaughters, : and one for myself ;-) : : Particularly, I have "The da Vinci Code" on CD, but would like to get : it onto iPOD, so I can listen to books when I'm flying. : : Anyone that can advise me on how to copy a CD to mp3 to the iPOD? : : Thanks! : : ...Jim Thompson

XPlay will interact with both Windows and Mac formatted iPods from a Windows PC, including Windows Me and Windows 98SE. May be useful alongside iTunes.

I used the 15 day trial to get some files from a friends Mac iPod to my 98SE PC with a firewire cable. Excellent product IMO. AAC/mp4 files might get you better fidelity or use less space than mp3. iTunes should do that (my friend did his Mac iPod music files with it), but I've used dbPowerAmps free Music Converter
with appropriate codecs.

Reply to
RdM