Copying Pi 4 image to a larger SD card

My Pi 4 came with a 16 GB card and I installed and configured the Pi (from
NOOBS) using this card. But I notice that there's only about 1.5 GB free -
83%.

If I make an image of the card using Win32 Disk Imager and copy the image
back to a 32 GB card, is there a way of making RaspiOS increase the size of
the / partition to use the full space on the card?

Or is there another, better disk imager tool to use for this?

Re: Copying Pi 4 image to a larger SD card

RaspiOS can do it. Open a console, type sudo raspi-config.
choose 7 Advanced Options then A1 Expand Filesystem.
You have to reboot.

Greetings, Kallu
--
Have a nice day <

Re: Copying Pi 4 image to a larger SD card

Thanks. I'll give it a try. Whatever happens I'll still have the 16 GB card
so if I trash the 32 GB copy, I won't have lost the original.

Re: Copying Pi 4 image to a larger SD card

Have you got a USB drive or thumbdrive or a SDcard USB adapter.
You can rsync (use -avx) the root to a large thumbdrive or usb disk and
use that to boot.
Just have to change UUID= in /boot/cmdline.txt to the UUID of the USB
drive and update (newdrive)/etc/fstab to reflect changes.

If an SDcard format it with 2 partitions like your current card and
rsync (-avx) the data to the new partitions. Then change UUID references
as above.

--

Chris Elvidge, England

Site Timeline