OT: Complicated Electronics Makes My Head Hurt

Long periods of mental work seems to make my head hurt. It also makes me tired.

Why is that?

IIRC there's no nerves in the brain. So it can't be my brain in pain.

Maybe it's eye strain from lots of reading? Maybe it's tense muscles from being motionless too long and it's causing increased vascular pressure? Maybe it's a sign of mental overload? Maybe it's stress from trying to understand difficult material?

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Your brain burns about 11 Watts. Maybe a bit more if you are thinking

*really* hard.

A great deal of the brain is ALL "nerves".

There's a half inch of tissue between your scalp and your skull. Maybe that hurts.

Yes. I cannot see like I used to be able to.

Ride a bike to and from work. Get back in shape. Eat more salads for lunch... at least one lunch meal a week. More is better.

Only if you think about it as being a problem too much.

Maybe it is cholesterol. Get a statin prescription. Good for the heart anyway.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

While the brain has no pain receptors for itself, the scalp does. Are you scratching your head a lot?

--
John
Reply to

I thought the brain was full of neurons.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

...the pain in the brain is a strain... (might be some music that could be set to this)

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes, it DOES help to eat more than once a week...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Koodies?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Insane in the Brain?

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

"Insane in the Brain" was a hit single by the American hip hop group Cypress Hill. It was released in 1993 and reached number 19 in the Hot

100 chart, and number 1 in the U.S. rap chart."

Chorus "Insane in the membrane (Insane in the brain! ) Insane in the membrane (insane in the Brain! ) Insane in the membrane (crazy insane got no brain! ) Insane in the membrane (insane in the Brain! ) "

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Without nerves there would be no brain tissue.

It is mostly nerves and defines pain.

That contributes too your eyes are in your head as well

In either case take more breaks, you are made of flesh, for goodness sakes.

Reply to
JosephKK

I'm the opposite. Intense thinking, especially brainstorming, stimulates me, almost gets me high. Leaning over my drawing table, blank vellum before me, sharp Berol F pencil in hand, feels like getting off a ski lift and standing at the top of a run.

Programming, for more than a week or so, can be depressing. Manuals are mostly associated with dread.

John

Actually, it has been proven that if you ate half what the current standard diet is, you will live many years longer.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Perhaps I need correcting.. I thought nerves are like a data busses and neurons are like the parts that make up a CPU. Interacting neurons do thinking. The nerves are cables for the senses such like seeing and hearing.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

True, mostly.

Most aging goes linearly with calorie intake, it seems.

But eat just half and it's generally too little--you die.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

No. We're extreme gluttons. Eating half the recommended diet would not mean death, and would extend one's life.

There was an experiment with rabbits, mice, rats, and other "test" type animals. A group was given half the diet of the other group. They lived almost twice as long.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Maybe you're thinking of McKay's classic research in the 30's. There have been many, many experiments with all sorts of animals, bugs and worms. Rats, especially.

Feed any of 'em 2/3rds and they live ~50% longer (3/2 total). The less you feed them, the longer they live. Right up to to the point where they starve to death, that is. Less than about half, and they die.

I eat about 1,900 calories. Could I live off 950?

Fat chance. :-)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Same here. Glad to hear I am not the only one still using large vellum pads. In my case it is mostly the Clearprint 1000HP for analog and the

1000HP-4 for logic stuff. Made in California. Where else ... My new favorite entry devices are the automatic "turn and protrude" type pencils with well seasoned Scripto 46mils HB-leads. Very easy to erase if needed. At a client: "Eeeuw! Is that mouse turds?" ... "No, those are eraser crumbs" ... "Huh?"

Real men don't read those :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I use blue-grid D-size paper, Clearprint 1000 of course. And I have my electric eraser and electric sharpener handy.

ftp://66.117.156.8/RainyDay.jpg

I find that CAD slows me down, what with tiny screens and library issues and such. When I'm done, I give a blueprint (yes, we have a blueline machine) to my cad guy, and he enters the schematic, exactly as drawn, into PADS.

We write the manual *before* we design the gadget. It works as our design spec.

John

No electric erasers/sharpeners here. After I switched to the Scriptos I no longer need the sharpener.

Hey, the slide-rule is missing. City life ain't my thing, here is the view out of my office window:

(the railing is replaced by now)

Can't do that since I am my own CAD guy. But layouts are always farmed out, except for the occasional hotrod analog stage.

Same here, manual and schematic are done concurrently, with the spec section completed before the vellum pad is pulled out. I thought you meant reading manuals.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Perhaps you can find and coherently state some difference between nerve cells and neurons.

Reply to
JosephKK