OT Coleman PowerMate Generator

That's where I was going, although I'm also suspecting the field current control circuit.

The inexpensive way to design such a generator would be to rectify the

120V AC for the field coil, or have an auxiliary AC output winding that gets rectified; bad diodes in that rectifier would render the field circuit useless.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

I've located a pictorial on the Coleman site, it has a bridge diode and a capacitor. I'll have a look in the next few days. Mike

Reply to
amdx

Tim Wescott wrote in news:05KdnYqQ8YCKftDVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@web-ster.com:

I was thinking the field coil is several small coils on the rotor,the stator coils being the AC output,thus no slip rings and brushes needed for the high current output. A bad solder joint or broken wire on one rotor (field) coil would reduce but not eliminate the AC output.

It might be interesting to scope the AC output,see what the output waveform looks like.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I agree with you Joe, I would prefer top posting, When I go through a thread it's a constant to have to page down through all the stuff you have already read. I'm still looking for a program that would open a post and automatically page down to the bottom of that post. Mike

Reply to
amdx

Its business use. Mike

Reply to
amdx

Oh really? Please kindly show me this rule?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Yes, but the OP reports that he can "remagnetize" the generator and have it produce nearly full output for a while, then watch while it fades away. That sounds more like the field coils being fine, but the drive circuits having failed.

Although if they're in parallel it could be one bad field coil and a drive circuit overheating from pushing too hard -- I suspect my answer is more likely to be correct, at least if I've got the evidence right.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

RFI-EMI-GUY wrote in news:Lmx3k.2323$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews8.bellsouth.net:

do you know the difference between "rule" and "convention?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yes.

A RULE is what we use to measure distance.

A CONVENTION is where we nominate candidates.

Any more stupid questions?

Jim

-- "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

"RST Engineering \\(jw\\)" wrote in news:uYmdnZCeS7APXdPVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

No,you've proven you don't know.(also not what "context" is)

it's pointless to go further on this with you.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yes there is a Usenet RULE about Off Topic posting. Which seems to be the "convention" on S.E.D.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

While Mike is in there this would also be a good time to take a look at the slip rings and brushes. Three years in storage could lead to a substantial build-up of corrosion and other gunk.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I thought maybe the diodes and cap rectified AC for the field coil. But I haven't found a schematic and don't have a solid idea how it works. Mike

Reply to
amdx

There seems to be an unwitten rule in usenet that there will always will be someone available to tell you when you have broken a convention. Mike

Reply to
amdx

"amdx" wrote in news:b4d6a$484ef8d1$4501396f$ snipped-for-privacy@KNOLOGY.NET:

WRT top posting,when a new person views a top posted reply,they probably do not know just what the reply is to until they scroll down and read the last post,the one being replied to. it's also annoying.

Worse if someone "snips" the post for brevity.

threads do tend to drift OT,but it's easy enough to ignore them once that happens,thus no big deal.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Let me ask you, this thread is about 20 posts long, how many of these did you have to scroll to the bottom to read. I'll guess almost all. I'm sure you didn't reread every post. A new person could read the original post and know the subject. He could also read a top post and reply to it on top. With bottom posting, everyone that reads the thread must scroll to the bottom. For my purposes top posting would be great. There may be some good reason that bottom posting became the convention, but for most people reading the thread in almost real time, it's not the best method. With top posting a few people may need to scroll down to catch up, but not every reader, like bottom posting requires. Mike

Reply to
amdx

A few minutes ago I pulled the cover and found a 19 turn coil in the stator burned (overheated, no insulation left on copper). The unit has a pcb with

8 diodes and a capacitor, a foil on the pcb has overheated and opened. The foil goes to a 470uf 200v capacitor. The only connection to that part of the open foil is the capacitor. Leading me to think the cap is shorted, but at this time and temperature, the cap shows very high resistance (over 2 meg) and deflects the meter both ways if I charge the cap and reverse the leads. ( deflects? I'm using a digital meter, but you know what I mean). The diodes all check good. I don't know if I'll attempt repair at this point. It looks like the 19 turn coil could be replaced fairly easy, it's pretty loose in the slot. The motor was not dipped in varnish. Later, Mike
Reply to
amdx

If posts were properly snipped to save the elusive bandwidth, new comers would never know what the post was about.

So top posting does not matter, only those who have been following the thread would read it.

So the bottom poster crowd must be keeping the entire post just so they can botton post, just in case a new comer will be able to read the entire post to save bandwidth.

donald

Reply to
donald

I pulled the stator off of the generator and upon further inspection I see the unit was dipped, but only about 7/8 of the unit was covered with varnish. I suspect the unvarnished part of the coil vibrated causing the coil to short to the stator. Mike

Reply to
amdx

"amdx" wrote in news:dba63$484fbf35$18d6b40c$ snipped-for-privacy@KNOLOGY.NET:

it only takes a fraction of a second to scroll down. and you can read the LAST comment before the reply.

Importantly,it keeps the thread orderly and in chronological order. Very helpful if you decide to lokk at archived posts on the thread.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik