OT: Can you answer this 3rd grade homework question?

10.jpeg?dl=0
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Sorry about the linesplit.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

404
Reply to
Robert Baer

2 * 4 = 8; 2 * 6 = 12; single-digit multipliers done using 2. 2 * 12 = 24 & similar, 2 * 20 = 40 & similar, 2 * 22 = 44 etc. Then one gets to play with 3, etc. Do not see a pattern to generate these so-called fact families, meaning one may be stuck in wasting lotza time trying to generate all of them.
Reply to
Robert Baer

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I believe Mochizuki has done some recent work along these lines.

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

This sounds like that n! on calcvlators.

How many around here have ever once used that function for something that made money ?

Reply to
jurb6006

Permutations without replacement? Binomial coefficient? Taylor series?

For large n, n! approaches (n/e)^n asymptotically, which is used in applications all the time

's_approximation

If you interpolate the factorial to the real numbers, you get the gamma function, probably the most important non elementary function in applied math,

though interestingly it has been proved that the function is not the solution of any "simple" ODE:

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

That's been the case for a very long time -- by which I mean, that there is no unique Gamma function. To take a little tangent from Holder's theorem specifically.

There are more than a few analytical extensions of the factorial function, to real, negative and complex numbers. At least one doesn't exhibit poles for negative integers, which is very interesting. I forget whose function it is, or if it's missing certain analytical properties, or that it's just hard to use so it never caught on.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

It's an excuse to get kids use multiplication tables.

Make a table from 2->10 by 2->50. Fill in the products under 100. Remove the redundant products. Mark the equations with 3 digits. Count them.

Third grade homework is not suppose to be easy for you to do or not take a lot of time. It's an exercise.

I don't know if this will preserve the formatting.

Reply to
Wanderer

Check! Double check. Checkmate.

Reply to