OT: Best streaming device?

Amazon Firestick, Roku Express, ... , what is recommended? ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"Long live impudence! It is my guardian angel in this world."

"It is important to foster individuality, for only the individual can produce the new ideas."

"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth."

-Albert Einstein

I use Chromecast and AppleTV

Some devices offer digital assistants if you want to have a dialogue with your TV

Search google for reviews to find what you like best

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I think that child-size sex robots are being produced too. Saw a headline anyway, didn't click to the article.

Except kiddie robots. Because then Googol will know you're a wierdo.

Reply to
Cheddar Man

I have the Roku 3, an older hdmi unit, no problems. Check the reviews, the 'sticks' tend to have slower menu action.

Also, check to be sure the app you want is availble for the player. I have a samsung blu-ray player and there is no sling-tv app for it.

Martin Riddle

On 4/14/2018 6:03 AM, Martin Riddle wrote:

I have the Firestick on two of my TVs, dropped the cable TV and Phone about two weeks ago. I like the user interface on the Firestick, I had a Raspberry Pi with Kodi on it, but, I never really learned how to make good use of it. There are two apps on the Firestick that I use more than any others, "Terrarium TV" and "Modbro". Terrarium TV has 1000s of TV Shows and Movies from the past, TV shows are setup by season and episode. There is a favorites button where you can put all the things you want to watch. Modbro is live streaming of TV networks. It has a lot of the usual stuff you find on cable, all the news channel CNBC, Foxnews, MSNBC, Bloomberg. Then the others like HGTV, Discovery, TLC, FX, History, etc. When I comes to setting up the Firestick, Youtube is your best friend. I set my laptop in front of the TV and started the video I wanted to follow, play, then pause and do the step, play and continue. After a few tines you kinda get the jist of it and can load things on your own. I'll agree using the Firestick is a little slow, but I never had a ROKU to compare it to. I have a Sony TV, that is a little slow any way, The second TV is an LG and it is faster than the Sony.. I have about 7 other apps on my Firestick but rarely use them. I also have the Amazon Prime videos, but rarely use it, and Kodi which may have some utility, but I have only used it a few times. The kids added Netflix and Hulu, but I have only used those a few times. I got my Firestick on Sale for $24.99 and then got a second for $24.99 plus a $10 customer convenience credit. Don't now why the did that. It is not the same as having cable TV, you can't just flip channels, you need to decide what to watch and when. You click on your favorites and now you have 10 different shows you can watch. btw, it marks your programs so you know what you have watched. Once you have your Device, I found this video showing the use of app DroidAdmin the easiest.

I'll admit I was up the learning curve a little bit before I saw this, meaning I don't know if this beginner info, but it maybe. Also if you use Terrarium TV, get the app "Real-Debrid" it is a low cost pay service, but picks out high Quality streams that will prevent buffering. The quality streams have a green font instead of white. Interesting, during the bombing last night, I picked streams from other country news services to see what they had to say, even watched some RT TV and Racheal Maddow although she's on another planet. I suspect there is a Syrian station streaming I didn't look long enough to find it. Dozens of other country streaming on Modbro. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

People have given me the Amazon and Roku gadgets. I haven't set up either of them.

lunatic fringe electronics

The slow interfaces make this streaming stuff fustrating to use. Why not make it enjoyable?

Sling-TV made a change not long ago that allows you to popup a mini channel guide at the bottom of the screen. It's kind of handy for looking for something else to watch, while watching the current channel. But, I agree, channel surfing is almost impossible to do these days.

Reply to
Martin Riddle

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 8:12:18 PM UTC-4, Jim Thompson wrote: Roku, but they recently changed the user interface --- and it sucks!!

Also, look into a Tablo (for off-the-air DVR)

A Roku + Tablo is a hard-to-beat combination for inexpensive TV watching.

Reply to
mpm

Ordinary TV is so abysmal these days that all we do is watch (mostly old) movies... thus my inquiry.

Try out both and let me know. Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

           To those of us in my age bracket...

           GREEN means inexperienced and/or incompetent.

Did you have any recommendation to solve your problem?

Reply to
amdx

I'm happy with the Roku3, and they seem to have the support for apps from their vendors (netflix sling etc), So If I had to do it again I'd get the Roku Ultra ( it's the same price as my 3)

Martin Riddle

[snip]
[snip]

Just ordered Roku Ultra from Amazon 1-1/2 hours ago ;-) ...Jim Thompson

           To those of us in my age bracket...

           GREEN means inexperienced and/or incompetent.

Can you install apps on the Roku like Modbro and Terrarium TV?

Reply to
amdx

Not familiar with those, but they all seem to have a store where you can select the spps to use whatever service you want to use. No more sneaker net.

Reply to
Martin Riddle

What I like about my 3 is that it has RF and IR remote support. So I can use my Bose soundbar remote with it as well. I'm sure the Ultra has the same deal.

The ear buds for the RF remote come in handy too.

Martin Riddle

Just installed Roku Ultra. Though not fond of using wireless (until I can pull some Cat-6 to the great room), it is working flawlessly... no stuttering like sometimes the CenturyLink cable misbehaves.

Thanks for the tip. ...Jim Thompson

           To those of us in my age bracket...

           GREEN means inexperienced and/or incompetent.

Roku calls them "channels":

I have a Roku 3. Martin is correct that the Roku 3 remote is noticeably more responsive. I had a Roku 2 and a previous Roku version that were really slow to respond.

Mobdro is an Android app and only runs on Android devices. Roku does not run Android: I tried a few months ago on my Chromebook. It didn't work very well.

Same problem with Terrarium TV: It's also Android only, but can be convinced to run on a Roku TV by playing the video from an Android smartphone. I do this with my Samsung S6 phone. It works, but is not very convenient: Be sure to donate something to Terrarium TV to get rid of the ads.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Is there a User's Manual? There's extra buttons on the remote, with no explanation in the Quick-Start Guide. On-line I can find nothing but juvenile videos :-( ...Jim Thompson

           To those of us in my age bracket...

           GREEN means inexperienced and/or incompetent.

Multi function remote? I think some are for the Roku TV and the Green and Blue ones are for that stupid game thats in the system.

Martin Riddle

Martin:

Suppose you start a movie (Netflix) and decide it's a dud. how do you get rid of it? It keeps showing up as an icon, saying "Resume playing" :-( ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |